Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Who Likes Glock's Finger Grooves? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/who-likes-glocks-finger-grooves-41091/)

Glockenspieler 04-11-2011 12:46 AM

Who Likes Glock's Finger Grooves?

After many years carrying various concealed weapons (S&W Revolvers, Sig Sauers and Glocks) in different contexts, I favored the Glock 23 while "On the Job" (always plainclothes) and the G27 otherwise. I recently retired my 15 year-old G23 and G27 and acquired new Generation 4 versions of these (and a G22 as well), as I like the grip texture of the Gen. 4's. (I AM aware of the purported issues with Gen. 4's). I do not add any of the backstraps despite my big mitts.

However, I can do without the finger grooves on the G22 and G23. My old (and my issued) G23 had a straight frontstrap, while the new G23 has finger grooves. The grooves for the ring finger and pinkie are way too small for my digits, which fall squarely on the peaks instead of in the valleys. Nonetheless, they don't interfere with my shooting, and a Pachmayr Grip Glove smooths out the topography, though increasing the grip diameter a bit.

The G22 has an odd configuration where the pinkie groove is bigger than the ring finger groove so only my ring finger falls on a peak instead of a valley, so I just shoot it as is.

My G27's fit my hand well as they come, considering the pinkie is unemployed. A Pearce Grip brand (+0) XL grip extending floorplate added to the magazine proved to provide a good full grip. My agency specifically prohibited those other aftermarket magazine extensions that increase capacity (+1 or +2). (I just had to see for myself and found they did indeed compromise reliability.)

After all this verbosity my point is I would personally prefer straight frontstraps on the Gen. 4 G22 and 23 (I do know they can be ground off).

Any comments?

General_lee 04-11-2011 01:17 AM

I have a 2nd gen G17 without the finger grooves, and a 3rd gen G19 with finger grooves.
While I do prefer a grip without the grooves, the finger grooves on the 19 happen to fit me just right.

Car54 04-11-2011 01:47 AM

Thanks a lot, I had to get out of my "plop my butt down in front of the TV chair" to go look and see what I had. I have a G30 and the two finger grooves fit my middle and ring finger pretty good. My pinkie fits on the extended mag. It's a comfortable grip for me. I used a G19 and a G23 when I was working but I don't remember if they had the smooth or finger groove grip.

Glockenspieler 04-11-2011 02:02 PM

Upon closer examination I see that the first two grooves are the same on all three grip sizes, and it's only the pinky groove that varies. Perhaps Gaston Glock has an unusual set of fingers?
It is, after all, a very minor quibble, but my vote would be to bring back the straight frontstrap.

KennyFSU 04-11-2011 02:46 PM

I love how my 3rd gen feels compared to a 1st or 2nd but it's just about user preference. I like the grooves and some do not.

truevil1313 04-12-2011 02:17 PM

I like the groves on my 22, but not on my 23. The 22 seems to fit just right, but the 23 does not. My ring finger and pinky finger feel squished, and fall on the peeks as well. They both still shoot just fine though.

M14sRock 04-12-2011 04:12 PM

I have a Gen3 G17 with grooves and they don't bother me. BUT I prefer the Gen2's. That said, I have not bothered to remove the finger grooves from my G3, even though it is a simple job.

voyager4520 04-16-2011 11:54 AM

They fit my hands fine but I wouldn't mind seeing Glocks without finger grooves. I know many people whose hands don't fit the finger grooves.

ki4dmh 05-04-2011 09:52 PM

I own Glocks with and without the grooves. I don't really notice them anymore.

Davo45 05-04-2011 10:54 PM

I guess the finger grooves just fit my hand. In either case I like the finger groove and light rail frame (Gen3) much better than the Gen 1 & 2. I haven't gotten a Gen 4, but have shot a fellow officers and like it best of all. I guess I could do without the finger grooves, but they haven't been a problem for me.