Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Trying to Understand Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK - if I buy the most popular Glock - G19, is there any consensus on what needs/should be replaced for optimum performance

3.5 trigger is all you really need, everything else is just bling. But if bling is what your after the sky is the limit for after market parts for the 19.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #102

Liked 1977 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 424

The only think I really have done was put night sights on my 19. My 17 still wears stock sights, but it has an extended slide catch, and mag release I also cut my own skateboard tape for the 17, it is more my range and comp gun, while my 19 is my carry gun. I also use the 17 more to try stuff on.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #103

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
OK - if I buy the most popular Glock - G19, is there any consensus on what needs/should be replaced for optimum performance ? From reading a few threads, this is what Ive gathered are the top 3:

The plastic sights
SS guide rod w spring
trigger job - 3.5 lb seems popular

Some add extended slide release and various grip enhancements but all of this is personal preference. Robar will rework the pistol to your hearts content but it comes w a hefty price tag as well. What really adds value to your purchase ? A member said he bought a Glock w $600 into it - was it worth it ?

If you have a brand/vendor preference, please let me know.

Add what you need not what is popular. As for inside, change only the trigger connector and springs if needed leave the rest alone.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #104
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
I have shot Glocks over a number of years, but never owned one. I'm trying to understand the fascination (cult following?) with Glocks as I just don't seem to "get it."

Without resorting to the following hackneyed explanations, can anyone give me a reason or number of reasons people are so invested in Glocks when compared to SIG's, HK's, M&Ps, XDm's, etc?

I don't care to hear any of the following "reasons" - as they're not reasons they're self justifications.

1. "It goes bang everytime I pull the trigger." - totally unremarkable - all of my guns do that without fail.

2. "My Glock only costs $xxx." - don't care, cost for me is not a make or break .

3. "Lots of after market parts." - fine if you want to customize - I'm interested in a bone stock carry gun.

4. "Holds xx number of rounds." - yeah, lots of pistols hold the same amount.

5. "Choice of many police forces." - can point at a number of manufacturers and say the same thing as well as armed forces - e.g. - SEALS use SIGS, etc.

Now, can someone help me understand their fascination with Glocks without resorting to the trite one-liners?

Let me say that I appreciate the robust design and inexpensive throw away level price - but beyond that...??
Umm, because it puts the bullet where I'm aiming it? With the exception of my S&W Mod 66 with the hand made custom fit grips, it's the first handgun I
have found that doesn't shoot low left, and it did it right out of the box.

I have strange hands. My finger/palm size ratio makes it almost impossible to find a gun that hits where I want it to without some major compensation or sight adjustment. The Glock did it right out of the box with a nice tight group to boot.

Yes, that probably means the Glock is the oddball, but as long as it works for me, I don't care.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #105

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Simplicity... I personally dont want to deal with ANY safety in the event I have to draw and or use my gun = GLOCK.

You said you dont want $ mentioned. Well I have too.. lol There are guys like Hickok45 Nutnfancy Humans4targets and so on that have Sigs, HKs, Berettas, 1911s and everything under the sun. When you have the reliability of a Sig, the accuracy of an HK, for the price of a S&W, you now have a Glock....

Old 06-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #106

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez
Well, I can see this has degenerated into a lot of projection, speculation etc. I didn't mention a 1911 at any time. That was inserted as a total projection by someone who feels the need to turn this into another 1911 vs Glock thread. Or, feels the need to ridicule 1911's or 1911 proponents.

If you'd like me to address 1911's - I've owned a Detonics Combat Master since 1983, and am finding it too heavy at this point - it's a real chunk of stainless steel + bullets = heavy. And yes, I carry it in a really good holster + custom gunbelt. I also have a Springfield EMP, and while I like the size, I'd like something with more capacity in close to the same size.

I'm honestly just trying to understand the "enthusiast" attitude of people who seem to think Glock is the be-all and end-all in pistols - as opposed to the other pistols I've mentioned.

As for price, the XDm and M&P's are competitive with Glock and function equally as well. You have to understand that in 1911's I also don't buy into "Colt - because it's the original" mindset either as a legitimate reason for buying a specific 1911 manufacturer for other than pure collecting purposes.

As for CZ's - I find them an interesting alternative, but I've never seen one or shot one. No gun dealers where I live stock them and I'm hesitant to order one sight unseen as I'd have NO idea what to order, whether I'd like the form factor, trigger, contols, etc.

Thanks for the useful responses - as for the other responses.....not so much. I'll ask a friend to try out his Glocks again...but, I'm still inclined (at this point) towards the M&P compact after going and handling the H&K one more time.
Cause Glocks kick @SS!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #107
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
Exactly. 1911 are great but if you spend alot of time in a vehicle they are not very comfortable. I have a pretty good assortment of handguns and carry a XD-9 sub compact and prior to that a CZ-P07 9 MM. Alot of people get hung up on the caliber of the round being fired but in the end its accuracy that matters most. All this being said, carry what you find most comfortable and reliable but the simple fact is, and history proves it, there isn't a simpler more reliable weapon than a Glock.
Let me take one statement in your post and address it.

>>>Alot of people get hung up on the caliber of the round being fired but in the end its accuracy that matters most.

In the self-defense arena accuracy is a three dimensional concept. Caliber does matter. You not only have to place the round far enough up the face of the target, and as close to the center-line as you can, you have to get it deep enough into the target for it to do some good. Accuracy on your part does not guarantee the third requirement of shot placement will be met.

When it comes to accuracy in the paper puncher world the great majority of firearms and calibers are much more accurate than most shooters will ever be.

Will a .44 magnum do you any good if you miss? Probably not. Will a .22 short center mass do you any good against layered winter clothing? Probably not. Which one is more likely to make your target retreat?

Old 06-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #108

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 303

I don't see the big deal...I want a glock AND a 1911

Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #109

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

Let me take one statement in your post and address it.

>>>Alot of people get hung up on the caliber of the round being fired but in the end its accuracy that matters most.

In the self-defense arena accuracy is a three dimensional concept. Caliber does matter. You not only have to place the round far enough up the face of the target, and as close to the center-line as you can, you have to get it deep enough into the target for it to do some good. Accuracy on your part does not guarantee the third requirement of shot placement will be met.

When it comes to accuracy in the paper puncher world the great majority of firearms and calibers are much more accurate than most shooters will ever be.

Will a .44 magnum do you any good if you miss? Probably not. Will a .22 short center mass do you any good against layered winter clothing? Probably not. Which one is more likely to make your target retreat?
While I understand what your are saying, the first and most important principle of shooting is hitting what you are shooting at. What's the point in carrying a 357 when you can't hit anything with it?

Old 06-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #110

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

It's really simple the Glocks popularity. They are easy to work on and/or clean. They have almost legendary history at yo their ability to operate. it's pretty much the AK47 of pistols. Many will tout the lower bore axis saying felt recoil is less.

I personally do not like them. I think they are but ugly so for me it's like the not so pretty girl in a bar at 2AM. Sure she'll get the job done but I wouldn't want my friends to see me with her. But you just can not deny the Glock and their performance record. And no one can beat their marketing. Getting them into the hands of so many LEO sure didn't hurt them any.

I guess there's a reason for so many different types of handguns out there. Because we all have our own definition of what makes a good pistol. I've owned a few Glocks but just didn't like them enough to want to keep them. But I can honestly say that I can't remember any of them not working at any time.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson