1911 for ccw - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 for ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Let me preface this post by saying....I have no issue with a person who spends the bucks on a "high end" custom built carry pistol. It is a personal choice. I recommend Colt:

On or near me everyday since I obtained my CCW. Not fancy, .45 ACP. And no, the recoil spring / plunger has never shot downrange, after thousands of rounds and ten years of service, the recoil spring plunger looks the same as it did when I pulled this pistol out of the factory box. I will not cut the slide on a Colt to install a recoil system that is supposedly more reliable. I will trust that if it was necessary, Colt would have changed it. In the Officers and the 1991A1 Compact, they did not.

You can still find these pistols. They are not cheap, nor the "best", but they do the job. You know, sort of a "joe six pack" working pistol. I am confident as a person can be in any piece of machinery that this weapon will save my life when it is needed.

For what it's worth,
regards,
Steve

Last edited by crockett007; 03-23-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #32

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
Let me preface this post by saying....I have no issue with a person who spends the bucks on a "high end" custom built carry pistol. It is a personal choice. I recommend Colt:

On or near me everyday since I obtained my CCW. Not fancy, .45 ACP. And no, the recoil spring / plunger has never shot downrange, after thousands of rounds and ten years of service, the recoil spring plunger looks the same as it did when I pulled this pistol out of the factory box. I will not cut the slide on a Colt to install a recoil system that is supposedly more reliable. I will trust that if it was necessary, Colt would have changed it. In the Officers and the 1991A1 Compact, they did not.

You can still find these pistols. They are not cheap, nor the "best", but they do the job. You know, sort of a "joe six pack" working pistol. I am confident as a person can be in any piece of machinery that this weapon will save my life when it is needed.

For what it's worth,
regards,
Steve

Nuf said!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #33

Default Kimber

My new CCW is a Kimber Compact Stainless II. Light, fast, rust resistant and shoots.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by epwrangler View Post
My new CCW is a Kimber Compact Stainless II. Light, fast, rust resistant and shoots.
I was thinking about getting a Kimber Compact Stainless II, but I was worried whether my pinky would fit on the grip. Do you have any trouble with it?

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 06-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #35

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I was thinking about getting a Kimber Compact Stainless II, but I was worried whether my pinky would fit on the grip. Do you have any trouble with it?
Yes you will!

Just go with the 4.25" Commander size. You will regret the mouse gun if you have even medium size hands.

That or you will do what I did and add a mag-well and an 8 rnd mag to give your pinky purchase.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #36

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but dont think my question needs a separate one.

A few weeks ago I bought a Colt full size (5" barrel), and plan on getting my CHL sometime in the near future. Would that be to big to use as a ccw? What are my options for holsters to use?

Old 06-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #37

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm pretty sure you'll need to get a smaller version for carrying concealed in the summer unless you're a big guy & dress accordingly to conceal such a large pistol. Doing so would severely limit your styles/modes of dress.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Yes you will!

Just go with the 4.25" Commander size. You will regret the mouse gun if you have even medium size hands.

That or you will do what I did and add a mag-well and an 8 rnd mag to give your pinky purchase.

Thanks Cane, that's what I figured. The barrel is a 4" but the grip is the same length as the 3", I think it's 4.75" as opposed to the 5.25" on the regular 4". Thanks for the info.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #39

those are awesome snake skin pistol grips

girlsnguns7.jpg  

Old 06-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you all get an opportunity check out the 4" Springfield Champion Operator. Along with the excellent warranty, price wise it's not too bad. I haven't shot it yet, but it feels pretty balanced and might make a good CC gun in my opinion. I'll let you know how it shoots when I get mine.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.