Trying to Understand Glock - Page 14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Trying to Understand Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Actually, getting a Glock through a properly tuned security metal detector is a myth started by the media. This was proven by Glock themselves back when this mis-information was first published, but the myth still circulates. There is ample steel in a Glock to set off a detector. However, there have been numerous incidents of individuals with a concealed carry permit getting their handguns through the metal detectors that were not tuned properly. This actually happened to an associate of mine that was carrying a S&W 357 revolver. He was sitting in the waiting area for the plane when he remembered he still had his gun. He went back to security and informed them of the mistake, after which he was treated with the greatest of respect as security didn't want to to get out. They even gave him a ride to his car so he could leave his gun there.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #132

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I think the question was why a Glock? As I stated the reliability factor can not be argued. But one other important point, Glock was the first! Until the genius of Gaston Glock, we had no striker fired handguns.
Borchard - 1893. Steyr 1907. And, you really owe it to yourself to look at the Browning 1910.

Yes, Gaston = "Genius." Apparently, everyone else is just a "gun designer."

Glock lever action rifle? No.
Glock automatic machine gun? No.
Glock semi-auto shotgun? No.
Glock over/under shotgun? No.
Glock anti-aircraft gun? No.

One trick pony? Yes.

Other than the one trick pony - the others were done by a gun designer...

Quote:
No Walthers, Smiths, Springfields, HK's, etc, etc. Say what you will, but the Glock changed the direction of modern handguns forever and for the better. Does than mean someone cannot improve on the design, make a better grip, trigger, etc.? No it doesn't, but give Glock it's due.
Sure..first you make the Gen1, then the Gen 2, then the Gen3, then the Gen 4 and before long, you're up to Gen 25 of "Perfection."

Quote:
As for the Walther PPQ, I think it's an excellent handgun with a better out of the box trigger than a Glock and I like the grip. I also think the Walther PPS is the best all round compact handgun for concealed carry, but both of these fine striker fired handguns owe their beginnings to Glock.
Next you'll being trying to convince everyone that Glock made the first polymer gun...

Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #133

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Come on people no

image-621261472.jpg

drinking. Or

image-2830988496.jpg

confrontation. All guns are great designs as long as they work!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #134
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Google "HK VP-70" and see that the striker fired, polymer framed pistol is a GERMAN idea, not some wanna-be Hitler Jugend Austrian. They beat Gaston by 12 years. Look up Remington Nylon 66 and see that polymer frames in firearms goes back to the 50's in the USA!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #135
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post

Sure..first you make the Gen1, then the Gen 2, then the Gen3, then the Gen 4 and before long, you're up to Gen 25 of "Perfection."
Sounds a lot like Apple's OS-X version 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 ad nauseum. Glock didn't even invent the business model. Steve Jobs did. <grin>

My personal preference in an auto-loader is for an external hammer manual safety or de-cocker type system. To me they add another level of safety. Of course, I'm an old warhorse that learned on the revolver and Browning designed auto-loaders.

I don't have anything against my one Glock, but I don't plan on buying another. There's no special reason for this decision, I just don't.

My Glock 27 fills a hole in my collection of carry weapons that was not met by any of my other carry choices. It's an adequate caliber, the trigger doesn't slice my finger, the capacity is good, replacement parts are easy to find, and the overall feel is decent.

One downside is that when it is loaded in a ready to use condition it is not as safe as a revolver or a Browning design auto-loader. Yes, this is my opinion, but I think the fact that the term Glock Leg even exists supports this opinion.

Another downside relates to the size of the pistol. This is not Glock's fault. I have yet to find a comfortable holster that helps to conceal the weapon and protect the trigger while allowing me to get a full grip on the pistol while drawing. With the holsters I've tried, if the trigger is protected there is some interference with the grip. That makes it necessary to modify my grip after the weapon leaves the holster. Not good.

All in all, it's a good gun, and I plan to keep it. It's not perfect by a long shot, but neither are any of my other guns. If even one of them was, I wouldn't have needed the Glock. Of course the intro of the S&W Shield in .40 S&W may change my mind. I have yet to see one, but with it's slimmer profile it could be the way to go for a carry gun in an adequate caliber.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #136

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
I think the question was why a Glock? As I stated the reliability factor can not be argued. But one other important point, Glock was the first! Until the genius of Gaston Glock, we had no striker fired handguns. No Walthers, Smiths, Springfields, HK's, etc, etc. Say what you will, but the Glock changed the direction of modern handguns forever and for the better. Does than mean someone cannot improve on the design, make a better grip, trigger, etc.? No it doesn't, but give Glock it's due.

As for the Walther PPQ, I think it's an excellent handgun with a better out of the box trigger than a Glock and I like the grip. I also think the Walther PPS is the best all round compact handgun for concealed carry, but both of these fine striker fired handguns owe their beginnings to Glock.
OK, the point here seems to be that Glock was the first to combined several old & new features into a reliable & viable product. Most of the recent similar offerings are basically like putting curtains on the barn.
Quote:
Borchard - 1893. Steyr 1907. And, you really owe it to yourself to look at the Browning 1910.

Yes, Gaston = "Genius." Apparently, everyone else is just a "gun designer."

Glock lever action rifle? No.
Glock automatic machine gun? No.
Glock semi-auto shotgun? No.
Glock over/under shotgun? No.
Glock anti-aircraft gun? No.

One trick pony? Yes.

Other than the one trick pony - the others were done by a gun designer...
Wow. Where are you going here? Did you ask about a lever action rifle, shotgun or anti-aircraft gun??? If your whole point was to whip up a froth in the Glock forum, it looks like your work is done.
You already knew most or all of the reasons people like & buy Glocks; was there really ever a point at which you could have been talked into becoming a Glock groupie? Since you seem to be disinclined to ever actually buy one, shouldn't you maybe investigate other options?

Quote:

Next you'll being trying to convince everyone that Glock made the first polymer gun...
More of the same. Bait the hook, cast, ready the sledge hammer in case there's a nibble...