Used police Glock 22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Used police Glock 22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Used police Glock 22

i have found a place that takes trade in firearms from law enforcement agencies.
where they sell police trade in service guns. the have glock 22's with two mags for under $400 after tax and other fees. the guns have some carry wear im sure. my issue is how much have they been fired? i feel like these being service weapons they maybe in rougher shape. i know glocks are tough, but im not sold on this yet.
what do you guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

Actually police issue weapons are usually fired less than you'd think. I can't remember the numbers I read in an article once but police average many less rounds through their issued firearms than the average person. My department only qualifies twice a year and we put about 100 rounds through each carry weapon each qualification. Some departments only qualify once a year so it's probably in fairly good condition. My bro just picked up a police trade in Glock 22 and it looks almost new.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

I had purchased a police trade in and the exterior shows signs of carry wear. However the inside looks brand new, it did not even have wear on the barrel and that's where you will notice it first. Any good shop will let you do a basic break down of the weapon for inspection, just look it over and judge for yourself. Keep in mind the main places to check, the inside of the slide just in front of the ejection port for galling, around the barrel, and the four frame ears where the slide rides. (note in many years of owning Glock's I have yet to wear those ears) Plus as stated by the other poster, my departments fire very few rounds though them, my department qualified twice yearly and we only fired 200 rounds each time. Although there were some of us that practiced a couple times a month, I can never practice to much.

Good luck with your selection.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #4

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't believe the Glock 22 3rd gen that I bought about 2 weeks ago was LE trade-in, but I'm guessing I got an ok deal on it as I paid $415 + tax for it and that was with 3 - 15 round mags, a double mag holder and a single mag holder. As far as the weapon it looks like new other then slight holster wear on the sides towards the front of the slide.

Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #5

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTMAC26 View Post
I had purchased a police trade in and the exterior shows signs of carry wear. However the inside looks brand new, it did not even have wear on the barrel and that's where you will notice it first. Any good shop will let you do a basic break down of the weapon for inspection, just look it over and judge for yourself. Keep in mind the main places to check, the inside of the slide just in front of the ejection port for galling, around the barrel, and the four frame ears where the slide rides. (note in many years of owning Glock's I have yet to wear those ears) Plus as stated by the other poster, my departments fire very few rounds though them, my department qualified twice yearly and we only fired 200 rounds each time. Although there were some of us that practiced a couple times a month, I can never practice to much.

Good luck with your selection.
The Sergeant gives excellent advice! About a year ago I bought a LE trade-in G22 for $350, a Gen 2 made in 1997 that had external wear but not much internally, The barrel looked like new, even after all those years. I was able to field strip a couple guns and the first one I looked at had quite a bit of slide peening or galling where SGTMAC26 described. The second one had some but not bad so I went with it. This is a known issue with the G22 so look there for an indication of the number of rounds fired over the years. Glock says the peening is not a problem but it's nice to find one with as little as possible. My G22 is just broken in nicely and should last a lifetime - so yes these are a good deal. These LE trade-ins usually are gone over by a Glock armorer before being sold so I doubt you'll find a bad one.

ETA, I'm curious... in IL do the G22s come with 10rd mags? I doubt they'd have the original 15rd mags like mine did in Idaho. One mag probably was as old as the gun and the other was a little newer. If they do come with 15rd mags be sure they're legal for you.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-20-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I was able to field strip a couple guns and the first one I looked at had quite a bit of slide peening or galling where SGTMAC26 described. The second one had some but not bad so I went with it. This is a known issue with the G22 so look there for an indication of the number of rounds fired over the years. Glock says the peening is not a problem but it's nice to find one with as little as possible.
I've talked to the Techs at Glock about the peening, the main cause is a worn-out recoil apring assembly and/or hot rounds. Unless it is extremely bad, it is really nothing to worry about and can be cleaned up with a flat file without too much trouble. I have primarily seen it on .40s.
glock-peening.jpg  

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 11-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #7

Well as Glasshartt has stated, you can address this issue with a flat file. However, in my experience as a very longtime armorer dressing the barrel side of the issue is fine, but dressing the slide can lead to a result of the issue worsening on the barrel. Replacing the recoil spring is a suggested solution of sorts. I have personally witnessed this issue appear after firing under 250 rounds on a new out of the box weapon on more than a few occasions. Yes, while most were on the .40 S&W caliber weapons, I have noted it on some G19 and on the G32's as well. (the later were off duty carry weapons) While, yes it is true the weapon will function with a very high degree of reliability with this wear, I merely have suggested this as a means to assist in selecting a weapon with as little wear/use as possible as an aid. I personally will take a Glock in about any condition, just on the reliability factor alone.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #8

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Funny, there are many opinions on what causes slide peening! I've heard it is aggravated by using a recoil spring that's too heavy. Many assume that the extra effort to compress the heavy spring is easier on the gun but what can happen is exactly the opposite - the heavy spring slams the slide hard against the stop block as the next round is chambered.

Anyway, we all agree on this - worry more about internal wear than holster wear if you go shopping for a LE trade-in G22.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Biz

Is correct! Most police qualification courses have a max of 60 rounds. So if the officer qualified twice per year that is only 120 round per year. Then if you figure most agencies trade weapons every 5 years or so, that would mean that this weapon would only have 600 or so rounds max. And obviously we even had some brand new weapons in the armory inventory when the trade date came up. So some will be a lot newer and in better condition than the others. Normally they are great deals and good pistols for the money. It also takes a lot to have a lot of wear to the outside of a Glock Pistol. Good Luck pick out a good one!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #10

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Living in Massachusetts if we want to buy a Glock from a dealer it must be manufactured before 1998. This being said I own a 21, 27 & a 17 that were all police trade ins....all in great shape. I have put about 3000 rounds (minimum) through the 17 without one issue.