Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Break In Diagnostic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Nooo. I have an r1. Im saying you shouldnt have to tinker under the hood.better mags will fix the issue

Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #22
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16872 Times on 9778 Posts
Likes Given: 43992

as suggested by many others, along with trying different ammo, would be also different magazines. sometimes the throat may need to be polished as well, but if so, beings the pistol is new, you might want to send it to Remington for warranty. i would not suggest trying to polish the feed ramp or the throat with it being under warranty. if after trying different ammo, (quality ammo) and new magazines, and the problem persists, i would suggest contacting Remington and explaining the issues you are having with it.

i have a R1 Enhanced and so far have had not problems with it, but i don't use the factory magazines. i use Wilson Combat magazines in all my 1911's.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #23

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Wow! My two Springers, two Para Ords, and even a PT1911 have yet to have any problem eating ammo. In fact none of them have ever had an issue. I did have a RIA that was a little picky with HP ammo when it was new bu ta little polishing on the feed ramp and that stopped too. There may be some that can be a little finicky, I found this to be more apparent with target models that are fitted tighter than a standard combat made 1911 bit I have not seen too much of an issue with any mil spec model 1911.

I think the finicky thing with 1911's belongs with the stories of Glock Leg. Sure it happens but it's more the exception, not the rule.
If you shot competitively as much as my group did, you'd have witnessed the 1911 being the single most error prone pistol out there.

I don't dislike them, I ain't hatin. It's a fact.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Gentlemen, You have given me a lot to digest here. I think I'll start with Canebrake's buddy on the new magazine and run a couple of hundred more rounds thru and see how it shakes out. This was new and out of the wrapper, so it will be no trouble to ship back if the problem persists. I have heard good things about Remington customer service.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #25
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Just a question, did you do a thorough cleaning and lube before shooting?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

All right, I am not in the same league as Cane & some of what I know came from him. The rest from personal & professional experience. I don't claim to be an expert but I usually know where to get the answers.

Disclaimer behind me: Don't do anything until you have at least 500 rounds through the pistol. I will also agree that most feed issues are the mags. Use a high quality magazine, Tripp or Wilson is up to you.

Bear in mind that a Remington is a mass produced pistol, this does not mean bad. Pistol parts are machined or cast & either process leaves small (sometimes microscopic) rough edges that really do go away with repeated use. That is the reason that triggers usually improve the more you shoot the gun.

So, shoot the snot out of that R1 and use good mags. That will probably take care of any issue. If not, then consider dealing with Remington or a QUALIFIED gunsmith for your problems. JMHO

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.
People Like This 
Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Well, I took in all the great advice and spent the day at the range yesterday with single boxes of ammo from a wide variety of manufacturers. I won't get into the brands, but I covered a spectrum of range ammo.
Seems to be the mag. I switched out the magazine to the other supplied Remington mag and everything worked flawlessly. Good day of shooting, nice pistol!
I think I'll call Remington about the magazine and then perhaps take the "Canebrake Mag challenge". Thanks for all the great advice. Hopefully I can return the favor on the forum, but my expertise is limited to food and beer!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #28
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1575 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 4790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide View Post
Well, I took in all the great advice...
Seems to be the mag. I switched out the magazine to the other supplied Remington mag and everything worked flawlessly

WooHoo, we have a winner. time to celebrate.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
axxe55 Likes This