Solvents on Plated Parts?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Solvents on Plated Parts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Solvents on Plated Parts?

Just got through reading "The Glock In Competition" and in the chapter on cleaning, it says don't use solvents that will peel the nickel plating off of the connector, trigger draw bar or other plated parts. The book does name GunScrubber as a culprit, but does this include Hoppes? I've read labels today on several solvents in the local shop and not one mentions it may be harmful to nickel plated parts. How is one to know? I've been using Hoppes to quickly clean up the muck on the barrel and everything else, and then use Break Free. Hoppes okay? Also, I only use WWB. Do I need to use Hoppes for copper?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Most plated parts, especially nickel plated, use a copper "base" for the plating to adhere to. Any solvent that is used to remove copper fouling or deposits from bullet jackets will attack ANY copper, they don't differentiate. I have seen very a valuable plated 1911 ruined (not functionally, just cosmetically and value wise) because the owner found this out the hard way.