Wanting to buy wife a Glock, which one? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Wanting to buy wife a Glock, which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2573 Times on 1402 Posts
Likes Given: 738

Before you buy her a Glock, check out the Ruger SR9c. Better trigger and smaller grip. My wife has small hands and I got her the SR9c. Not as easy to take down as the Glock but much more comfortable to shoot for small hands. She was able to keep 50 rnds in a 5" target center at 7 yds. I may get to shoot it sometime if she lets me. She is also able to load the 10 rnd mags by herself. She cant load the G19 15 rnd mag without a loading assist. Hers came with 2 10 rnd mags with flat and hooked butt plates. She preferred the flat butt plate. They usually come with a 10 and 17 rnd mag unless you are in the PRK. I got a little better price on it because it had 2 10 rnd mags. I have been thinking of getting one for myself as I dont have large hands. Bigger than her hands though. My G36 fits me better than my G19.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Consider this the obligatory look at the XD family of handguns too!

My XD40 has gone bang every time I've pulled the trigger, I'd trust my family's life to that gun.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 471 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckynet View Post
Hello, Im wanting to buy my wife a glock, she has small hands, are all Glock's the same size?
I realize there are different calibers but the actual size of the pistol is what im asking!

Thanks for your help
Kentucky
Quote:
Yes she likes the glock but she doesnt care either!

I want her to have a pistol that will fire no matter what everytime she squeezes. Thus the glock.....

Thanks for replies but i guess i still dont know what to look for?

I guess the compact or subcompact?

She has little hands thus needing a small grip..........
Quote:
She;s been hunting with me for years, she's been to nome alaska and killed caribou, to colorado killing elk and here at home killing whitetails...she's quite familiar with weapons just has small hands.

Back to my original question which glock fits the smallest hands.....

thanks
No where in here did it mention her ability. All I saw was the statement of the uninformed trying to buy a pistol because of what is heard through Glock fandom.

Not exactly sure what makes you think that the Glock would fire no matter what?

Then ask which Glock fits small hands best.

All leads me to believe you may be a little deficient in firearms knowledge.

Go to a range and rent different models and see which fit her small hands best. Good Luck.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3273 Times on 1884 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Besides others telling you to go to the range, and other handguns could fit your requirements better, and you insist on a Glock,

Then why ask our opinions when you can go to the store and find out for yourself?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Well, Kentucky, it sounds like the 9mm-.40S&W glocks are going to have the slimmest grips. In other words, if the model number starts with a 1 or a 2, that's as slim as its going to get.

Also: try other guns . Best of luck.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 01-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2979 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

Kentucky,

Shihan was correct if you get her a Glock which I would recommend at this point for a first gun. Please make sure before she carries it that she spends some good time on the range going through some drills other than just pulling the trigger. Like changing magazines, safe handling procedures, loading the mags and operating the slide. Main thing the finger does not ever go in the trigger guard until on target. And make sure it is unloaded before squeezing the trigger to remove the slide for cleaning! The 9mm would be a good choice for her since recoil is less and ammunition is plentiful and less expensive than other calibers. There are some fine 9mm rounds although for me I prefer larger calibers. Like the 9mm Hornady Critical Defense and others. The grip is not that much of an issue because even little petite ladies with small hands can handle a Glock with no problem. But as stated let he go feel one before you buy. But anatomically it should be no problem. Depending on what she wants it for would determine what model. Example Protection only would be the compacts. For protection and targer shooting I would recommend the Mid to full size. They also can be carried for Conceal Carry but just need to make the decision of carry position and holster. The Glock is a good weapon because of the trigger pull and the fact the bore is not much different pointing than the Index finger on your shooting hand if you point your finger at the target while gripping the weapon you will see what I am speaking of. The bore will be pointing in the exact same location. And only be about 1/2 inch higher than your pointing index finger. Food for thought!
Take Care and Good Luck with your choice.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2979 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

Kentucky,

Sorry for the type-Os. Never claimed to be a typist!

Old 01-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I don't own a Glock...Good lord I'm in a compromised position!!!

AS stated..Look at several different types and see what fits best. I understand that you have Glock wood and nothing else is comparable but you will do you, your wife, a great justice if you both 1)look at more than one brand and style. 2) look into some pistol training so you understand them better. It appears with the hunting experience you know rifles. But a pistol/revolver is another animal. I'm at a loss how you can have any real experience with pistols when the only brand that will do you know nothing about. Not trying to bust your ass or anything. It's just an observation that is pretty easily seen.

Glock makes a great firearm. but they are not for everyone. Modern pistols being what they are for the most part any reputable maker will give you a fine weapon. But with so many options as to feel and features you will do yourself a great justice to look at all your options. A weapon has to fit the shooter. Otherwise it's a liability and can be more harm than good. Even if it's a Glock.

From one Kentucky guy to another..Alittle friendly advice.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Hello, Im wanting to buy my wife a glock, she has small hands, are all Glock's the same size?
I realize there are different calibers but the actual size of the pistol is what im asking!

Thanks for your help
Kentucky
Kentuckynet, I'll try to give you a little info without the chithing and lectures. If your wife has no preference, and you want to buy a Glock, then buy a ------ ----- Glock! For a smaller handgun, I like a G26. My wife also shoots it and she has pretty small hands.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Back to my original question which glock fits the smallest hands.....

Compact models like the Glock 19 in 9mm or Glock 23 in 40SW

Get the Generation 4 model because it features an adjustable backstrap so it can be adjusted to fit smaller hands.

Glock 19 Generation 4