Wanting to buy wife a Glock, which one? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Wanting to buy wife a Glock, which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kentucky, if you want a Glock, don't let these Glock trolls talk you out of it. I think these Glock haters visit this Glock forum just to stir up some chit because they've nothing better to do.
Glock is the firearm that all other striker guns were patterned after and Glock continues to own 80% of the market worldwide.

As an armorer, I like working on Glocks far more than any other firearm in it's class. Don't get me wrong, I like all the handguns I own, but the Glocks are the easiest to maintain.

Glocks are made-up of 33 different parts. You can completely disassemble 25 Glock 17s, throw all the parts in a huge pile, reassemble the firearms while interchanging the parts, and have 25 Glock 17s that will preform flawlessly. Their a freak'n work of art.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 01-25-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If memory serves; the 36 is the smallest grip width. I've been wrong before. The 26/27 is just barely wider but they are shorter from finger grooves to backstrap.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 01-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is my sister firing my 3rd gen Glock 19, as you can see her small hands have no trouble holding it

Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

the g26 works good for a lot of ladies.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Let her hold them and see which one feels right.

My recommendations (and probably her pick) would be for a Glock 19 or a Glock 36.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have a glock 17 and 19. My wife loves the G19, it fits her hand perfectly and has very little recoil. However, I did not know Glock made a .380, if they make one in a compact or sub-compact that's the direction I would go for my wife.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckynet View Post
She;s been hunting with me for years, she's been to nome alaska and killed caribou, to colorado killing elk and here at home killing whitetails...she's quite familiar with weapons just has small hands.

Back to my original question which glock fits the smallest hands.....

thanks
I have "Small hands". The new Gen 4 fitted with the smallest available grip backstrap doesn't even cut it for me. By design, the only Glock that properly fits small hands (including mine) is either:
A) Glocks Slim Line 36, .45ACP, which has only a 6 round capacity.
B) A Glock that has had a grip reduction performed to it.
I did went the same exact route and ended up realizing my mistake too late after I spent some time on the range. I am going the latter of the 2 routes with my G19 and resizing the grips. The G19 will never be an every-day-carry for me until this is completed. My PPS with ext. cap mag (a whole whopping 8 rnds! :-0) is the comprimise I had to come up with in the mean time. Not bad and I may just keep it as my EDC after the Glock is done. Anyway,
Since Form 4473 specifically disqualifies you from directly buying the gun for her (you can "gift" it and such to her after the fact). I think you're both gonna be happier if you just take her shopping and steer her in the right direction. I know my wife would have to actually be involved in the decision of what handgun is right for her. I would also resent someone that decided they knew what was best for me without my input. I'm guessing she has already said "I want a Glock" but she's still gonna need to put her paws on all the different models. Otherwise you might end up making the same mistake I did and taking something home that she don't like next month. It would be a lot like clothes shopping for someone (adult aged) and not giving them any say-so. Maybe you're trying to surprise her for Valentines day? LOL That would be pretty cool. PS. My wife seen the most expensive carry handgun I had in the safe and decided she wanted it :-( I had just brought home a brand spankin' new Special Edition Walther PPK/S fully machine engraved model until then.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I for one am not a great fan of the Glock but it is a good and rock steady pistol for those of you that like them. I love my Sigs and Springfields, but I purchased my wife a Glock 19 since that is what she uses for her work. The funny thing is that she would rather carry my Sig P220 in .45ACP, for those of you that have them or have seen them they have a very large grip, it is funny because she is a small framed woman.

The best thing you can do is take her to a gun shop/range and back away and let her choose. Buying a weapon for someone is like buying clothes for them as a surprise, it might fit them, it might not or they may not like your choice.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #29
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2015 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Small hands do have problems with the G19 & G23. I have talked with police that tell me the female officers have problems with them too. My G36 fits me much better than my G19. I have small hands and the G19 is a barely fit. My wife can shoot the G19 but it is too big for her and not comfortable. The SR9c fit her very well. It is smaller in the grip but a couple ozs heavier empty. I am looking at selling my G19 and getting a SR9c for myself.
As far as revolvers go, my wife has trouble with double action. She was cocking the hammer for every shot.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Small hands do have problems with the G19 & G23. I have talked with police that tell me the female officers have problems with them too. My G36 fits me much better than my G19. I have small hands and the G19 is a barely fit. My wife can shoot the G19 but it is too big for her and not comfortable. The SR9c fit her very well. It is smaller in the grip but a couple ozs heavier empty. I am looking at selling my G19 and getting a SR9c for myself.
As far as revolvers go, my wife has trouble with double action. She was cocking the hammer for every shot.
Roger that. Anybody can pick up just about any pistol and send lead down range provided they can handle the recoil. That's a no brainer. Some will tell you that anyone can shoot a Glock, which is mostly true but accuracy is something else entirely. I think this topic rears it's ugly head a lot because some people think the simple act of being able to hold the pistol and fire it is enough. They fail to realize that you will never gain good accuracy by shooting a pistol that is too big for their hands. It's just physically impossible to clamp the pistol with your hands if you can't get your fingers completely around the grip. Good enough for short durations at close range maybe but not truely accurate. My wife for example, can hold surprisingly tight groups with my .357 mag (as good as any I can do) at 15 yards yet she is all over the place with my Glock 19. I'm slightly better than her with the G19 because I learned to improvise my grip to the larger G19. I thought it was the pistol at first but it most assuredly is not. A quick check on the bench vice proved that. We are both much more accurate with the slim grips of the Walther PPS. Bench checking both pistols, it's hard to tell the difference. Proper pistol grip is a key component of accuracy.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!