Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Trimming a leather holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Trimming a leather holster

I have a leather paddle holster for a sig 228 but don't own the sig anymore. I put my Glock 19 in it and it fits. A little tight but it fits. I need to trim the holster a little by the grip so I can get a better grip on the gun. Do I need to do anything to the holster after I trim it to cure where I cut it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2014, 05:00 AM   #2

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

You need to check with TexasWoodworker on this forum. He knows about making holsters.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 AM   #3

Will do, thanks

Old 01-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Is the holster natural or stained? If it's stained, then the natural leather will be showing through once it's trimmed. You'll want to dye that somehow. Leather dye works, but you'd be buying a lot just to use a little. A Sharpie of the right color might also work, and would be cheaper. It may need periodic touch ups, but that would be easy enough to do.

Do you have a pic?

A good exacto knife and a steady hand are all you need to trim it. Put something hard between the two layers of leather so you don't also cut the bottom layer.

As for the fitting, I've got a solution for you. When I make a holster like that, the gun fits in so tight, it has a tendency to rack the slide slightly. What I do is soak the leather in warm water for a few minutes, wrap the well oiled gun in cling wrap (a few layers), and put into in the wet holster. I then shape the leather on the front of the holster around the gun by hand. After that, I'll leave the holster and gun sitting on a flat surface (facing up) for about 30 min to an hour. Then I'll remove the gun and leave the holster alone to dry overnight. (might take longer).

The gun should fit snuggly into the holster, without being overly tight.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 01-22-2014 at 05:38 AM.
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 01-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #5

Thank you Texas Woodworker. This is a black Desantis holster and I really want to use it as I love this holsterimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1390376583.902608.jpg here is a pic. I will try this out this weekend as I'm working 12 hour shifts the next 2 days. Thank you for your help.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog114 View Post
Thank you Texas Woodworker. This is a black Desantis holster and I really want to use it as I love this holsterAttachment 133739 here is a pic. I will try this out this weekend as I'm working 12 hour shifts the next 2 days. Thank you for your help.
Yep. Just an exacto knife and a black Sharpie will be all you need. Glad I could help.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Is the holster natural or stained? If it's stained, then the natural leather will be showing through once it's trimmed. You'll want to dye that somehow. Leather dye works, but you'd be buying a lot just to use a little. A Sharpie of the right color might also work, and would be cheaper. It may need periodic touch ups, but that would be easy enough to do.

Do you have a pic?

A good exacto knife and a steady hand are all you need to trim it. Put something hard between the two layers of leather so you don't also cut the bottom layer.

As for the fitting, I've got a solution for you. When I make a holster like that, the gun fits in so tight, it has a tendency to rack the slide slightly. What I do is soak the leather in warm water for a few minutes, wrap the well oiled gun in cling wrap (a few layers), and put into in the wet holster. I then shape the leather on the front of the holster around the gun by hand. After that, I'll leave the holster and gun sitting on a flat surface (facing up) for about 30 min to an hour. Then I'll remove the gun and leave the holster alone to dry overnight. (might take longer).

The gun should fit snuggly into the holster, without being overly tight.
Nail hit on head

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-23-2014, 01:13 AM   #8

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Texaswoody, is our go to man on holster making.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #9

It's good to have someone like him on here. He sure knows his stuff.