1911 - .45 to .22 Conversion - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 - .45 to .22 Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Taken from Marvel Precision's websight about their .22 conversion model UNIT 1.

Quote:
Convert any 1911 Semi-Auto pistol into one of the most accurate .22 pistols available. Tests from a machine rest have delivered groups around 1.8" at 50 yards ... for 100 shots with inexpensive ammo (see the sample test targets)! Compare that to extremely expensive European target pistols that boast 1-1/2" groups (measured center-to-center, which gives you a smaller measurement than edge-to-edge) at 50 yards for 10 shots. The secret to Marvel Conversion Unit's astonishing accuracy is the same as for any breakthrough product: an innovative and unique design executed by experts with top-quality production techniques and components.
A 100 shot, 1.8" shotgroup at 50 yards is freakin amazing.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 01-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #12

If your looking to get trigger time at home,,,,, here's a neat tool.

Laserlyte — Laser Trainer Systems

I just got the target and the LTS Pro for just under 230.00. Yes, there is no BOOM, but there is trigger discipline. I do have the Marvel conversion for my .45 and it has been great. I've even bought a Sparrow can for shooting in the basement ( still awaiting the tax stamp ).

George

Happiness is a warm pistol,,,,,

Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree that a dedicated 1911 in 22LR is the optimum way to go. I will say that I did so by buying a Kimber 22 conversion kit and fitted it to a spare Essex 1911 frame that I had. The bottom end is pure 1911 45 except for an 18 lb main spring in place of the heavier stock 45 ACP spring. It has proven very reliable (read that as very few if any jams even with standard velocity 22LR and most Target 22 LR). Kimber states in their specifications that it is designed for high velocity 22 LR ammunition, but with the lighter main spring I have had no issues as mentioned. My daughter loves it and wanted to take it but still felt it was "heavy" in her hand. I priced a Kimber 1911 22 LR ($700 average), and their 1911 Super 22 LR ($1100 average) both with alloy slide and frame. They were VERY light and my daughter loved them. However, at those prices I decided to pick up a used Kimber 22 LR conversion kit for under $300 and an alloy frame from Fusion Arms that I had (proably under $300 when I got it) and build her one for less than the cost from Kimber. Granted I am not counting the other pieces to complete the frame and grips since I have all that in parts bins or my time to assemble and fit, but it functions as she desired when I finished. The only tough part to deal with was she wanted pink grips and I inlaid the "Kimber" scroll on the slide in pink as well. Laugh now guys, but she puts 10 shots in about a 2 inch group at 25 yards and she just has started shooting. So I wouldn't laugh to loud around her. Well I rambled on too long. The point was as stated by others, get a dedicated 1911 in 22 LR rather than switching back and forth.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Last edited by alxltd1; 02-08-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 AM   #14

Likes Given: 7

Put her in a timed event and see if her groups change. I have both kind of 1911's. It's neither hear or there. I would like to think that the gun I have put in my daughter's hand is going to find the right spot. She will disagree with me, but I think she will miss!! So she has a Judge. She won't miss!!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by progolfer_iii View Post
Put her in a timed event and see if her groups change. I have both kind of 1911's. It's neither hear or there. I would like to think that the gun I have put in my daughter's hand is going to find the right spot. She will disagree with me, but I think she will miss!! So she has a Judge. She won't miss!!!!
Not quite sure the point you are making here. Eventually I will have her start timed and other competition. At this point I am more concerned that she learn proper handling, technique, trigger control and sighting. Speed will come with practice and control under pressure and or duress will also come later. I have no doubt the gun I place in her hand will function reliably, and if she does her part will find the right spot. But thanks for the advice.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #16

Likes Given: 7

Well I can see that my drunk a$$ cousin was on my computer last night. He's an idiot!! This is not my opinion.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by progolfer_iii View Post
Well I can see that my drunk a$$ cousin was on my computer last night. He's an idiot!! This is not my opinion.
No problem, stuff happens.

Bill
NRA Life Member

Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2042 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2220

Well, I finally decided on the dedicated 22 pistol. I tried the 1911, but didn't like the feel of the handle. My main gun is an XDm 9mm, so I'm used to the wider, rounder shape. I also didn't want to need tools to break down for cleaning. I settled on an S&W 22A. First time at the range I shot about 150 rounds of 22 before practice with the 9mm. Noticeable difference.

A guy in the booth next to me had just gotten a S&W .44 Mag revolver with a long barrel. Just for laughs he offered to let me shoot it. Being of sound mind, I only loaded one round. Dang. That was something else! Kinda strange though, it didn't seem to kick as much as a Glock .40 subcompact that my buddy rented.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/