Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Will a laser sight help with acuraccy or are they just tacticool?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,121
Liked 1967 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Default

I'm not a big fan of lasers on pistols. With that said I just did a trade with a shooting buddy of mine that involved a Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace LAser attached to it. The sights on the LCP are jsut about useless. (More on the "just about" to come.) The laser was allowing me to put rounds pretty close fairly quickly at 10 yards (groups around 3-4 inches for 5 shots.) When I took my time with the laser it was getting 2-3 inch groups. The I tried the iron sights and taking my time. I got a cluster of rounds touching. So even though the irons were slow to use and dificult to see, they still provided better accuracy. I'm not sure if the laser was shifting and not tigtened down properly or if it was just too distracting for me.

It may just take some getting used to, but I think I'd rather send the slide off to get milled for night sights.

__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Eturnsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,211
Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default

I know you don't have it anymore. But you should have been able to get better groups with it. Talk to your buddy and look in the owner's manual. In there you will find the instillation specifications. See if it was designed to be used with locktite, or something similar, and then figure out how many inch pounds it is supposed to be torqued to. Correct me if I am wrong, but you just put it on and tightened it by hand right? If something has the torque specified and you just wrench it down by hand and over torque it you will do unnoticable damage to the threads and can have serious issues with it coming loose. When speaking in inch pounds instead of foot pounds a tiny little difference can make a world of problems.

__________________

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Eturnsdale is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,121
Liked 1967 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
I know you don't have it anymore. But you should have been able to get better groups with it. Talk to your buddy and look in the owner's manual. In there you will find the instillation specifications. See if it was designed to be used with locktite, or something similar, and then figure out how many inch pounds it is supposed to be torqued to. Correct me if I am wrong, but you just put it on and tightened it by hand right? If something has the torque specified and you just wrench it down by hand and over torque it you will do unnoticable damage to the threads and can have serious issues with it coming loose. When speaking in inch pounds instead of foot pounds a tiny little difference can make a world of problems.
Actually I do still have it. I'm the recipient of the LCP. The manufacturer does not specify a torque and they do not recommend lock tite on the mounting screws because they have to be removed to get the battery cover off when batteries need to be changed.

I'm not a big fan of the set-up because the position of the switch also affects the grip and on such an abreviated little gun to begin with it just seems to ad more problems than it delivers in benefits. I do suppose though for rapid shots up close it was still delivering good enough accuracy to get teh job done. I just wouldn't rely on it for precision work, but the gun isn't really designed with precision in mind either.

Ther is the set up, on the far right. The screw heads are on the other side, but they are such tiny allen heads that I'm not sure a torque wrench would be of much value.

__________________

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 09-16-2012 at 12:12 AM.
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #24
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KG7IL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Posts: 2,414
Liked 1703 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5195

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
Think about climbing into your attic...wriggling around the rafters...trying to nail a pesky family of squirrels that's moved in...
or racoons...or possums...or rats...or whatever critter is at hand...
Ok, I thought about this for a while, then realized I don't have an attic.

But I know what you mean about the racoons or whatever critters.
I find it just the thing when you poke your muzzle under a stump pile.
__________________
KG7IL is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Eturnsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,211
Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Actually I do still have it. I'm the recipient of the LCP. The manufacturer does not specify a torque and they do not recommend lock tite on the mounting screws because they have to be removed to get the battery cover off when batteries need to be changed.

I'm not a big fan of the set-up because the position of the switch also affects the grip and on such an abreviated little gun to begin with it just seems to ad more problems than it delivers in benefits. I do suppose though for rapid shots up close it was still delivering good enough accuracy to get teh job done. I just wouldn't rely on it for precision work, but the gun isn't really designed with precision in mind either.

Ther is the set up, on the far right. The screw heads are on the other side, but they are such tiny allen heads that I'm not sure a torque wrench would be of much value.

Thanks. Ive not messed with the LCP, or even held one. So I am only speaking from experience on other things.

As for them being too small to have any benifet from a torque wrench. Torque wrenches that are calibrated in inch pounds are generally much smaller than those calibrated in foot pounds. They are designed with these small fixtures in mind.
__________________

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Eturnsdale is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
big shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,310
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
Are you serious with this analogy? You're going to discharge a firearm in your attic to clear critters?
Its what Ratshot was designed for...so that it won't penetrate the plywood, yet kills critters dead
__________________

Calico Specialist
Marlin Specialist
I'm not just Trigger Happy, I'm Trigger Ecstatic!!

big shrek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
big shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,310
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
I was at the range one day and there was a guy two lanes over shoot with a laser on something. Now this would not have peeked my curiosity except for the fact he looked like he was put a laser light show on the target. He was so jumpy and shakey that I felt uncomfortable shooting that I had to observe him. I went over to his lane and asked if everything was alright and he said yes so I asked why are your hands shaking so bad, I actually thought he might have been tweaking on something but he said he could help it, it was like the harder he tried not to shake, the more he would. Eventually he left due to frustration. The moral or the story if you can't shoot you can't shoot, a laser will help you shoot better and is an excellent training tool. You still need a steady hand andsmooth trigger pull. Without those a laser will get you closer or at least show you why your shots are not on paper.
Sounds like either a medical condition (possibly age-related), way too much Red Bull (makes ya twitchy), or low muscle strength...

Over the years it's amazed me that folks who were outta shape would come and expect to hold a pistol/rifle/shotgun dead on for any length of time...
with firearms, it is even MORE important to have good muscle tone for better-than-average control!!!
People wonder how to shoot better...and we talk about breath control, trigger jobs, and all sorts of tweaks...
but NONE of the tips & tweaks will be more than a little bit helpful to someone who is out of shape!!!!

Medical Conditions sometimes have or don't have a solution...if he's just starting to hit Parkinson's/etc...arrgghh
I feel for anyone that has to deal with that!!

Too much Red Bull, gets a chuckle & bad jokes thrown at 'em!!
__________________

Calico Specialist
Marlin Specialist
I'm not just Trigger Happy, I'm Trigger Ecstatic!!

big shrek is offline  
Eturnsdale Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Eturnsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,211
Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default

I wouldn't wish that disease on anyone.

And you bring up a very good point about physical fitness. It goes further than simply being able to stay steady when plinking. Which is one reason I like to stress my body when practicing defensive shooting.

__________________

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Eturnsdale is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 742
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Default

A laser that is properly adjusted should be dead nuts accurate. Mine shoots where I point as long as I do my part. I can put round after round in the same Nickel to Quarter size hole as long as I dont pull a shot. I can do this while laying on my back, shooting upside down, shooting under a table, all without looking down the sights. Thats what makes lasers a great tool. Lasers should equal pin point accuracy not round about kind of sort of. Might be shooter error.

__________________
GunRunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,121
Liked 1967 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
A laser that is properly adjusted should be dead nuts accurate. Mine shoots where I point as long as I do my part. I can put round after round in the same Nickel to Quarter size hole as long as I dont pull a shot. I can do this while laying on my back, shooting upside down, shooting under a table, all without looking down the sights. Thats what makes lasers a great tool. Lasers should equal pin point accuracy not round about kind of sort of. Might be shooter error.
That 's kind of my thinking. The fact that mine is on a super tiny, kind of hard to grip gun with a long trigger pull definitely doesn't help. I've gotten good repeatable accuracy with lasers mounted on full sized guns that friends had.

Doesn't help that I'm just not a laser fan to begin with. Most folks are unwilling to pay for a quality laser and then wonder why they break or don't hold zero. The Crimson Trace has a good reputation as a quality unit.
__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Laser dot sight JPenn856 Optics & Mounts 3 05-31-2012 04:35 AM
Laser Sight dclagg Firearm Accessories & Gear 3 12-25-2011 05:04 AM
Laser sight for G30 Engine5truck Glock Forum 3 10-06-2011 06:46 PM
Laser Sight for XDm .40 beaglesam XD Forum 2 09-05-2010 02:20 PM
357 Laser Sight? jack_ambriez Revolver Handguns 0 08-28-2010 05:07 PM



Newest Threads