Which 1911 In .22LR To Buy? Comparing Brands And Models
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Which 1911 In .22LR To Buy? Comparing Brands And Models

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Default Which 1911 In .22LR To Buy? Comparing Brands And Models

Hope this is the right forum, this could go in Rimfire or 1911.

For many years I've been wanting to get a .22LR pistol in a 1911 configuration. Anybody else been thinking about getting one soon? This might be a good place to compare brands/models and compare any research we've done. Of course anyone who has one, please let us know what you think of it and how reliable it is with various types of ammo.

I looked at conversion kits for a genuine 1911 and the Ruger 22/45. But I got the impression the conversion kits are fussy with ammo and to me the Ruger just isn't close enough to a 1911 even though the controls are similar. Other opinions are welcome though. How have these options worked for you? (BTW, I do like Ruger and have the old style Mark I Target and Mark II, I just want a 1911 in .22LR.)

This week Cabela's has $40 off the Browning 1911 .22 (sale price $530) so today I looked at one but wrote it off quick because it's almost half the size of a real 1911! Nice pistol though if you want a small 1911 but not me, I want a full size model.

They also had a Chiappa 1911-22 for $350 but it felt cheap and I've read complaints from owners. Honestly, I have no first hand experience firing one. I can only say it looked and felt cheap. Anyway, it's not what I want. They do come in quite a few models with low prices if anyone's looking to get into this field cheap.

I looked at a couple SIGs, one OD and one matte black, both around $430 or so. They also had the SIG's cheaper twin, the GSG, imported by ATI. These look and feel real good. Definitely worth more research! I have heard they had a problem with plastic guide rods breaking and even cracked slides. There was a recall on SIGs to correct this and I think new models are ok. The SIGs I held did have metal guide rods, I forgot to check the GSG. I think I'd spend the extra $20 or so for the SIG, it looked nicer and had better grips. The GSG rollmarks looked a little tacky compared to the SIG but it's basically the same gun inside and you save a few bucks.

I also saw a "Colt Gold Cup" made by Walther and imported by Umarex/Walther. It was $450 and looked very good too. The "Colts" also comes in a basic Government Model and a Government Model Rail Gun version patterned after the real deal Colt Government Model Rail Gun in 45ACP which is a civilian version of the Colt M45A1 Close Quarters Battle Pistol (CQBP) issued to US Marines. The Colt/Walther models are finished in matte black but I understand a desert tan model is out that looks very much like the Marines' M45A1.

I almost bought the Colt Government Model .22 a couple years ago but you couldn't find magazines anywhere and even if you did they wanted $50. That derailed me because only one mag comes with a new gun. I'd been burned before by Umarex when I bought the Colt M4 .22LR and couldn't find magazines. Fortunately things are better today, you can find M4 and 1911 .22 mags. Cheaper Than Dirt has factory Umarex 12-round 1911 .22 mags for $24. The 12-round mag is a nice feature of the Colt, most of the other brands only have 10-round mags. When ordering, you do need to specify the 12-round unless you're in a ban state.

So far I'm leaning to SIG/GSG and Colt (but not from Cabela's, their prices are much higher than other local gun shops). From reading many threads and watching YouTube videos, both seem to handle most ammo and are very compatible with real 1911 parts such as trigger, hammer, sear, mainspring housing, grip safety, extended safety levers, grips, etc. Of course standard 1911 holsters fit, too.

Oh well, my search has just started. Tomorrow I'm going to handle a few more guns!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-29-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I have and like both the ATI GSG 1911 and the Umarex Gold Cup.

I bought my GC from Olympus through the FTF Classifieds.

I have tricked out my GSG with doo dads from CW Accessories and a Burris Fast Fire.

image.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

I went through this a while back did all the major conversions got the gsg/sig 1911-22 utter junk every one of em. They are all made of really cheap poorly molded mim including slide and frame. While they aren't pot metal they are pretty damn close. The gsg was one of the worst gun buys I've ever done. If you decide to get one at least get the sig stamped gsg as you will at least have a limited warranty and support from sig

Closest you get in a quality gun is the ruger 22/45. What's important are the location of the controls and being able to perform. Only the ruger does that but even it has issues out of the box.

The biggest issue is getting rid of the mag safety so the mags will drop free. Parts do it are pretty cheap however.

Anyway I'm just trying to save ya some pain. Get the ruger and be done with it. The only conversion that works and is well built are the 22 conversions for the sig p220 and p226

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-29-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 03-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #4

Thanks, Gatoragn! Do they both handle most ammo? Got a favorite between the Colt and GSG? (Sorry about the comment on the rollmarks! )

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I have the Colt Government. Have shot the Sig and the GSG. No experience with the Chiappa. I'll keep the Colt as the other two aren't better but not any worse.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 165 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I just bought an American Tactical like the one above in the .45 but it came with a .22lr conversion kit. I love it. Easy to convert. All you do is pop out a pin and replace the slide. I got it for around $600

Old 03-29-2014, 01:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I went through this a while back did all the major conversions got the gsg/sig 1911-22 utter junk every one of em. They are all made of really cheap poorly molded mim including slide and frame. While they aren't pot metal they are pretty damn close. The gsg was one of the worst gun buys I've ever done. If you decide to get one at least get the sig stamped gsg as you will at least have a limited warranty and support from sig

Closest you get in a quality gun is the ruger 22/45. What's important are the location of the controls and being able to perform. Only the ruger does that but even it has issues out of the box.

The biggest issue is getting rid of the mag safety so the mags will drop free. Parts do it are pretty cheap however.

Anyway I'm just trying to save ya some pain. Get the ruger and be done with it. The only conversion that works and is well built are the 22 conversions for the sig p220 and p226
Ah man, I don't want the 22/45! Even though it's a good gun. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment and pain. I'm really hoping 1911-22LRs have got better in recent years.

______

Old 03-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I would buy a sig mosquito

dtom

Old 03-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFroelich View Post
I would buy a sig mosquito

dtom
I don't want DA/SA or a polymer frame, really want something that looks like and functions like a 1911. Might be a nice gun though!

______

Old 03-29-2014, 01:19 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Thanks, Gatoragn! Do they both handle most ammo? Got a favorite between the Colt and GSG? (Sorry about the comment on the rollmarks! )
My adding CWA's steel guide rod, spring, barrel bushing, barrel cap, tightened the gun up considerably, so it prefers a stout high velocity round. I bought some new Golden Bullets and they ran pretty good the last time I had it out.

My GC is still stock and is more foregiving on ammo. The mags say 12 rounds, but they work better if you only load 11.

If I had to choose only one, I think I would go with the Umarex.