Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 45acp conversion to carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default 1911 45acp conversion to carbine

I saw a conversion kit to change a 1911 5" into a carbine, just switch the "upper" assembly and the kit uses the lower to make a carbine with about a 16"(?)barrel. I'm trying to find these kits. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm guessing you're talkin' about this MechTech - 1911

Seems ...interesting... If I had an extra 1911 laying around, the money and got a wild hair up my butt I might do that.

One question though for the smarter among us, wouldn't that have to be registered with BAFTE as an SBR?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #3

Default .45acp to carbine

Seems the forum at Mech implies that since the original pistol is registered as a pistol that the conversion won't make it considered a sbr. I don't know if I said it right but the forum made sense when those folks talked about it. I wondered how AR pistols are legal myself and not condidered sbr. Some of those are 10" barrels, go figure. Goes to show how laws are. Confusing

Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

An expert will be by shortly but I think it has to do with "changing" a pistol to a rifle. I believe that BATFE will have to get involved with this...

Old 01-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2643 Times on 1540 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

From what I understand, the AR pistols (and AK's) start life as pistols. The BATF hates people who turn long guns to hand guns.
My understanding is once you convert handgun to long gun, there is not turning back.

(But I've been wrong before. Ask my wife.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #6

Default conversion kit

Well, like always, I've found some good information here on the forum. I'm not into altering any of my firearms, I just like to know all about them to include any accessories available. The only firearm I'm actually seriously considering getting because it's already setup for conversions is the Sig 250 I believe. Many caliber switches available. I would like to find the performance of the carbine .45 in stats/techs. Thanks for all replys.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5271 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

adding a stock to a pistol is a no-no. you would have to go through hoops pay tons of taxes. if the batf let you do it.

better way just get a 45acp upper for a AR15

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #8

Default AR-15 conversion .45acp

You know, I thought about maybe doing something with my AR. I have a Colt 6601. I kinda like leaving it alone though. It's my ticket to shoot at Camp perry one day, hopefully. I winder if a .45acp is worth all the money to give the bullet a longer barrel to travel down. No matter if it has a 16" tube, probably still fizzes, drops, way down by 75-100yds. thanks for reply

Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5271 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

the cmmg chrome conversion kit for the AR is an excellent 22lr kit. ive had less problems with my cmmg kit than i have with my 10/22 and 10/22's really dont have problems.

45acp uppers in a ar15 are a hoot. i got one and for a while i had thought about selling it but i started taking it to the range as here in WI you gotta use pistol caliber if you wanna shoot rifles indoors. need to do a range report on it my next trip.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #10

Default Pistol/Rifle legalities

Hello all - this question has been routinely beaten up. The Mech Tech site at MechTech - Home has a concise treatment of this issue with links. This can be found on their forum under the 'legalities' post. I have one of their units and of course was quite interested in this question before proceeding. The sum and substance as I see it is that it matters how the registered part of the system began life - as a rifle or as a pistol. You can read the Supreme Court decision on the Mech Tech site relative to the Thompson/Center products, which products pose the same question. Hope this helps.