using a light for home defense?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > using a light for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default using a light for home defense?

the other day, i had a friendly debate with someone at the range about whether or not it was a good idea to have a light on a HOME DEFENSE gun…

he thought i was stupid for using a light because "it says 'look over here and shoot me'".

heres what i think…

what do YOU think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I have a light on my home defense pistol. I have read the articles etc about the advantages and disadvantages of having a light and how it will give away your position. But I agree with the video you need to be able to know what your target is and you also have the option to not use the light but it's there if you want it. Something I have thought about is that some FBI agents in the article I was reading, and I don't know where it is or what magazine it was in, but they said if you use a light don't have it on the gun. Have it in you non shooting hand held at arms length to your side or as far as possible away from you that way when your attacker fires at the light your to the side and assuming he is a good shot only your arm is out there so to speak instead of your entire body. My light is actually on my gun but I could always quickly remove it and hold it to the side if I felt I needed to, or leave it on the gun and use the momentary flash option, or the locked on option or not use it at all but at least I would have options instead of not having a light and wishing I did. I also keep a flashlight by my bed as well that I could grab

Old 08-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

Liked 1489 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I keep a low-level light burning in my house at the opposite end from my bedroom. An intruder would be back-lit while I would be in the dark. My HD gun is an 870 that lives by my bed, it has a light with a momentary contact switch mounted on the slide so that, if necessary, I can blink the bad guy to confirm my target.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #4

Liked 1002 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 650

If you're worried the intruder will shoot at the light, stick small mirrors around everywhere. Also, want a light on a gun? Look this up; www.wickedlasers.com That should do the trick!

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

Liked 187 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I'll argue for the side in the debate that supports no light mounted to your pistol.

Laser sight, sure no problem. Some people are half blind and need a laser sight to see where the bullet is going to go.

Light -- no way. A light just gives your own position away. It only attracts lead.

If you don't know how to shoot in the dark, then leave a light on in the far side of your residence for backlighting. Or leave the outside lights on at night, which is what you are supposed to do anyway in a high risk environment.

I live alone, so anything or anyone moving in my residence is not supposed to be there. No girlfriends have a key. No family or friends living nearby. I do not need to "identify" anything moving in my apartment before I shoot it.

If it's in the apartment and it's bigger than my cat, it gets shot on sight in the dark.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Liked 187 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
the other day, i had a friendly debate with someone at the range about whether or not it was a good idea to have a light on a HOME DEFENSE gun…

he thought i was stupid for using a light because "it says 'look over here and shoot me'".

heres what i think…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRAEaDZN3bA

what do YOU think?
Jeeze Holmes ... a 9 minute video ... who's going to watch a 9 minute video ???

Can't you find a 1 min or 2 min video somewhere instead ???
Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1688 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 593

I use a light when I am coyote hunting. I just flick the light on when I hear something moving. Most of the time I bag the coyote before he can get away. Even Jerry Mickulek does not have the situational awareness or reflexes of a coyote. I feel pretty good about using a light to blind a goblin before I blast him with the maverick 88. After all I wouldn't want the last thing the bad guy sees to be a muzzle flash. The light is for the goblins own good.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #8

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I live alone, so anything or anyone moving in my residence is not supposed to be there. No girlfriends have a key.
Girlfriends?....

Geez man, we should worry about YOU getting shot....

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21641 Times on 12276 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

one of the most basic and important rules of gun safety. know your target.

unless you know 100% what your target is, you have no business pulling the trigger.

everyone's situation and environment are different. so different approaches to different situations are called for.
single or married? children, and how many and how old?
urban or rural area?
light or heavy sleeper?
interior lighting or darkness?
handheld or gun mounted?

a person needs to define what type or if any lighting is called for in their unique circumstances. there is no one size fits all answer, as everyone's needs are going to be different.

but you had better be sure of what your target is before you pull the trigger, and how you go about that to make sure, is something everyone needs to take into consideration. there have been many cases where someone has shot the wrong person, thinking they were an intruder in their home.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #10

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

When I was 15, I broke into someones garage and stole some road flares...took them down the street and lit them off...yay...15 year old fun...

I don't know if it's internet tough talk, or if there are a bunch of psychopaths on this forum, but I'm not prepared to kill a bored 15 year old child because I need to blast everything in the dark.
If I thought life was that scary, I would lock myself in my bedroom and call the cops. I took a responsibility when I decided to arm myself for home protection, one of them being to identify my target before shooting it...even at a potential risk to me.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This