wife and glock...help - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > wife and glock...help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

My wife took my G19. She liked the trigger but the grip was a little too big for her. I dont have large hands and it is almost too big for me. She was still getting an occasional limp wrist jam but it was improving with practice. I bought her a Ruger SR9c which has a great trigger and a smaller more friendly to her grip. She shot it Tuesday and did very well. No jams and better groups. She is pretty happy with it. Maybe she will let me shoot it sometime. I did get my G19 back.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #12

I would start her out with a .22

Let her get good with it and move up.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Buns, you live in Chatham, Illinois? That is the home town of the Illinois State Rifle Association, pal. I'd almost bet that if you call their office they can refer you to a local firearms instructor who can help you and your wife. If not, call the NRA and ask for information on one of their local instructors.

In reference to the .38 special... Have you tried using target loads in the pistol for her? Target loads are reduced power loads that are used by some shooters for competition/practice needs. Ask your local gun store about target loads or target reloads for practice shooting. They will probably be a wadcutter type round loaded to the top of the cartridge case and not extending beyond it. They are a softer recoil and much more accurate. One other thing to do is have the trigger properly honed or stoned by a competent gunsmith too. This will soften the trigger pull which could also be a problem for a new shooter, especially if the trigger pulls really hard.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #14

sorry for the late response its been a bit busy around here...I did not know that chatham was the home of the ISRA! Ive lived here my whole life and never knew that...wow! I will def. check that out!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #15

Oh and yes I have tried 38spl target loads it helps her but still not doing great with it...We will keep praticing and trying new things she will get it I have faith!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #16

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buns79 View Post
The only revolver I have is a ruger sp101 in 357 and with it loaded with 38spl she still cant hit anything!
She is probably having a problem with trigger control on that DA revolver and DA semi-auto.

Single-action semi-auto's and DA/SA revolvers may be one option. The lack of trigger travel will help her stay on target since the BANG will come quicker and might be more of a surprise.

How about the High-power 9mm? It is steel and will absorb some recoil, plus it is single-action!!!
browning_hp_2.jpeg  

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If there is enough room that her thumb would get bit, I suppose she can wrap the thumb of her off hand around the top of her left wrist, but be careful to make sure there is enough clearance there. What about a simple athletic wrist brace. Have her shoot with that one for a month or two, as a training aid, and then have her take it off again. Along with the other points mentioned above in regards to correct stance, and alot of practice, she should be giving Bruce Piatt a run for his money within months.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Great thread! I think I can help!

My wife is also an excellent shot wit her Mossberg 500! It's AWESOME to see
a light-weight lady shoot 00 buck and Slug shots. (most of the fun is
watching all the others reactions.)

THE FIX:
My wife also bought a Glock 17 and was having the same problem. The occasional
jam due to a loose grip (i don't like saying limp wrist). Our cop friend/department
shooting instructor told her to pull the left hand toward her and push the right hand
further away. This basically stiffens the wrists. She hasn't had a jam since.

Now to get rid of her nasty habit of pushing the gun while firing.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 12-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #19

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

That's great. That left bicep contraction and right tricep contraction just serves to tighen the grip without requiring more hand strength.

+1

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 01-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #20

I am happy to say after using and trying many of your suggestions this past weekend she managed to but 45 rounds down range all hitting center mass without one singe jam and now she wants her own g19...thanks again for all the help we will continue to practice but thing are looking good!