1911 Carry Weapon - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Carry Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Ed Brown Kobra Carry,
4.25" Commander model slide, single stack commander Bobtail® frame.

It just looks big in my picture.
http://www.edbrown.com/kobracarry.htm

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #12

Liked 958 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 738

An officers size is what I prefer. I'm 5'7" and sometimes carry a full size in the winter but find it hard to conceal in warmer climes. Plus your gun WILL be confiscated in a shooting and you may not get it back. Here in Ky. you will but some states not so much. I have found this gun to be uber reliable with any ammo and at $500 out the door it's not a small fortune if I don't get it back or it's locked up in a court case for years. Just my opinion.

USMC 74-78

Last edited by limbkiller; 12-03-2012 at 11:18 PM.
canebrake Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #13

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Can a full sized 1911 be concealed effectively...

Yes...I did so for the first 7 years of my 17 years of EDC.

Barrel length, particularly when carrying IWB, has very little to do with a guns concealability.

Much bigger factors are the guns width and height as measured from the bottom of the mag well to the top of the slide.

1911's are still some of the thinnest auto pistols you can buy and come with what most agree is the best fighting trigger ever devised...short, crisp, and CONSISTANT!

Many years and many guns later I've come to the conclusion that the ideal "uber concealable" EDC gun "for me" is: A. No wider than 1" and B. No taller than 4"

For these reasons I've opted for a Kahr PM 9 simply because I work in office attire and must be able to hide my EDC under a tucked in button down shirt.

However, when winter attire allows, I still enjoy breaking out either my 5" Colt or my 4" Kimber, IWB with a dual mag pouch on the weak side...just to balance the weight.

Good Luck and be Safe!

Tack

Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 153 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Ed Brown Kobra Carry,
4.25" Commander model slide, single stack commander Bobtail® frame.

It just looks big in my picture.
http://www.edbrown.com/kobracarry.htm
I'm still trying to figure out what causes me to completely hone in on one firearm while glossing over ten similar ones, but I've been obsessed with the Kobra Carry since I saw one of your pics recently. Absolutely gorgeous weapon sir.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #15

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is going to be carried dailey and budget im looking to stay below $1200 but im willing to pay more for a great firearm. Price really isnt gonna bother me because im getting this to protect my family and myself. I want a full size not really interested in a smaller frame. I work in a factory so its locked in a safebox in my toolbox when im at work and I know I can conseal a full size gun. Ive carried my Gp100 for almost a year with no problems at about 4'oclock and plan on doing the same with my 1911. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #16

Liked 79 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
If I may offer a suggestion

Ed Brown Kobra Carry in .45ACP
NICE!!!!!! Droll. ... ..... ..... .....

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P238
CZ P01 SDP, CZ 75-PCR
Glock 19
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Walther PPS
Ruger SR556E
Springfield XDs 9MM/45 ACP
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Look at the Dan Wesson C-BOB.
This is an older one I picked up. 10mm. As you can see, it offers almost the same options as my Ed Brown

The price I paid was well below your ceiling.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan View Post

NICE!!!!!! Droll. ... ..... ..... .....
Ed browns are just so darn expensive for my blood. I actually got offered a job there recently but had to turn it down due to extenuating circumstances. Its a damn shame too that's the job offer of a life time. Ed is a really cool guy one of the nicest I've ever met and makes a superior product. Even down to the materials and processes they employ. Its nice to see such a great product can still be made in America.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #19

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok me and the wife went to the range the other day for a little shooting. And I was looking at their rental guns, seen a nice Springfield Trp and we decided to rent it. At first she didnt want to shoot it. But she is always that way at first, same thing happened when I bought my Gp100 and she shoots that just as much as I do now. But anyways I loaded a magzine and she fire eight rounds and had the biggest smile in her face and says thats what I want to carry. So now both me and my wife are looking for 1911's, so for me to get my new firearm its gonna cost me double because now I have to buy two of them. The joys of being married to a gun nut.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Ok me and the wife went to the range the other day for a little shooting. And I was looking at their rental guns, seen a nice Springfield Trp and we decided to rent it. At first she didnt want to shoot it. But she is always that way at first, same thing happened when I bought my Gp100 and she shoots that just as much as I do now. But anyways I loaded a magzine and she fire eight rounds and had the biggest smile in her face and says thats what I want to carry. So now both me and my wife are looking for 1911's, so for me to get my new firearm its gonna cost me double because now I have to buy two of them. The joys of being married to a gun nut.
That's the truth. The bad part is when you created that monster lol