Which 1911 In .22LR To Buy? Comparing Brands And Models - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Which 1911 In .22LR To Buy? Comparing Brands And Models

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 337 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 64

If you don't want polymer ten take the 22/45 off your list. The Colt, Sig or GSG would be my picks. The Sigs hold some appeal because I've seen them in some different finishes. The actual Sig mags are pricey but they'll also run on GSG mags at half the price.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:21 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFroelich View Post
I would buy a sig mosquito

dtom
Since Walther makes both the 'Skeeter and the Pony copy, the barrel setup on the frame is nearly identical.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:18 AM   #13

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
My adding CWA's steel guide rod, spring, barrel bushing, barrel cap, tightened the gun up considerably, so it prefers a stout high velocity round. I bought some new Golden Bullets and they ran pretty good the last time I had it out.

My GC is still stock and is more foregiving on ammo. The mags say 12 rounds, but they work better if you only load 11.

If I had to choose only one, I think I would go with the Umarex.
So your Gold Cup still is stock? I really liked the one I handled today. One little thing that stood out was the wrap around rubber grips (which I don't think are available on the Rail Gun or Government Model versions). Those grips felt real good but are boring black. The SIG had nicer looking grips but the Gold Cup felt better.

I liked that the Colt magazine dropped free and that there wasn't a magazine safety. I forgot to check this on the SIG, does it drop free and no mag safety?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #14

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

I've got the Colt/Umarex/Walther Government Model and its been a great gun except for being picky with ammo. Mine loves Remington Golden Bullets. I'm sure that it'd do great with CCI, though I've never tried them. It's a very accurate pistol and I've taken several squirrels with it. The magazine thing is true, I've yet to find one for a reasonable price.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
So your Gold Cup still is stock? I really liked the one I handled today. One little thing that stood out was the wrap around rubber grips (which I don't think are available on the Rail Gun or Government Model versions). Those grips felt real good but are boring black. The SIG had nicer looking grips but the Gold Cup felt better.

I liked that the Colt magazine dropped free and that there wasn't a magazine safety. I forgot to check this on the SIG, does it drop free and no mag safety?
Well, I added a Pierce finger grip with some custom made burl grips and a dab of fluorescent chartreuse fishing jig paint to the front sight and an extended safety.

I will post picture sometime today.
image.jpg  

Last edited by Gatoragn; 03-29-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #16

Thanks, guys. I'm headed out later to look at more Colts and SIG/GSGs. Right now scouring the web for more testimonials, reviews and videos.

Winchester, check out CTD for $24 12-round mags!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #17

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Winchester, check out CTD for $24 12-round mags!
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
The GSG/Sig's does have magazine safety, but drop the mag well and you can remove it.

CTD kills you on shipping, two mags for $46.38 + $10.77 shipping + $2.99 handling.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #19

Well I came home with the "Colt Government Model Rail Gun"!

After hours of reading reviews and watching videos I was almost certain I was going Colt/Walther. But I wasn't sure which model: Government Model, Gold Cup or Government Model Rail Gun. Fortunately I was able to handle the Gold Cup and Rail Gun side by side at Sportsman's Warehouse. No one else had the Rail Gun, but almost everyone had the Gold Cup. No one in town had the basic Government Model but I know it very well since my real Colt, bought in 1976, is one. I went with the Rail Gun over the Gold Cup due to the rail, the low-profile "Novak" 3-dot sights plus it was $20 cheaper. (If you want fully adjustable sights the Gold Cup is worth the extra bucks but I love the low profile combat sights.)

Anyway, with military discount (thank you SW!), it was $369.99 plus about $20 tax out the door. I hoped to take it out to the desert this weekend but it's pouring rain right now. Oh well time to break it down and figure it out.

Thanks for all the input!

Here's a good, long video on the Rail Gun. The guy does a thorough job, covering everything including installing a light and suppressor, then firing video with and without the suppressor.

And here BigDaddyHoffman fires all three models of the Colt.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 03-29-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Gatoragn Likes This 
Old 03-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
The GSG/Sig's does have magazine safety, but drop the mag well and you can remove it.

CTD kills you on shipping, two mags for $46.38 + $10.77 shipping + $2.99 handling.
Thanks again, Gator! Good to know you can disable the GSG, I hate mag safeties.

I ordered three mags but chose CTD's USPS shipping that came to a little under $7 including their $2.99 handling fee. They say 7-10 days shipping, much slower than UPS, but cheaper. I was tempted to pay twice as much but like you it frosts me plus I'm not in a big hurry.

______