Why I carry. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Why I carry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1099 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86

You have some more back up in North Florida.
Hell yeah!! This will be the biggest union of armed americans and gun owners!! We will all have to stand strong together!!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmglocks
What happened in Colorado enrages me and reaffirms why we should all carry!
If you've got my back, I've got yours, no questions asked.

My fiancée argues with me over the fact that if someone was "packing" in that theater, that things would have gone A LOT different. She begs to differ, in which, I beg to differ with her. She seems to think that anyone who was carrying would've been too scared/caught off guard to get an accurate shot on him, I said BS, if you start sending lead his way, aim for the head. She says he had a kevlar, my rebuttal, ok and? A gas mask isn't going to stop a bullet from entering your brain housing group, shoot the person in the face, game over. Then I say sling some lead into his upper torso, a few rounds into the chest, that SAPI plate is toast (depending on the caliber of course).

Since the whole thing happened in CO, I've been carrying a second/third magazine on me. I'll be damned if I'll let some stupid SOB get the upper hand on me and jeopardize my life, more importantly, my fiancées life. I'll leave your body leaking on the floor, and the last few seconds of your life you can sit there and tell yourself how stupid you are for even attempting to do such a thing. In between the burning sensations from the bullet cauterizing the wound, of course.

Thoughts and condolences to the families affected by the utter stupidity and carelessness of the shooter, no excuse for it. I hope they release that POS into general population in the prison so the inmates destroy his ass (literally, but not literally lol)

Last edited by XxChino13xX; 07-23-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #13

Liked 165 Times on 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmglocks
What happened in Colorado enrages me and reaffirms why we should all carry!
+1 to that for sure

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

The idea of "shoot him in the head" does have some flaws. This guy had a helmet, full armor, and mask. The mask was because he deployed (what sounds like from reports to be) CS/CN gas.

Now, out of the people I know personally, most of them carry small 9mm or .380 single stack pistols (such as Kahr, or the Ruger LCP), j-frame style revolvers, or 1911's...

Meaning an average of six rounds before you run dry.

Factor in the adrenalin dump, the distance, trying to engage from concealment (I'm assuming people would seek concealment behind seatbacks), and the effects of "tear gas" (severe eye irritation, watery eyes, overproduction of mucus, respiratory distress/coughing, and in some cases heightened "panic reaction")...

Who here thinks they could still snap off head shots? I KNOW I can't.

That being said.
This psycho ass-clown surrendered at the first sight of armed resistance (the police) I truly believe, had someone slammed a few rounds into that armor, even if he wasn't incapacitated, the physical/mental shock of being hit, would have broken (or weakened) his resolve.

Yeah, my j-frame probably wouldn't end the fight, but MABEY if I had him on the ropes, some other Would be sheepdog would snap-to and hammer the prick as well!

This shooting was a horrible scenario. This was a well armed, well prepared, well executed, attack. The odds were in this pricks favor from the start.

But I'd rather face a criminal threat with a gun than a cell phone...

Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I always carry a full size Sig 226 Crimson Trace .357Sig with a 12 round mag and a spare. I am also confidant I can hit the head within 25 yards.

And I Got Your Back.

Check link: http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/armsmaster270/Police%20Dept/?action=view&current=PaperarticlePg1.jpg

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Last edited by armsmaster270; 07-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1340 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I think alot of the citizens that are against guns have no experience with guns. They watch the news and see all the gun violence. They should have some kind of programs to teach the none gun owners on how to handle weapons. I don't go anywhere without my Glock on my side!
Maybe the public needs to be exposed to the positive side of shooting for once. Maybe some clubs could have a "Free Range Day" for brand new shooters. Members could volunteer to train one-on-one and answer questions. Maybe a trick shooter could put on a demonstration for fun. Hot dogs, soda...it would have a much better effect than reading every single day about another family of an Aurora victim.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #17
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1340 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChino13xX View Post
She seems to think that anyone who was carrying would've been too scared/caught off guard to get an accurate shot on him, I said BS, if you start sending lead his way, aim for the head. She says he had a kevlar,
This is common Hollywood thinking (no offense to the fiance') that everyone not trained falls into. When thinking of a real shooting scenario, you have to deal in facts. First, if this had not been a Gun Free Zone (GFZ) , we have to assume that a first release movie theater would've had more than one armed citizen in it. If the theater holds 3-400, then it's safe to assume 4-8 people would be armed (1-2%). Not all of the armed people would be sitting in the same area. If the gas canister falls within 3-5 seats of an armed citizen, then he's probably effectively blinded. However, if 20-30 seats separate the citizen from the canister, he could've effectively sent some rounds down range before becoming effected by gas.

Secondly, Hollywood shows people in "Bullet-PROOF" vests taking bursts from a full-auto assault rifle and fighting on like Rambo after taking dozens of rounds. Now, anyone trained in Kevlar vests knows they have a rating, and if it's not rated high enough, rifle rounds and .41, .44 and even .357 magnum rounds can get through, still causing a fatal wound. Also, many civilians do not obtain and/or wear the side panels that stop rounds from entering the side of the body. Finally, the vest only stops the MASS of the bullet - the actual lead and copper. The ENERGY is still transferred through the vest, causing contusions, broken bones and possible internal damage. Anyone who has ever taken a shot while wearing Kevlar can tell you that they were glad the bullet didn't enter their body, but they still wound up on the ground in a fetal position from the damage the force alone did.

A civilian CCW holder who was armed and far enough back from the CS/CN canister most certainly could have changed this scenario with three to four shots center-of-mass - this would've provided enough pain and trauma to stop him. If our assumption that there could've been 4-8 licensed civilians that night, then 2-4 of them should've had the opportunity at a shot. If half of them froze, 1-2 active, competent civilians returning fire is enough to change the outcome for scores of other theater-goers.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #18

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Add me to the list of back up in Maine! Signing up for the next CCW class available and putting an XD9 on layaway.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #19

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Colorado doesn't tell me we should all carry.

It tells me that those who do should train to a higher level than what's CCW required.

You need to join Frontsight / Gunsight / Sig Sauer Academy or any other defensive hand gun class and renew your training at least once a year.

Colorado is a concealed carry state. I cannot believe someone in there was not carrying.

They just didn't have the training to identify the threat, cover, identify non combatants, have a clear foreground and background and SHOOT THAT BASTARD IN THE FACE.

Your standard Colorado requirement CCW holder would have just got themselves killed or worse yet killed a non combatant.

That would have hurt our cause even more ..

Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00
I think alot of the citizens that are against guns have no experience with guns. They watch the news and see all the gun violence. They should have some kind of programs to teach the none gun owners on how to handle weapons. I don't go anywhere without my Glock on my side!
Many years ago, they offered marksmanship in public school! It was a PE elective and/or an extra-curricular activity. They used real firearms too! .22LR is what you used in that sport. They used to do it in the Boy Scouts too (don't know of they still do).

We've let the emotionally-driven, weak-minded MINORITY in this country fuss and whine restrictive laws into existence. Today, I would not at all be surprised if there was a HUGE uproarious outcry if someone suggested that we teach riflery in schools again.

Riflery and archery were just sports on school. Now, you're looked at as some kind of irresponsible person if you want to teach a kid how to handle a firearm!