So I Got My First Glock
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > So I Got My First Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default So I Got My First Glock

First of all let me say, I never was a big fan of a plastic handguns. Never saw anything wrong with them, folks swore by them, but I just preferred the old faithful 1911A1, or revolvers. How could it get better than that?

So, I got a 2gen Glock 22 from my dad. This glock was one of two that he had bought new in the mid 90's while still in LE. This particular one was mfg in 96', he put only a few hundred rounds thru it at the most. Heck it looks brand new. He did put some hogue grips on and an aftrmarket springco(?) drive spring set up.

Holy crap, this is a blast to shoot, easy to take down, easy to maintain, almost idiot proof! I fired 300 rds without a jam or any type of noticable fouling issues. Pretty darn accurate too.

I just wasn't used to shooting this particular weapon. The trigger, not having an external hammer and external safety are gonna take some gettin use to.

So now I'm researching and learning all about glocks. Haven't found any issues yet with the 2gens blowing up, rail issues or any recalls. Anyone know of any? Now I gotta go find a holster ......................................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

LOL, welcome to the world of combat Tupperware. One suggestion check your slide stop lever and if it is the smooth type I would replace it with the "extended" slide stop it is well worth it especially if you shoot wearing gloves.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #3

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by markerdown View Post
First of all let me say, I never was a big fan of a plastic handguns. Never saw anything wrong with them, folks swore by them, but I just preferred the old faithful 1911A1, or revolvers. How could it get better than that?

So, I got a 2gen Glock 22 from my dad. This glock was one of two that he had bought new in the mid 90's while still in LE. This particular one was mfg in 96', he put only a few hundred rounds thru it at the most. Heck it looks brand new. He did put some hogue grips on and an aftrmarket springco(?) drive spring set up.

Holy crap, this is a blast to shoot, easy to take down, easy to maintain, almost idiot proof! I fired 300 rds without a jam or any type of noticable fouling issues. Pretty darn accurate too.

I just wasn't used to shooting this particular weapon. The trigger, not having an external hammer and external safety are gonna take some gettin use to.

So now I'm researching and learning all about glocks. Haven't found any issues yet with the 2gens blowing up, rail issues or any recalls. Anyone know of any? Now I gotta go find a holster ......................................markerdown
Oh man are you calling down the wrath of the 1911ers!

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #4

I am one of those 1911 guys!!

Nuthing wrong with have a few different handguns. Big difference between the two. I like them both.

Ehh plastic! Everyone said the same thing when the military adopted the M16.... Now look.... lots of AR fanatics. I rest my case. ...................markerdown

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 11-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. I hope that Glock runs well for you for a long time.

One thing nobody can argue with is the fact that Glocks do, in fact, run forever. They are very reliable, and very easy. They aren't the best gun out there, but they are still a good design.

I still just wish the price would go down, because I will always think that the Glock Corporate folks are over pricing just a tad....lol.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I hope that Glock runs well for you for a long time.

One thing nobody can argue with is the fact that Glocks do, in fact, run forever. They are very reliable, and very easy. They aren't the best gun out there, but they are still a good design.

I still just wish the price would go down, because I will always think that the Glock Corporate folks are over pricing just a tad....lol.
The XD's are around the same price. Actually the XD's I have seen have been a tad more pricy. Glock is around the same price as all of its competitors. I think they could all come down a bit yes, but I dont think Glock is the only ones out there with slightly overpriced firearms.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congrats on the new weapon and I'm glad you're having fun with it. I still think it has the ghey, but I'm glad you'r having fun.

Out of curiousity, did you find it hard to adjust to shooting it? Tried any point shooting yet?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

User Name posted:

Quote:
The XD's are around the same price. Actually the XD's I have seen have been a tad more pricy. Glock is around the same price as all of its competitors. I think they could all come down a bit yes, but I dont think Glock is the only ones out there with slightly overpriced firearms.
The XDs in my area are on the average of 50-80 dollars cheaper than the standard Glocks, and they offer more for the money spent. The XD is the better value for the money spent. I could get something like a Glock 17/19 for around 380 dollars, but that's with the LE/Military discount.

I'd like to see the Glocks come down just a little with their civilian pricing. If I'm going to spend 500 dollars on a sidearm, it'll be a Springfield XD, FNP pistol, or I'll just save a little more and purchase a 1911 or a SIG (M&Ps and Ruger SR9s are ok, but the triggers aren't the greatest).

Old 11-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Congrats on the new weapon and I'm glad you're having fun with it. I still think it has the ghey, but I'm glad you'r having fun.

Out of curiousity, did you find it hard to adjust to shooting it? Tried any point shooting yet?
Hell yes, it's a bit alien to me. It's not a difficult adjustment, it's a nice shooter, it just "feels different" from my 1911 and of course my revolvers. Hard to explain, try one out and you'll understand.

I can't complain, it was an early xmas gift.

Would I have bought one?, not without trying one out and I'd really have to be in the plasti-gun market to do my own honest eval /research different mfg weapons of this type before I bought one.

I have my eye on a kimber ultra ...............markerdown

Old 11-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Congrats Markerdown on your Glock 22 addition. I know we all experience that feeling to cut loose and sow some wild oats and experiment with different things.

As Sgt. Miller noted, nobody can argue the fact that they are very reliable and keep on working under extreme distress conditions and abuse.

And probably most of all, they are so easy...........

Even a Caveman can use them, enjoy brother!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”