Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > why does one pistol stay cleaner then others after firing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default why does one pistol stay cleaner then others after firing?

Serious question .. 3 of us meet every couple of weeks to shoot and then go watch football, racing or whatever & lunch .. we each bring 150 rds of ammo for each gun .. as it happened (not planned) no one had cleaned their pistols since the last time the guns were shot .. we each had shot about 150 rds since the guns last outing .. we had a variety of fmj ammo .. Russian, Winchester White box & UMC .. we exchanged one box of 50 rds so we would be sort of shooting equal ammo to see the difference in accuracy .. all were 115 gr standard .. i had my PT111 & my Glock 19 .. one guy had his PT92 and the other his S & W .. the point is this .. when we were sitting there and were cleaning our guns, we had different amounts of crap in the guns .. the S & W which had FTE & FTF problems was the dirtiest .. the PT92 which had problems with the slide staying open after the last shot was the next dirtiest .. the PT111 which had no problems at all was hardly dirty .. and the Glock which also had no problems, barely looked like it had been shot at all ..
can someone explain this to me? ..
or is more information needed, which i can only provide about my guns ..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought my Beretta M92FS used. Took her to the range the same day.

Failed to feed after the first shot. Pulled out the mag, reloaded it and racked it. I fired it and it failed to feed again. Repeated the process and it still failed to feed. It failed to feed 6 times in a row.

My friend (ex-military) took the gun, stripped it, cleaned it, lubed it, and handed it back to me. It fired flawlessy the rest of the day, it hadn't been cleaned for so long it just would not fire properly.

As for my Glock, I always clean it before and after the range and I clean it at least once a week because I keep it in my car during work. (I live in New Mexico, the heat dries up the oil)

In my opinion, anyone who owns a handgun should always be properly prepared, which includes keeping the gun clean at all times and keeping one full magazine in the gun and one nearby.

Last edited by indyfan; 11-01-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

It could be something more complex and/or specific to the make and model of gun, but my first guess would be that you leave less oil on your guns' internal parts than your friends do, since your two guns were the cleanest.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Powders

Different powders.
Some powder is dirty, some not so bad.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #5

Different powders. I guarantee that Russia crap is the culprit. Some of that stuff turns your hands black from blowback. NASTY stuff.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #6

thanks for the reply's ..
we are going to do a test next time ..
clean guns before test .. shoot 50 rds of same type ammo .. field strip and compare .. clean guns again .. shoot 50 rds of another brand .. field strip and compare .. etc .. not scientific, but might answer our curiousness .. we know different guns catch more crap than others from just the way they are built .. how the guns were cleaned .. and some ammo is just plain dirty .. and some guns will eat anything its fed .. if we come across some earth shattering conclusion i will post it .. LoL

Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #7

Why waste the ammo? A gun is NOT going to manufacture dirt. so if you shoot the same ammo in all the guns you will have the same amount of powder residue, with possible exceptions being for the basic functional differences between guns.

If one gun is a stainless and other is blue, then the perceived difference will be there, but not real difference at all. Practice with the ammo don't waste it on some test. Same ammo same dirt.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #8

Default Glocks are the cleanest shooting pistols of all...

Glocks are made better and never need cleaning as others do!

Used Glock 19 and 17 to train new shooters! Had ever 6 pistols and never cleaned until ready to sell about 2 years later and then replaced them and started over.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrenner View Post

Used Glock 19 and 17 to train new shooters! Had ever 6 pistols and never cleaned until ready to sell about 2 years later and then replaced them and started over.
I agree Glocks need minimal maintenance. But I run at least 4000 rnds p/yr through each of my two primary pistols. I would never consider carrying any of my pistols that hadn't been cleaned regularly. I'll give you that "regularly" is subject to opinion.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrenner View Post

While I can't or wont deny GLocks need for minimal maintenance I can say I really tortured a PT1911 last year not cleaning it until I got to over 1200 rounds and it never failed. My229 Sig has not been cleaned in I can't tell you how long. I wipe off the outside because I do carry it some. But..It is a Sig after all.

AS to the OPs questions true the commie ammo is pretty dirty but so is that WBW stuff that is loaded with their 231 powder. It does shoot pretty well but if you start getting a higher round count the muzzle will start looking like a smoked salmon (HEH!).

Keep in mind that most all different flavors of handgun are made different. Some more oose than others. Take the Glock for instance. Those things rattle like hell because they're built much more loose than many others out there. THey lose a little ob accuracy but they get a huge gain on reliability.Because there's s,implymore places for the crap to go and and more room when the crap gets there.So moving parts. Gocks are combat weapons, not target weapons.This in mind they where never made to make under 3" groups at 25 yards like some target model of brand X. I will gladly take a small hit on accuracy to get the reliability. That's why I've always said target pistols do not make good carry guns. Sure they can really impress the guys on range day with great groups. But they are made more tight and have less room for stuff to lay before it becomes a problem. I have a 9mm Springer 1911 that will make a a clover leaf hole at 25 yards but I'd never try to carry it. The trigger is way too light an it's fit way too tight. I woud not want to carry ti around and get lint and who knows what in it. then find out to might not function when I needed it. I guess I could clean it daily but I"m just not going to do it. And shouldn't need to. Because it was not built to carry. It was built to poke paper and look good doing it.

A lot of target ammo so not the cleanest burning. I've hand rolled tons of rounds with all kinds of powder and the 231 Win is not all that clean, especially in bigger bores like a 45. 9mm it isn't bad but it will build up. Not like commie ammo but it's a little messy. Try running rests with different ammo seeing what works best and allows the longest round count. One cheaper ammo I still use a good deal is Sellier & Bellot. It works great in 9mms but will get kind of funky in a 45. In the 40's I've tried it i nit's better in some pistols than others. Design of the weapon has a lot to do with that. The Glock can probably use about anything. THose things will eat about anything and the dirt is not as much a factor. But is some tighter fit weapons sometimes it pays to be a little pickier what you feed them. THose PT92's don't seem to like ot run quite as dirty so the oil factor will comew into play a little more. I can't speak to the 111 because I've not owned one.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson