Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911 build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-build-73961/)

Ozz2g 10-08-2012 09:52 PM

1911 build

Ok, so I built my own AR, and plan to build my wife one soon, but I have seen a few 1911 frames floating around at the gun shows here and there, and started thinking about building one. I am aware that it will ne more expensive, I just like to build things. Any ideas on where I might go to get a modest priced frame? Also, are there any vids that anyone could suggest that might help with the build?

Gatoragn 10-08-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz2g (Post 969210)
Ok, so I built my own AR, and plan to build my wife one soon, but I have seen a few 1911 frames floating around at the gun shows here and there, and started thinking about building one. I am aware that it will ne more expensive, I just like to build things. Any ideas on where I might go to get a modest priced frame? Also, are there any vids that anyone could suggest that might help with the build?

I see frames for sale on Gun Broker.

You can but every piece needed to build a 1911 from Brownells, don't have a clue how much it would cost. Brownells also has lots of gunsmithing videos you can watch for free.

danf_fl 10-08-2012 11:34 PM

Check out Fusion Firearms. Bob Serva used to be president of Dan Wesson before CZ got involved.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

Olympus 10-09-2012 12:25 AM

This gets brought up a lot. If you want to "build" a 1911 and have no Gunsmithing experience, odds are that you'll end up with a bunch of money into a gun that will look half-assed and maybe not even shoot accurately.

1911s are in NO WAY similar to ARs when it comes to building. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to 1911 parts. I highly advise against this.

HOSSFLY 10-09-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 969413)
This gets brought up a lot. If you want to "build" a 1911 and have no Gunsmithing experience, odds are that you'll end up with a bunch of money into a gun that will look half-assed and maybe not even shoot accurately.

1911s are in NO WAY similar to ARs when it comes to building. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to 1911 parts. I highly advise against this.

Wat he said- 1911 building is NOT a hobby ----Trust me, i've dun a few :o

Axxe55 10-09-2012 12:38 AM

i agree with Olympus on this subject. can it be done at home? yes. should it be done at home? depends an many different varibles. how much experiance do you have with the 1911 platform? do you possess the skills required to build one? do you own or have access to the tools and equipment to build a 1911?

several times i have thought about building my own 1911 from scratch, and have looked at it, weighed the pro's and con's, and have decided that by the time i bought all the parts, all the tools required to build one, i could have bought a couple of very nice, ready to shoot 1911's, without the hassle.

not trying to discourage you or talk you out of doing it, just pointing out the realities of building a 1911 pistol from scratch. as Olympus pointed out, the 1911 isn't like the AR, everything has to be fitted to operated as designed. there is a reason the the custom builders command the price they do for hand built 1911's. because they are hand built by people who have much experience in building them.

maybe a better option would be to look around at the gun shows, pawn shops or gun auctions and find a beater and build and customize it to your liking. or maybe look at the RIA or American Classic or the others and customize it to what suits you.

Axxe55 10-09-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 969423)
Wat he said- 1911 building is NOT a hobby ----Trust me, i've dun a few :o

good to see you back HossFly! been missing you here lately.

HOSSFLY 10-09-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 969443)
good to see you back HossFly! been missing you here lately.

Thanx Axxe- Easin back in :o

Marlinman 10-09-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Thanx Axxe- Easin back in :o

Holy jumpin hoss flys........it lives!!!!!;)

HOSSFLY 10-09-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 969496)
Holy jumpin hoss flys........it lives!!!!!;)

Not only that :p