Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 build question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default 1911 build question

The 1911 Gods must be smiling on me. First I bought another Kimber this week, and now a long time friend of mine is giving me a complete Kimber slide.
It is a sad story. He had a Kimber and put the .22 conversion kit on it and took his son to the range. They stopped for dinner on the way home, and while they were in the restraunt, someone broke into his car and stole several things, including his Kimber. It has been two years and the gun has never surfaced. So he is giving me his complete .45 slide.
I do not know a lot about 1911's, I know more about AR's than 1911's, so my question is, speaking in AR terms, since he is giving a complete upper (slide), can I just put it on any lower (frame) on it and have it work properly? Does it have to be a Kimber frame, or would another frame work, and if so which frame do you all recomend?
All I know right now is that it is a complete slide, with barrel, recoil spring, etc, and it is the 5 inch goverment length. I will pick it up today and see what model the Kimber was.
Thanks for any help you guys can give me with this.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #2

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
The 1911 Gods must be smiling on me. First I bought another Kimber this week, and now a long time friend of mine is giving me a complete Kimber slide.
It is a sad story. He had a Kimber and put the .22 conversion kit on it and took his son to the range. They stopped for dinner on the way home, and while they were in the restraunt, someone broke into his car and stole several things, including his Kimber. It has been two years and the gun has never surfaced. So he is giving me his complete .45 slide.
I do not know a lot about 1911's, I know more about AR's than 1911's, so my question is, speaking in AR terms, since he is giving a complete upper (slide), can I just put it on any lower (frame) on it and have it work properly? Does it have to be a Kimber frame, or would another frame work, and if so which frame do you all recomend?
All I know right now is that it is a complete slide, with barrel, recoil spring, etc, and it is the 5 inch goverment length. I will pick it up today and see what model the Kimber was.
Thanks for any help you guys can give me with this.
Chances are good that it'll slide right on most any 1911 lower & work fine
It mite take a little fitting tho- a few strokes with a stone or simialar

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Yup. What he said. ^^^^^

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Doesn't Kimber have that grip safety that activates the firing pin plunger (ala "series 80", or "schwartz")?
If so, you may have to remove that from the slide first.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 11-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, well, I guess it's a good day. I just found out a good friend of mine has a good friend at STI. Tomorrow he is going to give me a discounted price on a frame. Then he said he would fit the slide to the frame for me. Maybe this mutt gun will turn out pretty nice.
I will keep you guys posted on what happens.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #7

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
Well, well, I guess it's a good day. I just found out a good friend of mine has a good friend at STI. Tomorrow he is going to give me a discounted price on a frame. Then he said he would fit the slide to the frame for me. Maybe this mutt gun will turn out pretty nice.
I will keep you guys posted on what happens.
Dam, you shud play the lottery

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Please keep us in the loop. This sounds good.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

picked up the slide from my friend yesterday, and I am stoked. It turns out to be a series I Kimber Custom Shop, Super Target.
I still have not heard back on the frame yet.
I will keep you updated.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I made a mistake. It is a Kimber Super Match.

I just talked to my buddy's buddy today, and half of the STI story is true. I am getting an STI forged and checkered frame at a discount, but the guy will only fit STI slides to their frames. Oh well, It will take 6 weeks to get the frame in, so I guess I have time to find a gunsmith that will fit the slide.

I want to do the frame in a flat O.D. green. What should I do? Have it parkerized, or try the dura coat product? Any first hand knowledge of the two would be welcome. Other ideas are always welcome.