1911 break-in period question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 break-in period question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Every pistol I buy I run 2 50 round boxes of FMJ and two boxes of my favorite SD ammo through. If it runs at 100% then I clean and carry it. If I get 1-2 FTF I take note and do a full 500 round break in. If after that it still is not 100% reliable with EVERYTHING I feed it I make an assesment whether I care enough about it to fix it or off it goes to greener pastures...

Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #12

If you are going to use it for SD, I'd strongly recommend breaking-in with HP.....my Kimber was going fine with FMJs until I used Sabre, which had couple jams....

Old 02-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I believe you will know when the gun is right for carry. Each gun is different and some will require more rounds down the pipe than others. I say that because I have an STI Ranger II that required about 600 rounds before I felt confident enough to carry it and I have a Kimber TAC II Pro that after 100 rounds I felt I could carry it. I also have an Ultra Raptor II that it took 800 rounds. I was about ready to get rid of it but gave it one last trip to the range. Had it failed at all on the last trip to the range it would have be gone, but I went through 200 rounds that day without any failures. And it hasn't failed since, it is my first choice to carry.
Just buy some ammo and enjoy shooting it.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
Life member: NRA, GOA, VVA, Front Sight Firearm Training

Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

This is coming from a die hard Kimber fanatic, so take it for what it's worth. That pistol absolutely has to have a number of rounds run through it. It makes a world of difference on the whole action of the pistol. The trigger break lowers and becomes more crisp, the slide release becomes more crisp and has a lower breaking point to it, and it also helps set the springs which adds to the overall crispness of the entire action.

The break in period is claimed to be 500 rds. by Kimber, but mine took 2 weekends on the range which was about 300 rds. Definitely burn those rounds as it will make a big difference in the action. It'll also familiarize you with the handling of the pistol and build confidence between the 2 of you.

Confidence is paramount when lives are at stake. Familiarity is foremost when punching paper.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 02-24-2010 at 07:06 PM.