You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Ultrasonic cleaner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Ultrasonic cleaner.

Can you put a glock frame in an ultrasonic cleaner using a mixture of simple green and water?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 15498 Times on 6464 Posts
Likes Given: 2514

first- welcome to the forum! When you get a minute, stop by the Introductions thread and say howdy-

Second- yes- but nothing with ammonia in it.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

Liked 256 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 618

I haven't done it but I have used one to clean disassembled pistol parts with no problem. I disassembled my pistol so I could remove the solution an thoroughly dry the parts before reassembly. I also use sonic cleaning for case cleaning before reloading.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #4

Liked 6919 Times on 3415 Posts
Likes Given: 2149

I've never used an untrasonic cleaner for guns, but with the stuff I have cleaned in one I wouldn't hesitate to put my guns in one.
The ultrasonic cleaner just uses vibrations to break gunk free, nothing there is going to hurt your guns.
The solution you put in the parts cleaner, coupled with the temperature you set it at would be the areas for concern.
I don't think mine (my work) gets that hot either....

On the flip side, my firearms instructor swears by throwing his glock in the dishwasher....

Galatians 5:22-23

Old 09-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
I've never used an untrasonic cleaner for guns, but with the stuff I have cleaned in one I wouldn't hesitate to put my guns in one.
The ultrasonic cleaner just uses vibrations to break gunk free, nothing there is going to hurt your guns.
The solution you put in the parts cleaner, coupled with the temperature you set it at would be the areas for concern.
I don't think mine (my work) gets that hot either....

On the flip side, my firearms instructor swears by throwing his glock in the dishwasher....
Not quite true. As posted in another firearms forum, the solution used for brass cases WILL remove blueing from steel parts. There are solutions for steel and other parts which are safe, but NOT the ones used for cleaning brass.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #6

Liked 6919 Times on 3415 Posts
Likes Given: 2149

Like I said, the solution you use would be the area for concern....

Galatians 5:22-23

Old 09-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #7

Liked 6330 Times on 4167 Posts
Likes Given: 3245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmoney View Post
Can you put a glock frame in an ultrasonic cleaner using a mixture of simple green and water?
Yes, you can. There is nothing on the Glock vulnerable to this organic household cleaner.

The only concern is the sight paint. Whether it might also dull the fiber optics, I don't know, and would not try until I do.

I stick to the designated ultrasonic fluid for Parts (not shell cases!) It is inexpensive and effective enough to make all experimenting moot.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Liked 3449 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 508

I use my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner with a mild/low concentration of Simple Green with all manner of things, including entire firearms (detail stripped.) Does nicely with (disassembled) bolt carrier groups as well. With a q-tip and a wipe down you can get them factory new looking. For your Glock. Yeah, frame no problem. Slide too if you detail strip it so any water/crud trapped inside can be blown out, wiped & so forth.
Have not had any adverse effects with finishes (stainless & Ceracote) or night sights. I use about a tablespoon or two of simple green, a little goes a long way.
FWIW, I've heard tell of people running disassemble Glocks through the dishwasher without any harm.
Note: not a recommendation, just an anecdote.
An ultrasonic cleaner w/simple green has got to be less harsh than that.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
Shopfox Likes This 
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 AM   #9

Liked 336 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I use my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner with a mild/low concentration of Simple Green with all manner of things, including entire firearms (detail stripped.) Does nicely with (disassembled) bolt carrier groups as well. With a q-tip and a wipe down you can get them factory new looking. For your Glock. Yeah, frame no problem. Slide too if you detail strip it so any water/crud trapped inside can be blown out, wiped & so forth.
Have not had any adverse effects with finishes (stainless & Ceracote) or night sights. I use about a tablespoon or two of simple green, a little goes a long way.
FWIW, I've heard tell of people running disassemble Glocks through the dishwasher without any harm.
Note: not a recommendation, just an anecdote.
An ultrasonic cleaner w/simple green has got to be less harsh than that.
Not trying to resurrect the dead. This thread is still warm...

I'm looking at either buying the HF ultrasonic cleaner new, or buying a more expensive model used on eBay. I don't plan to put a ton of hours on it. Do you still like your HF cleaner?

Old 01-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #10

Liked 3449 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopfox View Post
Not trying to resurrect the dead. This thread is still warm...

I'm looking at either buying the HF ultrasonic cleaner new, or buying a more expensive model used on eBay. I don't plan to put a ton of hours on it. Do you still like your HF cleaner?
No complaints.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand