Undecided - Glock 21 or Glock 30?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Undecided - Glock 21 or Glock 30?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Undecided - Glock 21 or Glock 30?

Hi all,

Abit new here... I tried to search for this particular question but did not find
anything so I figured I would post and see if anybody has any opinions.
I'm still waiting for the next trip to my local range to try out both the
21 and 30 but figured I would also ask some of the people here.

Currently I own a Glock 19. As it was my first gun, I decided to go with
the 9mm round and I picked the Glock as I liked the way it felt in my hand
and how it shoot versus a few other guns I tried (Beretta, Springfield, etc.)

I am looking to go to a .45ACP size round but cannot decide between the
21 and the 30. I would like to think the 30 is probably going be closer to my
current Glock 19 in the way of size, etc. but I am wondering how big of a
difference is in "perceived recoil" between the Glock 21 and 30 vs. my 19.

Also another considering factor is I am getting my Concealed Weapons Permit
shortly after Christmas so I am also looking as far as how easy it is to
conceal either weapon.

Any opinions from someone who has experience with these
guns and can compare them would be most helpful

** On a side note, I should say that I have tried the Glock 17 and 26 when I was
deciding which 9mm to purchase. The 17 felt slightly too large in my hands and the
26 was uncomfortably small in my hands.

- Jonathan "jS"
Glock 19 | Glock 30 | Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Last edited by JonathanSQ; 09-27-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If you are looking at CCW carry...have you considered the G36? It would carry much more like a G19 and shoots like a dream. The G21 is pretty dang big for everyday carry...the G30 is a heavy brick....what are your other opinions - or are you set on a Glock?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #3

I am not dead set on getting another Glock. It is simply a preference
due to the fact I am comfortable with the ease of use, disassemble and clean.

I am open to any suggestions for other types of .45ACP handguns.
I would prefer a double action though.

- Jonathan "jS"

Old 09-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #4

If the 17 felt big, the 21 will be a monster. Even the SF version is huge. This is just based on your assessment that the 17 felt big. As far as recoil goes, you really should shoot the weapon before you purchase it. If you can't, then at least shoot some .45 polymer weapons so you know what you're getting into. I would love to get a 21 but it's just way too big for me so I'm opting for the XDm .45. I'm not endorsing Springfield over Glock as I own both and love my 17 and 22. It's just that the grip ergonomics are better for me in the .45 caliber offering of the Springfield over the Glock. S&W's M&P .45 is also a gun one especially since you can put on a smaller backstrap. I have one and it's just a bit bigger, grip wise, than my Glock 17.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Check out the 36. I got one a while back and love it. Great conceal pistol.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

+1 on the SA XDm-45.

First of all, the G19 is the absolute perfect one-gun solution to concealed carry, home security, target shooting. It has just the right balance of barrel length, mag capacity, and overall gun size. I know all this, because I have one and carried it for several years. Then I decided I wanted a .45. Well, I live in Texas, so what could I do?

I considered a 1911 for a number of reasons, not the least of which is tradition. However, it was a difficult carry and limited mag. I looked at the 45 caliber glocks. The big one was just too big to carry--a brick with a handle. The small one was just too small to control. Then I tried on a Springfield Armory XDm-45. OMG. I shot that gun better the first time than the G19 after years of practice. Carried in a Blade Tech UCH, it was noticable for the first hour or so, then I forgot I had moved from the G19.

The XDm-45 is sleeker, and it has a welcome grip safety. I've had XD's in the past, and they were very reliable--as in Never Failed to do Anything. The XDm has a bunch of upgrades that largely sound like Ad-speak to me, but the thing is way too much fun to shoot. And SA has a deal on til 11/30: Three free mags (in addition to the two with the gun) plus an extra mag holster free.

All that said, the Glock is probably the most reliable gun you'll find, but that big Glock 45 is just ugly and chunky. A big Baby Huey of guns!

I carry the XDm-45 every day, and I look forward to the range all the time.
Bill

Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would go with the G30 over the G21 if im carrying. The recoil is not bad at all just like all .45acp's. Its a little more than a 9mm but not much. You know how the .40 has that snap feel? the .45 is more of an push back then a muzzle flip. I shot a G30 yesterday and shot it better than my G23, G30 on my wish list. The G36 would work too if you dont mind compromising ammo. The G36 is only 6+1 i believe, the G30 is 9+1, and the 21 is 12+1(dont quote me on that) I do know the 30 can take the 21 mag.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Keep us updated on you decision!!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
If the 17 felt big, the 21 will be a monster. Even the SF version is huge. This is just based on your assessment that the 17 felt big. As far as recoil goes, you really should shoot the weapon before you purchase it. If you can't, then at least shoot some .45 polymer weapons so you know what you're getting into. I would love to get a 21 but it's just way too big for me so I'm opting for the XDm .45. I'm not endorsing Springfield over Glock as I own both and love my 17 and 22. It's just that the grip ergonomics are better for me in the .45 caliber offering of the Springfield over the Glock. S&W's M&P .45 is also a gun one especially since you can put on a smaller backstrap. I have one and it's just a bit bigger, grip wise, than my Glock 17.
I plan to try and shoot a few different .45ACPs this weekend at the local
range. I did the same thing before deciding on getting the Glock 19 originally.
On the same basis though their ammo is expensive as crap so I wanted to
get some ideas of what to try to focus on trying. Trying to keep the cost
down on the "trial shooting".

Based on your comment I am going to probably skip looking at the 21.
I just didn't feel like I had a firm grip / good control over the 17 when I tried it.
I liked the XD 9mm compact so I will have to try out the XDm .45ACP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
+1 on the SA XDm-45.

First of all, the G19 is the absolute perfect one-gun solution to concealed carry, home security, target shooting. It has just the right balance of barrel length, mag capacity, and overall gun size. I know all this, because I have one and carried it for several years. Then I decided I wanted a .45. Well, I live in Texas, so what could I do?

I considered a 1911 for a number of reasons, not the least of which is tradition. However, it was a difficult carry and limited mag. I looked at the 45 caliber glocks. The big one was just too big to carry--a brick with a handle. The small one was just too small to control. Then I tried on a Springfield Armory XDm-45. OMG. I shot that gun better the first time than the G19 after years of practice. Carried in a Blade Tech UCH, it was noticable for the first hour or so, then I forgot I had moved from the G19.

The XDm-45 is sleeker, and it has a welcome grip safety. I've had XD's in the past, and they were very reliable--as in Never Failed to do Anything. The XDm has a bunch of upgrades that largely sound like Ad-speak to me, but the thing is way too much fun to shoot. And SA has a deal on til 11/30: Three free mags (in addition to the two with the gun) plus an extra mag holster free.

All that said, the Glock is probably the most reliable gun you'll find, but that big Glock 45 is just ugly and chunky. A big Baby Huey of guns!

I carry the XDm-45 every day, and I look forward to the range all the time.
Bill
SA? Not familiar with them so if you can point me in their direction
that would be most helpful Also how ease is the XDm to disassemble
and clean compared to the Glock? Ditto for making upgrades if I choose to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23 View Post
I would go with the G30 over the G21 if im carrying. The recoil is not bad at all just like all .45acp's. Its a little more than a 9mm but not much. You know how the .40 has that snap feel? the .45 is more of an push back then a muzzle flip. I shot a G30 yesterday and shot it better than my G23, G30 on my wish list. The G36 would work too if you dont mind compromising ammo. The G36 is only 6+1 i believe, the G30 is 9+1, and the 21 is 12+1(dont quote me on that) I do know the 30 can take the 21 mag.
That doesn't sound too bad. My biggest concern is how well I'll be able
to handle the recoil if it is in a smaller package, as I know larger frames
equal less perceived recoil felt. That being said, I did go shooting with my
roommate's dad and his CZ .40 (compact frame, I believe) didn't feel any
different then shooting my G19. Slightly more of a "snap" but as far as
any feelings of not being able to control the recoil, etc.-- it was same as my G19.

Ultimately I will probably carry my G19 and the main reason for looking into
getting a .45ACP is because I enjoy camping all over the Southeast and
just want to know I have the stopping power if absolutely needed.

I'll keep everybody updated as I narrow down the list, etc.
Probably won't be purchasing anything til end of next month or so
but I'll post an update after a trip to the range.

Thank you everybody for your responses

- Jonathan "jS"

Old 09-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

SA=Springfield Armory. If you looked at an XD, then you know SA. The XDm is their new line with match grade barrel, short reset trigger, improved grip and slide texturing, and some other stuff.

However, if the G17 and G21 grips were too big, the Springfield Armory XDm-45 probably will be too, although the XDm comes with three interchangeable backstraps, allowing some adjustment in grip size.

If grip size is an issue, you might want to look at a 1911. Colt, Kimber, Sig, SA, Ruger, S&W, Taurus... They all have at least one 1911, some in less than full size. You might also look into other single-stack .45's, although I can't think of one right now. If this is not for concealed carry, I would be inclined to pass on the compact models, though.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.