Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911 Break In Diagnostic (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-break-diagnostic-76414/)

Hightide 11-15-2012 02:31 AM

1911 Break In Diagnostic

Need some diagnostic advice! I just picked up a 1911. I am not a "1911 guy". I usually shoot revolvers and a Glock. However, I thought a 1911 would be a fun change. Not being able to locate a new Colt, I picked up the Remington R1. The reviews were good and I liked the classic base look. And I was intrigued by a Remington handgun.

The weapon has excellent fit and finish, all parts smooth and well fitting. Not even a rattle when shaken. I shoot it well also, which is a big plus. Very happy with it...with the exception of a failure to feed problem. Keep in mind, the pistol is new, and I only have 200 rounds thru it, of two different types of range ammo. However, I am shocked the failure rate which is running at 4%-5%. The actual issue is a failure to go completely into the chamber. The round feeds, but only goes in part way and the slide jams. :confused:

Is this common with a 1911 during break in period? Anyone else with an R1 have this issue out of the gate? Perhaps this is normal, but as a shooter of revolvers and Glock, I am used to 0% failure. Next I'll try a third and fourth brand of ammo, but frankly, I usually find that a good gun will eat any commonly marketed ammo, range, target or defense.

Axxe55 11-15-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hightide (Post 1015052)
Need some diagnostic advice! I just picked up a 1911. I am not a "1911 guy". I usually shoot revolvers and a Glock. However, I thought a 1911 would be a fun change. Not being able to locate a new Colt, I picked up the Remington R1. The reviews were good and I liked the classic base look. And I was intrigued by a Remington handgun.

The weapon has excellent fit and finish, all parts smooth and well fitting. Not even a rattle when shaken. I shoot it well also, which is a big plus. Very happy with it...with the exception of a failure to feed problem. Keep in mind, the pistol is new, and I only have 200 rounds thru it, of two different types of range ammo. However, I am shocked the failure rate which is running at 4%-5%. The actual issue is a failure to go completely into the chamber. The round feeds, but only goes in part way and the slide jams. :confused:

Is this common with a 1911 during break in period? Anyone else with an R1 have this issue out of the gate? Perhaps this is normal, but as a shooter of revolvers and Glock, I am used to 0% failure. Next I'll try a third and fourth brand of ammo, but frankly, I usually find that a good gun will eat any commonly marketed ammo, range, target or defense.

first thing i would try is different ammo.

1911aone 11-15-2012 05:17 AM

Make sure you are using quality magazines. Sometimes the mags that come with 1911s are crap. Your chamber may need to be polished. This can be done with a dremel tool, felt polishing tips and some flitz metal polish. Also have your extractor tension checked. Fine tuning isn't too common on production 1911s like it is on custom guns. Believe me when I tell you that you're in for an education with a 1911. It's a 100 year old design and the extractor is a very critical part of this gun.

The_Kid 11-15-2012 05:27 AM

Mine ran wonderfully with all the ammo I made for it, I never shot factory rounds so...

canebrake 11-15-2012 09:51 AM

It's the magazines. The mags that came with my R1 were junk, not worthy for even range use. Feed issues abound.

There's an app for that;

Call Aaron @ Tripp Research (877.837.9445) and tell him you want to take the canebrake mag test. Order one Gen II Cobra mag (I suggest an 8R-45-RG in SS or Black) and see if it doesn't fix your feed issue. I'm so sure of this fix that if you're not happy with the quality of the Tripp, I'll buy it from you for what you paid plus shipping to me. Yep, they are that good!

My guess is that you will be calling Aaron to order more Cobra Mags!

danf_fl 11-15-2012 11:31 AM

Besides the mag issue, what ammo have you used.

There is some inexpensive stuff on the shelves at WallyWorld.
Steel casings that have been painted.

When the gun gets warm from shooting, some of the paint gets soft and clings to the inside of the chamber.

For the time that break-in is going on, try to get the best ammo you can. Don't use +P.

Was the gun in a box or used as a display piece? Allowing the slide to slam forward without chambering a round is a 1911 no-no. And if it were a display piece, then I would bet money that it happened a couple of times.

Another suggestion is to get another recoil spring rated #16-#18. The stuff they put in at the factory may or may not last long.

crazycharlie2 11-15-2012 12:40 PM

No break-in is required by an R1.
That being said my Remington mags are just fine. In fact I bought a spare one (Remington) from Midway and it also works fine.
Contact Remington for a free shipping label and send it back. They should be able to fix the problem.
By the way,are you using recommended ammo as described in the owners manual? I ran 230gr Rem hardball thru mine until the warranty expired. Since then I have tried 185 JHP and have no problems with the ammo or mags.

twobilly 11-15-2012 12:52 PM

I have a couple of Colt 1911s and they are also have feeding problems from time to time and usually switching out the magazine will take care of the problem

willfully armed 11-15-2012 01:00 PM

Painted ammo, a 1911 that never failed.

Its getting deep in here.

The 1911 platform is the single pickiest pistol platform out there. I've seen them all fail. From Rock Islands to Nighthawk customs, they can, AND WILL, fail.

75% of all 1911 troubles come down to mag problems. As cane said, the Tripps are great mags, and the Wilson 47D.

The remainder of issues are caused by improper extractor tension, improper grip, and old springs

1911aone 11-15-2012 03:34 PM

Also make sure your feed ramp is polished smooth. I picked up an R1 at academy sports and the feed ramp was black with crud and tarnish. The feed ramp should always be shiny and polished smooth. There are things in 1911s you can't see or feel that can make it drag and affect reliability such as burrs and tool marks so polishing the feed ramp, chamber, and even the slide and frame rails can make it feel smoother. Also make sure it's properly lubricated.