Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Trimming a leather holster (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/trimming-leather-holster-103111/)

birddog114 01-22-2014 04:40 AM

Trimming a leather holster

I have a leather paddle holster for a sig 228 but don't own the sig anymore. I put my Glock 19 in it and it fits. A little tight but it fits. I need to trim the holster a little by the grip so I can get a better grip on the gun. Do I need to do anything to the holster after I trim it to cure where I cut it?

nitestalker 01-22-2014 05:00 AM

You need to check with TexasWoodworker on this forum. He knows about making holsters. :)

birddog114 01-22-2014 05:13 AM

Will do, thanks

texaswoodworker 01-22-2014 05:35 AM

Is the holster natural or stained? If it's stained, then the natural leather will be showing through once it's trimmed. You'll want to dye that somehow. Leather dye works, but you'd be buying a lot just to use a little. A Sharpie of the right color might also work, and would be cheaper. It may need periodic touch ups, but that would be easy enough to do.

Do you have a pic?

A good exacto knife and a steady hand are all you need to trim it. Put something hard between the two layers of leather so you don't also cut the bottom layer.

As for the fitting, I've got a solution for you. When I make a holster like that, the gun fits in so tight, it has a tendency to rack the slide slightly. What I do is soak the leather in warm water for a few minutes, wrap the well oiled gun in cling wrap (a few layers), and put into in the wet holster. I then shape the leather on the front of the holster around the gun by hand. After that, I'll leave the holster and gun sitting on a flat surface (facing up) for about 30 min to an hour. Then I'll remove the gun and leave the holster alone to dry overnight. (might take longer).

The gun should fit snuggly into the holster, without being overly tight.

birddog114 01-22-2014 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Texas Woodworker. This is a black Desantis holster and I really want to use it as I love this holsterAttachment 133739 here is a pic. I will try this out this weekend as I'm working 12 hour shifts the next 2 days. Thank you for your help.

texaswoodworker 01-22-2014 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birddog114 (Post 1488604)
Thank you Texas Woodworker. This is a black Desantis holster and I really want to use it as I love this holsterAttachment 133739 here is a pic. I will try this out this weekend as I'm working 12 hour shifts the next 2 days. Thank you for your help.

Yep. Just an exacto knife and a black Sharpie will be all you need. Glad I could help. :)

HOSSFLY 01-22-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1488592)
Is the holster natural or stained? If it's stained, then the natural leather will be showing through once it's trimmed. You'll want to dye that somehow. Leather dye works, but you'd be buying a lot just to use a little. A Sharpie of the right color might also work, and would be cheaper. It may need periodic touch ups, but that would be easy enough to do.

Do you have a pic?

A good exacto knife and a steady hand are all you need to trim it. Put something hard between the two layers of leather so you don't also cut the bottom layer.

As for the fitting, I've got a solution for you. When I make a holster like that, the gun fits in so tight, it has a tendency to rack the slide slightly. What I do is soak the leather in warm water for a few minutes, wrap the well oiled gun in cling wrap (a few layers), and put into in the wet holster. I then shape the leather on the front of the holster around the gun by hand. After that, I'll leave the holster and gun sitting on a flat surface (facing up) for about 30 min to an hour. Then I'll remove the gun and leave the holster alone to dry overnight. (might take longer).

The gun should fit snuggly into the holster, without being overly tight.

Nail hit on head :)

nitestalker 01-23-2014 01:13 AM

Texaswoody, is our go to man on holster making.:)

birddog114 01-23-2014 10:17 AM

It's good to have someone like him on here. He sure knows his stuff.