Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Will a laser sight help with acuraccy or are they just tacticool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Will a laser sight help with acuraccy or are they just tacticool?

Thinking about putting a laser sight on my glock to help me get tighter groups at the range will a laser sight help?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Yep. They are good for training with your trigger control and make it possible to shoot accurately from any position such as from the hip.

I don't need No stinking signature.

big shrek Likes This 
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Some people do not like them. Me, I do like them, especially when your heart is racing, you are breathing heavily, arms are shaking and your hands are a quiver. That is what will happen to you when you get involved in a confrontation which may escalate into the use of deadly force. You will not be able to concentrate on your sights and the red or green dot will help to indicate the location of where your gun is pointing. Just for grins and giggles, take your empty gun, holster it, then go run a quarter mile as fast as you can, then do a few pushups, and then run back. Now unholster your weapon and try to aim at a target 10 feet in front of you..watch yours sights, and see what the heart rate and breathing does to your steadiness. If you are like most normal people, you will not be able to get a good sight picture, and your target will absolutely refuse to hold still. At least with the red dot, you would be able to see where you are aiming the gun. I know there are some that will say the laser is useless in a lot of cases. But if that were the case, why do swat teams and other agencies use them? And it is a little bit intimidating to have a red dot planted on your chest!!! Get the picture????

Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #4

Liked 1088 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 275

My own opinion is this; work on the basics and don't worry about the gimmics. Spend the money on ammo instead.

The biggest help I see, using a lazer, would be dry-firing in you living room and working on keeping the spot still. I have used one like that, but it was a cheap bore-sighter type laser, and it did help.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #5

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Crimson Trace has some great videos that show you the benifits of a laser in real world situations. They may make even chainfire a believer........

Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
I am the Fanman
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

lasers can help with fast target acquisition. can also help show trigger pull issues and shaky hands. but should be used to augment your sight picture because they do fail and if it does it shouldn't be relied on enough to cause you pause. also with that in mind you have more failure drills you have to perform for the likelyhood of laser failure

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #7

Liked 1960 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

keep in mind as well, that a laser shoots a straight line and bullets travel in an arc so you can only be "spot on" where the bullet crosses the path of the laser. Other than at that distance you will only be close.

Others already shared about how it can show how steady or unsteady you are through trigger pull.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

A laser sight is a great tool, but it's no substitute for marksmanship. The best wrenches are all well and good, but if you aren't a mechanic, your car will still be broken.

Lasers are great for low-light environments when you can't see your sights (well). They are also great if there's an occasion in which you have to shoot from an unusual position and can't get a sight alignment (think police officer shooting from behind a riot shield).

The biggest failure with lasers is in some of the people who buy them and get a false sense of security — those who think that the laser will cure whatever is wrong with their shooting and do the aiming for them. I've watched people at the range with their laser on the bullseye and I've seen the laser jump off target just before their gun goes off because they're flinching just like they were before they bought the laser.

You'll want to be proficient with your gun without the laser first. Again, it's a good tool, but it shouldn't be your only tool. If it's near dark and your muzzle isn't on the bad guy, you might see your laser dot on the wall off to one side and be able to adjust. But if that happens outdoors and there's nothing behind the bad guy for 20 or 30 feet, your laser will simply disappear — you'll have no idea where your gun is pointing, only that it isn't pointing at your target.

Either *you* shoot well or *you* shoot poorly. A laser sight just gives you a way to shoot under some adverse circumstances.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

big shrek Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #9

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Im sure they do , BUT just for myself. When I train at the range I like to practice instinctive shooting. Thats quick draw and bang no sight aquisition or need to switch on a laser . Plus I think a laser can almost hinder your natural ability because you almost become dependant on seeing that dot to make a confident shot.

Try instinctive shooting just for kicks. No one says you have to stick with it. It's not for some people.

But I can tell you I've drastically improved my shot from multiple positions without the aid of any sight or laser

Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 221 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Lasers can have tremendous value, as has already been mentioned in this thread. They're good for practice. And if you carry a lasered weapon, you should certainly practice point shooting, hip shooting, etc...using the laser.

But working within your slide-mounted sight picture should always be your 'bread and butter'. In other words, don't allow that little red dot to become your crutch.

And laser or not, anyone who carries would be best served practicing a bit of 'point-shooting' at the range. Most shooters will find it comes pretty natural from the first time they try it.