What is +P ammo?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > What is +P ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default What is +P ammo?

Wife just got a new Glock 19 (9mm) and we were wondering what is different about the +P & +P+ ammo, & can it be safely shot in the 19?

John

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 498

+P ammo is loaded to produce higher pressure than standard ammo.

I am not an expert on which guns will handle +p safely. Check with the manufacturer.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8852 Times on 3833 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

As the man said- hotter ammo. Officially, there are only 4 +p catridges- .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, .45 ACP (and ALL .38 Super). The SAAMI standard for those is about 17% hotter than standard load.

Even if safe to shoot in a given gun, it WILL accelerate wear. How much? Beats the heck out of me- will vary depending on the gun, and how much of it is shot. There IS no SAAMI standard for +P+ ammo (so they can load whatever their lawyers think they can)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #4

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

Even if safe to shoot in a given gun, it WILL accelerate wear.
That being said I wouldn't use any +p ammo as range ammo. I would run a box through your firearm(s) to test it out(firearm permitting ) and then use it only as carry/self defense ammo. You can use regular ammo at the range. This will save you a few bucks as well as wear and tear on your gun.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
+P ammo is loaded to produce higher pressure than standard ammo.

I am not an expert on which guns will handle +p safely. Check with the manufacturer.
I would definately check with the manufacturer

" TO EACH HIS OWN "

Old 01-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

There is a good article by our own Canebrake in the Ammunition section.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/inside-scoop-p-45073/

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, That article at http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...scoop-p-45073/ answered a lot of questions. I can't find anything in the Glock 19 manual so I sent Glock an email question to see if it was good to shoot. I'll let ya know when I get an answer back. I think that at any rate we will probably just use the standard Luger, maybe Hornaday or Fed HST for HD.
Thanks again, John

Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89

That being said I wouldn't use any +p ammo as range ammo. I would run a box through your firearm(s) to test it out(firearm permitting ) and then use it only as carry/self defense ammo. You can use regular ammo at the range. This will save you a few bucks as well as wear and tear on your gun.
Just for what its worth. I will only carry the ammo that I train with at the range. If you are not comfortable running +p all the time in your firearm I would say stick with standard loads. I wouldn't trust my life to a round that I have only shot a box or two of. But that is just my 2¢

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer View Post
I can't find anything in the Glock 19 manual so I sent Glock an email question to see if it was good to shoot. , John
JD already did that. The response he got is a sticky at the top of the Glock Forum.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry, I'm new to the forum and I didn't know what a sticky was. I found the thread and read all of it and it answered my question. I really appreciate all you guys and gals taking time to answer questions. The knowledge in this forum beats anything I've ever seen. I'll do a little more searching next time b4 asking a question. I still haven't heard back from my email to Glock but now I'm good.
Thanks again, John