Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Trigger Reset on Glock 17

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default Trigger Reset on Glock 17

I bought a G17 primarily for shooting IDPA and competition. It is the first Glock for me, and I admittedly know very little about the platform.

I am predominantly a Sig guy and have a half dozen Sig pistols all with the SRT trigger. Also shoot some with my M&P with the Apex trigger kit. All have pretty good triggers and short resets.

In the last couple of IDPA matches I have shot, twice during a string of rapid fire, I apparently didn't let off on the trigger quite enough, unable to "feel" it didn't reset. I glanced at the slide saw it was in full battery, squeezed again, still no fire and as I removed my finger from the guard to rack the slide, felt the reset, reacquired the target and bang.

The only modification I have made to this G17 Gen4 is replacing the "." connector with the "-" connector. Not sure how I might improve the trigger to get a more positive reset (different connector, spring, trigger kit)?

It shoots fine and I have no problem or major complaint about the platform, but in a rapid fire scenario I have don't seem to be able to feel the reset.

Thanks for any advice!

Virginia58

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
~John Wooden

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure If the connector affects reset. But I know that the ones with a lighter pull are normally more mushy and long where the heavier ones are shorter and break clean. I would put it back and see if that's helps.

I'm not familiar with the rules in idpa as far as mods go, but I use a trigger made by glockworx for uspsa and it is a very positive reset.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1336 Times on 927 Posts
Likes Given: 655

It happened to me. One range session with a "competition" trigger package, and the next day I returned the kit. My 17 is all stock, sights included.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #4

Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

I noticed that when I made my wife X mas present purchase because they had the 17 waiting there for me along with the 34 . The competition trigger in the 34 was a little bit lighter but it did in fact have a mushier feel to it . Not near as clean brake as the standard 17 trigger which was heavier pull . If she decides she doesnt like this one. I will probably purchase the standard trigger . I dont mind the heavier weight pull but I like the clean brake better

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

This may be what you're looking for.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

http://www.glock.com/english/options_triggerspring.htm

Old 11-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the best thing to try first is reinstalling the standard "." trigger. Perhaps, the mushiness will be reduced enough without increasing the trigger weight considerably.

The SRT trigger on the Sigs is between 4-4.5 lbs and works well. Thousands of rounds and never once a lack of positive reset resulting in a failure to go bang. That first 10 lb DA press is the thing that pushed me to the G17, and I really want to like it.

The basic enhancements made have all been stock parts, extended mag release, extended slide release, "-" connector. Putting the original connector back in, and perhaps some light polishing to smooth it out may get me where I want with it.

I like the looks of the Travis Haley Skimmer trigger kit, but $150 is a little steep.

Virginia58

~John Wooden

Old 01-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

After another couple of months and a thousand rounds through the Gen4 17, I am more used to the platform and my shooting speed and accuracy has improved and I understand a little better the interaction of parts in the Glock.

I put the original "." connector back in, and liked the break and reset feel better than the "-" connector. A friend who uses the NY 1 trigger spring in his Glocks, let me install one for a range trip, and after a 100 rounds, I can say that it is to heavy for my liking.

My son has a Gen4 19, and he's tried a number of connector, spring combinations. His best results have come from the standard trigger spring, the 5.5lb connector, and Flitz polishing of the connector and contact points. It may be just the 19, but his reset is short, very defined both tactile and audible. There is minimal take up or "mush" on the trigger press and the break is very crisp, as close to 1911 class as I suspect the Glock trigger can get.

I have now ordered a 5.5lb connector (should arrive today). After 1200-1500 rounds through the 17, I will also try lightly polishing all the contact surfaces where wear should be showing.

Apparently, there is no one in my area of Central VA that sells Flitz polishing compound. Is there a comparable product that will work with a Dremel pad to accomplish the same thing?

Also, if anyone has found the magic combination of springs, connectors, etc. to accomplish the "perfect" G17 trigger pull/reset, your suggestions are welcome.

Virginia58

~John Wooden

Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Any polishing compound will work but you are voiding your warranty.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1336 Times on 927 Posts
Likes Given: 655

Glocks get smoother the more you shoot them. Both Glocks I own now, but especially the G26 I sold to a buddy. I wasn't happy with my ability to shoot it. He has had at least 2500 rounds through it. Now when I borrow it, I shoot it way better. Would not have sold it today, the way it is. So here is a non-invasive upgrade plan - shoot it more.