1911 build - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

1911 build


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Yeah, the problem with building a 1911 is that most "drop in" parts......don't. They need hand fitting to get it right.

Now if you have machining experience, and you have access to tools, it's totally do able.

But if your home hobby kit consists of the usual screwdrivers, a hammer, and a Dremel, I would highly recommend against this as well.

Lots of good guns out there, both used and new, it great prices in this economy.

JD
Dillinger is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah, the problem with building a 1911 is that most "drop in" parts......don't. They need hand fitting to get it right.

Now if you have machining experience, and you have access to tools, it's totally do able.

But if your home hobby kit consists of the usual screwdrivers, a hammer,
Quote:
and a Dremel,
I would highly recommend against this as well.

Lots of good guns out there, both used and new, it great prices in this economy.

JD
Com'on now- All things are possible long as ya gots a dremel
__________________
Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET
HOSSFLY is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Com'on now- All things are possible long as ya gots a dremel
LMAO! I love you're spirit Hoss, you old dog you.

The Dremel is the greatest tool ever invented, if you ARE a gunsmith and waiting for home hobby kits to come in the door for "repair".
Dillinger is offline  
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
LMAO! I love you're spirit Hoss, you old dog you.

The Dremel is the greatest tool ever invented, if you ARE a gunsmith and waiting for home hobby kits to come in the door for "repair".
ABSULUTLY
__________________
Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET
HOSSFLY is offline  
Dillinger Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ozz2g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thanx for the info... So I've seen the RIA 1911's, but are they any good? I was also looking at getting a Ruger 1911, but my friend says that after markets, such as a different trigger group, are hard to come by, and you have to stick with the Ruger brand. Is this true?
Ozz2g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ozz2g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I just picked up a Ruger LC9 for the wife, and now I want to upgrade from a Hi-point, and I really dig the 1911.
Ozz2g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz2g View Post
Thanx for the info... So I've seen the RIA 1911's, but are they any good? I was also looking at getting a Ruger 1911, but my friend says that after markets, such as a different trigger group, are hard to come by, and you have to stick with the Ruger brand. Is this true?
the RIA 1911's are very good pistols and are decently priced. as far as i know from what i have heard and read about them, they have the same interchangebility as most of the other 1911's. might need to research further to make sure. if i ever find the SR1911 at my LGS more available, i might have to get one. another good 1911 to check out is the Remington R1. very good 1911 and very accurate. i bought the R1 Enhanced several months ago and am very pleased with it.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz2g
Thanx for the info... So I've seen the RIA 1911's, but are they any good? I was also looking at getting a Ruger 1911, but my friend says that after markets, such as a different trigger group, are hard to come by, and you have to stick with the Ruger brand. Is this true?
Absolutely not true. Your friend appears to be ignorant in terms of 1911s and I wouldn't be taking much if what he says as fact or even remotely close. No offense though.

1911s don't really have trigger "groups" per se. There is the trigger, sear, disconnector, and spring. All are individual parts and not a group. Are these parts difficult to come by? Absolutely not! Brownell's and MidwayUSA have more of them than you can believe. Aftermarket parts for the 1911 are a HUGE business. So much so that Brownell's dedicates a complete catalog just for 1911 parts. Do Ruger 1911s only use Ruger parts? Again, absolutely not! You can use any aftermarket 1911 part no matter who makes the gun, though most parts will require various amounts of fitting.

My advice, become a regular here and spend time reading and lurking around threads that interest you. You'll pick up much more knowledge here than by talking to your friend. Just my two cents...
Olympus is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

You should ALWAYS buy your first 1911.

Then spend a few years familiarizing yourself with the platform.

You need far less gunsmithing skillz to assemble an AR, you need mad gunsmithing skillz to build* a 1911. 1911 build - 1911 Forum


* We assemble our 1911's every time we clean them.
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You should ALWAYS buy your first 1911.

Then spend a few years familiarizing yourself with the platform.

You need far less gunsmithing skillz to assemble an AR,
Quote:
you need mad gunsmithing skillz to build* a 1911.
1911 build - 1911 Forum


* We assemble our 1911's every time we clean them.
Nuff said
__________________
Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET
HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
1911 build blueshield67 DIY Projects 4 04-08-2012 09:59 AM
1911 build jazz154 DIY Projects 3 01-01-2012 08:55 PM
1911 build buchele1911 DIY Projects 2 11-26-2011 02:35 PM
1911 build rjgnwdc 1911 Forum 21 09-29-2011 02:15 AM
1911 build Benning Boy Gunsmithing Forum 3 01-26-2009 04:11 PM



Newest Threads