Would a Glock 1911 put all US makers 6' under? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Would a Glock 1911 put all US makers 6' under?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 459 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 1409

i love both the 1911 and the glock and if glock makes a 1911 ill be first in line to get one.every gun company is going to polymer, its only time for a polymer 1911 i would love to be able to carry a 5 inch 1911 with out having by pants fall down because of the weight, concealed carry that is.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I love the 1911...but the cold fact is...it has been eclipsed by Glock, and the XD as "ultimate fighting handgun". One could even add the M&P and the SR9 to that list, especially once they have the 25 year track record the Glock has.

I carried a 1911 for years on duty and off in just about every configuration out there, and none of them including my Les Baer or my old Wilson Combat could come close to the absolute out-of-the-box reliability of a Glock. Springfield Armory (to my mind the BEST current manufacturer of the 1911 platform) is the last 1911 I bought for under $1200 that was close to 100% reliable, and I know how to make a 1911 run...extractor tweaking, throating, polishing etc...but why should I "have to" when I can buy a gun with LE discount for $440 out the door that will be 100% reliable?

I have never had to make an excuse for a Glock and say something like: "It needs a few hundred rounds to break in properly" or "I need to re-spring it to work with thus-and-so..."

Rewind 20 years and you would have heard me say...."I don't want one of those plastic sissy pistols!"

So...a Glock in 1911...I'd try one for sure. If it worked as well as my other bunch of Glocks...I'd carry it and sell my other 1911's, except my Dad's Combat Commander he carried in Viet Nam (USAF 1966-1967 119 missions F-105 Thud Pilot "Wild Weasel" RIP). Hell, I might even carry it!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #13

First things first, P.T. Barnum was credited with saying "There's a sucker born every minute." although some say it was Michael Cassius McDonald. Who knows.

Next, Browning didn't make a polymer-framed 1911 cause he couldn't. The first firearm with a polymer frame was a .22 produced by Remington in the 50's. The first polymer handgun was the Heckler & Koch VP70 which was made in 1970.

Now if Glock made a 1911, it wouldn't put anyone outta business. Hell, it might even increase sales of the 1911 among other manufacturers. Look at what the Mazda Miata did for small convertible couples. It sold like crazy! Then everyone else made a clone. They sold as well. Why? Cause just like a lot of us gun folks, people can be very brand loyal. So Glock would just throw their hat into an already crowded ring.

Something else to note. If Glock was so adept at making ANY firearms platform, why have they just done semi-auto pistols? I like Glock but they are a one-trick pony. That pony does it's particular trick very well but nonetheless, it's the same trick.

Glock might make a rifle or a 1911 or even a car, but even if they do, they won't be running anyone out of business.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

There is much truth in what the feller above posted...no, they won't run anyone out of business any more than Toyota or Nissan did when they introduced their line of full-sized pickups.

That being said: I assert that Glock only made auto pistols because europe has a long tradition of making crappy revolvers...LOL. SAA and charcoal burner clones from Italia notwithstanding. And probably more to the point...what police agency or military organization is still issuing contracts for wheelguns? That's not to say somewhere some schmuck isn't carrying an old Webley or Smith & Wesson Victory Model in their canvas crossdraw holster with a dump pouch of ammo, but if anyone has placed an actual order for new wheelguns it hasn't made a blip on the radar.

Glock isn't really a one-trick pony though. The Glock 17 was the seventeenth patent held by Gaston Glock, and the first sixteen weren't neccessarily gun related.

But no, a Glock 1911 wouldn't put anyone out of business.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a 3rd gen. G19 that was a great pistol. My buddy bought it from me and now has thousands of rounds through it without one hiccup. He cleans it only rarely. It is the epitome of reliability.

I really don't dislike Glocks at all. It's just that fanboys of any type irritate me and Glock seems to have particularly rabid ones.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
I like Glock but they are a one-trick pony. That pony does it's particular trick very well but nonetheless, it's the same trick.

I'm a hardcore Glock fan and carry one every day, it's the only one I like to carry but this is true, Glock is a one trick pony that exceeds in that trick, thus it's popularity.

Glock will not make a 1911 'cause 1911s are a complete different animal and Glock just refine it's original design and adapt it to new chamberings etc, but in essence it's the same design, a great design and very reliable design, but the same since gen1.

I would go farther and say that many others have copied Glocks design and added a few bits, but in essence it's the same design.

Same happened with the 1911, the designs stood unchallenged for decades and many others copied after patents expired.

Only time will tell when a really new design comes along.

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 08-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #17

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

If Glock were to make a 1911 i am 99% sure it would contain no plastic as it just does not work well with the 1911 frame and if they were to make one i would be the first to jump on it, i am a huge Glock fan.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
Glock isn't really a one-trick pony though. The Glock 17 was the seventeenth patent held by Gaston Glock, and the first sixteen weren't neccessarily gun related.
I was referring to Glock, the company that makes Glock pistols, not Gaston Glock himself.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
I was referring to Glock, the company that makes Glock pistols, not Gaston Glock himself.
Gotcha.

Hell, in the end it doesn't really matter...carry what works for you.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #20

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Maybe who knows?