1911 Break In Diagnostic
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Break In Diagnostic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default 1911 Break In Diagnostic

Need some diagnostic advice! I just picked up a 1911. I am not a "1911 guy". I usually shoot revolvers and a Glock. However, I thought a 1911 would be a fun change. Not being able to locate a new Colt, I picked up the Remington R1. The reviews were good and I liked the classic base look. And I was intrigued by a Remington handgun.

The weapon has excellent fit and finish, all parts smooth and well fitting. Not even a rattle when shaken. I shoot it well also, which is a big plus. Very happy with it...with the exception of a failure to feed problem. Keep in mind, the pistol is new, and I only have 200 rounds thru it, of two different types of range ammo. However, I am shocked the failure rate which is running at 4%-5%. The actual issue is a failure to go completely into the chamber. The round feeds, but only goes in part way and the slide jams.

Is this common with a 1911 during break in period? Anyone else with an R1 have this issue out of the gate? Perhaps this is normal, but as a shooter of revolvers and Glock, I am used to 0% failure. Next I'll try a third and fourth brand of ammo, but frankly, I usually find that a good gun will eat any commonly marketed ammo, range, target or defense.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide View Post
Need some diagnostic advice! I just picked up a 1911. I am not a "1911 guy". I usually shoot revolvers and a Glock. However, I thought a 1911 would be a fun change. Not being able to locate a new Colt, I picked up the Remington R1. The reviews were good and I liked the classic base look. And I was intrigued by a Remington handgun.

The weapon has excellent fit and finish, all parts smooth and well fitting. Not even a rattle when shaken. I shoot it well also, which is a big plus. Very happy with it...with the exception of a failure to feed problem. Keep in mind, the pistol is new, and I only have 200 rounds thru it, of two different types of range ammo. However, I am shocked the failure rate which is running at 4%-5%. The actual issue is a failure to go completely into the chamber. The round feeds, but only goes in part way and the slide jams.

Is this common with a 1911 during break in period? Anyone else with an R1 have this issue out of the gate? Perhaps this is normal, but as a shooter of revolvers and Glock, I am used to 0% failure. Next I'll try a third and fourth brand of ammo, but frankly, I usually find that a good gun will eat any commonly marketed ammo, range, target or defense.
first thing i would try is different ammo.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Make sure you are using quality magazines. Sometimes the mags that come with 1911s are crap. Your chamber may need to be polished. This can be done with a dremel tool, felt polishing tips and some flitz metal polish. Also have your extractor tension checked. Fine tuning isn't too common on production 1911s like it is on custom guns. Believe me when I tell you that you're in for an education with a 1911. It's a 100 year old design and the extractor is a very critical part of this gun.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Mine ran wonderfully with all the ammo I made for it, I never shot factory rounds so...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It's the magazines. The mags that came with my R1 were junk, not worthy for even range use. Feed issues abound.

There's an app for that;

Call Aaron @ Tripp Research (877.837.9445) and tell him you want to take the canebrake mag test. Order one Gen II Cobra mag (I suggest an 8R-45-RG in SS or Black) and see if it doesn't fix your feed issue. I'm so sure of this fix that if you're not happy with the quality of the Tripp, I'll buy it from you for what you paid plus shipping to me. Yep, they are that good!

My guess is that you will be calling Aaron to order more Cobra Mags!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Besides the mag issue, what ammo have you used.

There is some inexpensive stuff on the shelves at WallyWorld.
Steel casings that have been painted.

When the gun gets warm from shooting, some of the paint gets soft and clings to the inside of the chamber.

For the time that break-in is going on, try to get the best ammo you can. Don't use +P.

Was the gun in a box or used as a display piece? Allowing the slide to slam forward without chambering a round is a 1911 no-no. And if it were a display piece, then I would bet money that it happened a couple of times.

Another suggestion is to get another recoil spring rated #16-#18. The stuff they put in at the factory may or may not last long.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

No break-in is required by an R1.
That being said my Remington mags are just fine. In fact I bought a spare one (Remington) from Midway and it also works fine.
Contact Remington for a free shipping label and send it back. They should be able to fix the problem.
By the way,are you using recommended ammo as described in the owners manual? I ran 230gr Rem hardball thru mine until the warranty expired. Since then I have tried 185 JHP and have no problems with the ammo or mags.

Last edited by crazycharlie2; 11-15-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I have a couple of Colt 1911s and they are also have feeding problems from time to time and usually switching out the magazine will take care of the problem

Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #9

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Painted ammo, a 1911 that never failed.

Its getting deep in here.

The 1911 platform is the single pickiest pistol platform out there. I've seen them all fail. From Rock Islands to Nighthawk customs, they can, AND WILL, fail.

75% of all 1911 troubles come down to mag problems. As cane said, the Tripps are great mags, and the Wilson 47D.

The remainder of issues are caused by improper extractor tension, improper grip, and old springs

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

canebrake Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also make sure your feed ramp is polished smooth. I picked up an R1 at academy sports and the feed ramp was black with crud and tarnish. The feed ramp should always be shiny and polished smooth. There are things in 1911s you can't see or feel that can make it drag and affect reliability such as burrs and tool marks so polishing the feed ramp, chamber, and even the slide and frame rails can make it feel smoother. Also make sure it's properly lubricated.