Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Tough to fill new magazine to top--Problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Tough to fill new magazine to top--Problem?

I've got my new Glock 19. Love it. 100 rounds through it, which makes only 125 rounds I've ever fired. I'm a newbie and I 'd like any help offered.

My mag holds 15 rounds. I can definitely get those 15 rounds into the mag, but the last 1 or 2 are awfully tough to pack. Will this become easier over time? Does it cause any problems getting that first round to chamber?

BTW, just got my Insight M3X tactical light in the mail today...fun! My GunVault 1000-DLX should be coming soon. Then I'll feel a bit more comfortable leaving one in the pipe right next to my bed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If it gets much easier over time it means your spring is taking a "set", and that's not necessarily a good thing. If it becomes too weak, the last rounds may not feed properly. There are two schools of thought on leaving mags loaded, and the devisiveness is almost as strong as the AR vs. AK debate...I am of the opinion that leaving a spring compressed increases the likelihood that it will fail eventually. But, to each his own...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #3

Default Mags shouldn't be always loaded? Huh?

Thanks for your answer. It does make sense that, if the spring becomes easy, then THAT would be a problem, not the other way around. Good.

The other thing you said boggles me. If the only way to stay armed is to keep a (or multiple) magazine(s) full and ready, are you saying that one should own many more magazines than needed at any one time and rotate them?

My first instructor taught that if one uses the same magazine each day, with the same round loaded first each day, then that first round will eventually misfire (because of the minuscule but additive damage done to a round upon chambering). So I am already keeping track of rotating the first round.

Should I also buy 2 or more extra mags to keep rotating them? I'm cheap so I haven't bought more than the 2 my Glock came with. I'm thinking 30 rounds should be sufficient in ANY problem little 'ol me might encounter.

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I always unload my mags at the end of a day of carrying. I have had the same mags in service for over 15 years doing this with no noticeable change in spring tension. Rotating the first round sounds like a good idea, but if it doesn't appear to be damaged and it chambers, I don't see a problem, since once it is in the chamber it will fire unless the primer has been damaged somehow. At home I rely on a HiPoint .40 carbine for home defense, so I don't need a loaded handgun laying around, and my mags springs therfore are not being stressed for the guns I may actually depend on to save my life. Wolf makes replacement springs for almost every gun made, so it may not be a concern for some. Many people buy spare mags to supplement their factory mags - I have never had a need for more than two mags for my handguns, and I don't carry spares when I carry, but again, to each his own. I live in a rural setting. If I lived in NYC and had permission to carry there, I would probably carry a bandoleer also. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't foresee a need to have more than 7 to 10 rounds - if I do, I have made a more serious mistake of being where I shouldn't be...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-27-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

Default Final update

I don't unload my mags every day. But after a couple of months, my mags don't have that tight problem anymore. It must just be a very tight spring that loosens a bit in time.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know this is a little late to be chiming in, but here goes.

I also own a G19. My two 15-rd mags that came with the gun still load as 'crisply' as the day I got the gun. I've probably put close to 3,500 - 4,000 rounds through mine, and i see no change in spring tension.

Just for kicks and grins I bought four 17-rd mags with a +2 extension (G17 mags, Scherer +2 extensions) and I also have seen no change in spring tension on those. I normally keep my 19 rounders loaded with FMJ and use them at the range, and my 15 rounders loaded with JHP for home defense duty.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #7

I have a different pistol entirely BUT I have 3 magazines, and every once in a while my gun jams. So I marked the mags and sure enough its just one of them, the oldest one, the one that the previous owner kept loaded all the time, THAT one causes all kinds of chaos. I thought I needed a new gun, nope just a new mag.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I have a different pistol entirely BUT I have 3 magazines, and every once in a while my gun jams. So I marked the mags and sure enough its just one of them, the oldest one, the one that the previous owner kept loaded all the time, THAT one causes all kinds of chaos. I thought I needed a new gun, nope just a new mag.
Is this pistol a Glock?

And by oldest, are we talking weeks, months, decades?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #9

I always keep a loaded magazine with my pistol, but I never fully load it and I swap it out regularly.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I guess I'm lucky?/unlucky? not to be permitted to keep mags loaded when off the range