Doc, I think the reason no one is answering your question (my reason) is not understanding the where you are and where you want to go.
Let me state the assumptions; If these are wrong please correct.
- You have a Springfield 1911A1 GI
- It has a GI "shorty" guide rod now.
- You are going to change to a FLGR. (Reason?)
- Your dilemma is whether to go with the 1 piece vs. 2 piece FLGR.
- To make this decision, you are asking about the difference in disassembly of the two.
I think I can answer this question with the following graphics.
I will not
get into the pros and cons of FLGRs!
I have no idea of the design on all available FLGRs but will give you an idea of two I have experience.
The Colt XSE w/1piece and the Springfield Loaded w/2 piece.
The Colt: v
The Springfield Loaded: v
The Colt FLGR is ~ 4mm shorter than the SA 2 piece sitting deeper in the hollow spring plug (same length as the slide) allowing the plug to be depressed and the barrel bushing to be unlocked for disassembly. v
The SA FLGR is sitting flush with the hollow spring plug (extends forward of the slide) preventing the barrel bushing from being unlocked for disassembly until the wrench is used to remove the outer half. v
I prefer the one piece because it's what I have, and it requires no additional tools for disassembly.
I hope this helps. If not, ask again!