1911 22lr conversion kits
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 22lr conversion kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 22lr conversion kits

I have recently shot my uncles 1911 with the Marvel Unit 1 conversion kit and imediatley fell in love. only problem i have is fear of the jams and operation. His jams a lot and either fires or not and if it does not you have to take out the mag and recock the gun because one is still in the chamber and does not exract. I read a review on the same exact setup... a springfield armory 1911 with the marvel unit 1 kit and he had the exact same problems... but he said after a few hundread rounds and obviously breaking in the gun at the same time the problems went away and he only had 3 jams within 500 rounds afterwards... My uncle I doubt have shot close to 1k rounds not even 500 rounds i dont think, would shooting more rounds and breaking in his 1911 more solve the problems as it did for the other guy? I wanna hear some thaughts and insight about it b4 i think about getting a 1911 and a Marvel Unit 1 conversion kit

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #2

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Weew!! I almost ran out of breath from reading that major cluster**** of a paragraph. Please stop butchering the english language. Thanks.

Can you repost this in english for everyone, other than yourself to read?

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangunner308 View Post
I have recently shot my uncles 1911 with the Marvel Unit 1 conversion kit and imediatley fell in love. only problem i have is fear of the jams and operation. His jams a lot and either fires or not and if it does not you have to take out the mag and recock the gun because one is still in the chamber and does not exract. I read a review on the same exact setup... a springfield armory 1911 with the marvel unit 1 kit and he had the exact same problems...
I wish I had a dollar for every post saying the same thing. .22 conversions for 1911's are unreliable. If you want a super reliable .22, get a Ruger Mk II. Trying to build a .22 from a 1911 is just a hobby to raise your blood pressure.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #4

sorry about the bad english... new generation teens/adults haha, anyways, I think its a great setup for small game hunting, seriously shot this thing at 50 yards and shots were almost touching, I didnt believe what my uncle said about its accuracy til I shot it, which is why I might want one for next year. plus as an added bonus 22lr is cheap and would be very fun for plinking as well

Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've never seen much a reason for the conversion kits. There are 22's out there that will give you that 1911 feel and you don't have two half guns. You have two guns. The Ruger 22/45 is great if you are looking for an under 300.00 that will have a similar grip angle and weight. Not to mention the Chiappa 1911-22.

I don't know, the price of conversion kits that make you ..well..convert you can have two complete handguns and not need to change between one half gun or the other if you change your mind about the caliber of the day.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have a GSG .22 1911 - which is imported in the US by ATI (American Tactical Imports). Mine has been very reliable & have been happy with it.
Buds has them for sale...
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/75559

Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

When I was researching for a .22 pistol, consensus of opinion from dealers & owners was that the .22LR conversions, regardless of manufacturer, required high velocity ammo to cycle properly. They didn't seem to do well with such as the Federal 550 Bulk Pack, etc.

Also the Ruger Mark series, especially the older Mark I & Mark II, & Browning Buckmark series seemed to get high marks in regard to handling the cheaper bulk ammo. Even dealers who didn't have them told me this, so I know they weren't just trying to sell me one.

I also have the GSG1911-22 that bartwatkins mentioned & it cycles the Federal bulk ammo real well, in fact cycled some 30 year old ammo of mixed brands I had. You will get some 'second strike' issues with the cheap stuff, that's why they put an extra 50 rounds in the box. But all you have to do is recock the hammer & try again.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #8

as the guy stated in his review of the Unit 1 conversion kit, after a few hundread rounds of breaking in the gun it started cycling and shooting normaly no jams or mis fires, he started with federal value pack and ppl told him to buy all these other ammo so he did but that was during the break in process... after all that it started shooting any kind of ammo normaly federals, cci, winchester.... so i doubt the type of amunition is the main cause of the jams and misfires. it seems like im not getting replies relevant to my post all im hearing is to go buy a dif gun. If im wasting money buying a 1911 and a half of a gun then im wasting money, can we try to stick to the original post? I was hoping to hear from other 1911 owners who have experience with or own a Marvel Unit 1 conversion kit

Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Oroiginal post:

Quote:
I wanna hear some thaughts and insight about it b4 i think about getting a 1911 and a Marvel Unit 1 conversion kit
here's my thoughts and insights:

A lot of accumulated experience has shown me the .22 cartridge does not have enough power to reliably cycle these 1911 add on units. Some sort of work, many do not and never will, and all are extremely sensitive to the ammo because they need every last iota of push from the ammo to cycle at all.

My input: I would never buy one from any maker.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #10

out of my uncles we shot cci stingers... very loud and does seem to cycle but can still give u a misfire like u can get 3-5 shots off then have a problem, we did shoot some cci 40grn subsonic lead HP and it cycled as well, but that was only 4 shots... online i seen a video and the guy didnt have any issues his shot like any 1911 45 and he was using the same unit 1 conversion kit