What are the pros and the cons of a glock? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

What are the pros and the cons of a glock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
K, is there any gun that has pretty much no cons?

I want a light weight reliable pistol that has high ammo capacity and is safe.
Why? Because I want a pistol that will pretty much never fail me.
Glocks, XDs and M&Ps all fit the light weight, reliable and high ammo capacity criteria. They all have drop safeties at a minimum.

Personally, I find them all perfectly safe. But what matters is what makes you feel safe. As I stated before, I carry a Glock, and I don't want a thumb safety. I carry it in a holster that is designed for that model and covers the trigger guard.

XDs also have a grip safety. Personally (there's that word again) if I were going to have any other safety, this would be it. Two things have to happen to make the gun go off the grip has to be gripped, and the trigger has to be pulled. Simply picking up the gun with the willful intention of firing it will take care of the grip safety, and pulling the trigger once your sights are on target takes care of the trigger. Some people don't like grip safeties. There's something about the way they grip the gun that makes the safety pinch some way or another and not work properly.

Some XDs were made with thumb safeties when SA was going after a military contract that required thumb safeties. I don't know if any of these were made available to the public or whether that feature is still available.

M&Ps are available with or without a thumb safety. Some people don't like their trigger/drop safety; it's a hinged trigger.

I've shot all three, and I like them all. Find a way to try them all out for yourself and see which YOU prefer. I can't speak for your area, but around here, they all run in the same general price range.

Happy shooting!

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 07-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

utf, the XD with a thumb safety was available to the public. It was made for LEO and such but only available in the 45 4" flavor. I don't know why SA limited themselves so much but they did.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
Agreed +100000
XD, Glock, Sig...all boils down to what you like and are competent with. The Glock 19 is my choice; but that's why we have choices to pick from. Sounds to me like some "familiarization" might be in order?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #24

I'm a 31 yr retired LEO and started with wheel guns, then autos. Needless to say I have owned many handguns personally besides what the Departments I worked for issued. During the last several years in my career I was the Chief firearms instructor for my Department after completing the FBI transitional firearms instructor course. The last auto I purchased was a Glock 27 (baby glock in 40 S&W). I was looking for a concealable auto with enough stopping power to fit my wants and needs. I tried the Glock 27 and instantly fell in love. It was relatively lightweight and powerful and shot very accurately out to 25 yards. With the right holster I wear it all day, everyday, and forget it's there. I ordered the magazine extenders thinking I could carry more ammo and get a better grip. Maybe for some people they work, but not for me. I have heard many times that the lack of an external safety makes the auto dangerous. I don't see it that way. It has the safety on the trigger that must be depressed before it can fire, and in my opion is as safe as any firearm when handled properly. When I say properly two things should always be kept in mind. Never handle it in a careless manner or put your finger inside the trigger guard until your ready to shoot, and always carry it in a holster or safe pouch where the trigger cannot be accidently tripped. I would add this personal advise: treat every gun as if it is always loaded and save the drinks for the end of the day.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwoods View Post
I'm a 31 yr retired LEO and started with wheel guns, then autos. Needless to say I have owned many handguns personally besides what the Departments I worked for issued. During the last several years in my career I was the Chief firearms instructor for my Department after completing the FBI transitional firearms instructor course. The last auto I purchased was a Glock 27 (baby glock in 40 S&W). I was looking for a concealable auto with enough stopping power to fit my wants and needs. I tried the Glock 27 and instantly fell in love. It was relatively lightweight and powerful and shot very accurately out to 25 yards. With the right holster I wear it all day, everyday, and forget it's there. I ordered the magazine extenders thinking I could carry more ammo and get a better grip. Maybe for some people they work, but not for me. I have heard many times that the lack of an external safety makes the auto dangerous. I don't see it that way. It has the safety on the trigger that must be depressed before it can fire, and in my opion is as safe as any firearm when handled properly. When I say properly two things should always be kept in mind. Never handle it in a careless manner or put your finger inside the trigger guard until your ready to shoot, and always carry it in a holster or safe pouch where the trigger cannot be accidently tripped. I would add this personal advise: treat every gun as if it is always loaded and save the drinks for the end of the day.
Amen! Good words from Deepwoods above.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwoods View Post
i'm a 31 yr retired leo and started with wheel guns, then autos. Needless to say i have owned many handguns personally besides what the departments i worked for issued. During the last several years in my career i was the chief firearms instructor for my department after completing the fbi transitional firearms instructor course. The last auto i purchased was a glock 27 (baby glock in 40 s&w). I was looking for a concealable auto with enough stopping power to fit my wants and needs. I tried the glock 27 and instantly fell in love. It was relatively lightweight and powerful and shot very accurately out to 25 yards. With the right holster i wear it all day, everyday, and forget it's there. I ordered the magazine extenders thinking i could carry more ammo and get a better grip. Maybe for some people they work, but not for me. I have heard many times that the lack of an external safety makes the auto dangerous. I don't see it that way. It has the safety on the trigger that must be depressed before it can fire, and in my opion is as safe as any firearm when handled properly. When i say properly two things should always be kept in mind. Never handle it in a careless manner or put your finger inside the trigger guard until your ready to shoot, and always carry it in a holster or safe pouch where the trigger cannot be accidently tripped. I would add this personal advise: Treat every gun as if it is always loaded and save the drinks for the end of the day.

+1000000000

Old 07-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #27

A little reminder. Stop talking some much BLAH BLAH about the Glock "lack of safety".

Read the 4th rule and look at the picture.
4safetyrules-photo.jpg

Now I have to agree with one thing. If the gun its not comfortable in your hand you will have some problems. The Smith and Wesson MP series are more contour friendly than the Glock and also less bulky that the XD or XDM. Now it will be up to you. They all run around the same price.

Another one you want might want to try is the Ruger 95 or the new SR9 series.

Good luck

Last edited by james_black; 07-30-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No cons, it's like any other striker firearm, if it does it's job, then it's otay. James I have to agree with you, the only safety on any firearm is the one between your ears.

It's Glock or not.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #29

Now let me show you a couple of examples....
_wsb_355x278_rackslide1.jpg
Perfect example of the 4th rule.

Another one example....
finger_off_trigger.jpg

Even Sarah Connor know the drill, look....
images.jpg

Now if you do this.........
Finger on the trigger, LOADED, and pointed at a unsafe direction

I hope you get the point. At the end, accidents, its all human error. Learn, practice and repeat. Dont be hating Glocks because of a few IdiOtS.
l_62c74abe8ba64428804df90a631299f6.jpg   51orteirs-l__ss500_.jpg  

Old 07-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
No cons, it's like any other striker firearm, if it does it's job, then it's otay. James I have to agree with you, the only safety on any firearm is the one between your ears.

It's Glock or not.
Thanks Hunter.
Live long and Prosper also