1911 22lr conversion kits - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

1911 22lr conversion kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangunner308 View Post
as the guy stated in his review of the Unit 1 conversion kit, after a few hundread rounds of breaking in the gun it started cycling and shooting normaly no jams or mis fires, he started with federal value pack and ppl told him to buy all these other ammo so he did but that was during the break in process... after all that it started shooting any kind of ammo normaly federals, cci, winchester.... so i doubt the type of amunition is the main cause of the jams and misfires. it seems like im not getting replies relevant to my post all im hearing is to go buy a dif gun. If im wasting money buying a 1911 and a half of a gun then im wasting money, can we try to stick to the original post? I was hoping to hear from other 1911 owners who have experience with or own a Marvel Unit 1 conversion kit
Maybe your question is better posed to the manufacturer.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #12

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just got back from a gunshop/gunsmith in tulsa,they have tons of different weapons. Looking at the prices "which they have really good prices" you can buy a 1911 .22 cheaper or about the same price as a kit. I would just buy a dedicated 1911 .22

Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #13

but how accurate are the dedicated 22lr 1911's gotta admit shots almost touching at 50 yards from a 1911 22lr conversion kit is pretty impressive

Old 10-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #14

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Wait - so now it's okay to talk about another gun entirely...?
I am still feeling a bit slapped on the wrist with a ruler by the teacher.
Okay - I'm joking :-)

But mine is pretty darn accurate (not sure about shots almost touching at 50 yards accurate - but very accurate). Heck, I don't even think I have fired mine as far downrange as 50 yards. I will try that.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #15

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

When shooting from a rest, mine is accurate also. It's just when I shoot free hand that it starts getting snipity.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #16

my family is big on handgun hunting. I like the accuracy for small game, hardly do i ever shoot 50 yards or 40 when hunting but my custom ruger 10/22 can put shots in the same hole at 50 yards and compaired to the 1911 marvel unit 1 kit that has them almost touching at 50 I'd rather carry the 1911 rather than my 8 pound ruger plus the fun and challenge of it being a handgun rather a rifle is why I like it.... just gotta realize ppl like dif. things than others were all not the same a 1911 to some is a self defense gun or a fun shoot gun, but to me id like to have the self defense gun since i can change it back to a regular 45 and also the superb accurate 22lr gun because I love to handgun hunt
Im also big on accuracy for some reason, always have been, and sure maybe i like the fancies or high end stuff, lets not start critisizing ppls choice of firearms and their uses

Last edited by Hangunner308; 10-28-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #17

Well I have one,,,, and I really like is so far. 200 rounds of CCI mini-mag and not one failure. I got it to get some cheap trigger time on my Letham Legend. Learning the break takes some time and I figured this was a great way to do that.

I just got a trap for the basement, so I can get some trigger time in the Winter. I got the special which is a barrel that didn't quite make it as a number 1, but will out shoot the #2. I also got the threaded barrel. Next week I'll be purchasing a can.

Good luck on your decision. I enjoy mine.

Happiness is a warm pistol,,,,,

Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

I have had this marvel kit for three years now and I am familiar with the fail to feed, stovepipe issues you describe.

First, because the 1911 was not designed to shoot wimpy .22 ammo you have to use HIGH velocity ammo. Preferably CCI Minimag. It needs the extra powder to eject and cycle. I can't stress enough how much your ammo choice will effect the performance here.

Secondly, keep it clean and oiled almost to the point of sloppy. I don't know why, but this kit gets dirty really fast. Then again, I will routinely put a few hundred rounds through it in a session.

Finally, I have problems with the first round of a magazine. It routinely fails to strip cleanly and make it to battery. After I cycle the slide and eject the round the rest go off in good order. This leads me to believe that there is a real issue with the mag that they supply with the kit. They make after market .22 mags but they are about $35.

In conclusion, I still enjoy the conversion kit because it allows me trigger time on my favorite pistol without the recoil and cost of shooting .45. Reducing both recoil and cost are positive influences on my training regime.

There is nothing like switching to .22 after a hundred rounds of .45 to bring to light the jerks, pulls and anticipation of recoil mistakes you've been making for the past hour.

The marvel conversion has its place, but I don't think I would hunt with it. I certainly would not count on it to save my life. It's a toy or a tool at best.