Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Wrong Ammo in a Glock 23 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/wrong-ammo-glock-23-a-9280/)

9RobertJ 12-19-2008 10:46 PM

Wrong Ammo in a Glock 23

I was at the range last week and took my 357 sig, so I thought it was. I fired four weak rounds which shot about two feet low and would not eject and had to chamber a round each time.

I finally looked at the side and it was my GLOCK 23! Since then I shot a full 15 rounds of .40 and cleaned it. I inspected the fired 357 casings which looked like 40 casing after being fired, just a bit longer. I inspected the barrel for any cracks, and shot about 150-200 rounds which shot without any problems, cleaned it and inspected the casings which look just like the fired case that comes with the glock.

I have not had any problems since then, I truly believe these guns are not built cheap and use this gun off-duty. Any thoughts on this issue, whats your input on firing the wrong cartridges other than I was stupid for not checking too see if it was the right ammo.

Dillinger 12-19-2008 10:58 PM

Well, I don't want to rub any salt in the wound, but essentially this.

You fired the .357 Sig ( 9x21mm ) down a tube that was built for the .40 S&W ( 10x22mm ).

Other than the bullet not getting the right bite, and your accuracy suffered, I don't think you did any serious long term damage with 4 rounds. The bullet probably wobbled a bit in the barrel, but I seriously doubt it was slamming from side to side like a pinball machine.

I'm assuming the round wasn't some uber hard material and that the casing was brass, so any damage to the throat was probably minimal as well.

That said, I am sure you are feeling exactly what I am thinking at the moment. :rolleyes::D

JD

sgtdeath66 12-20-2008 06:20 AM

it couldve been worse

Mark F 12-20-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9RobertJ (Post 56594)
I was at the range last week and took my 357 sig, so I thought it was. I fired four weak rounds which shot about two feet low and would not eject and had to chamber a round each time.

I finally looked at the side and it was my GLOCK 23! Since then I shot a full 15 rounds of .40 and cleaned it. I inspected the fired 357 casings which looked like 40 casing after being fired, just a bit longer. I inspected the barrel for any cracks, and shot about 150-200 rounds which shot without any problems, cleaned it and inspected the casings which look just like the fired case that comes with the glock.

I have not had any problems since then, I truly believe these guns are not built cheap and use this gun off-duty. Any thoughts on this issue, whats your input on firing the wrong cartridges other than I was stupid for not checking too see if it was the right ammo.

Don't do that again. It's not that it will hurt your pistol, because it normally won't. But what it does do is, call into question your ability to be a safe gun handler.

Davo45 06-01-2011 03:24 AM

Don't feel too bad, i worked with a deputy in another county 11 years ago who bought a Glock 22 and fired 5 rounds of 9mm through it while qualifying with several other deputies present. He had to clear the cases after each round because they'd failed to eject. All of the rounds hit the target at 25 yards, but had key holed. It didn't hurt the pistol at all, but it sure hurt his pride. I even got one of the 9mm cases and had it framed with the inscription, "It's a 40 Freddy" :D

rjd3282 06-01-2011 04:41 AM

I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often, all them glocks look alike. :D