Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Is it the sights or me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is it the sights or me?

So I've just recently bought a Glock Model 22 pistol from a sporting goods store a couple towns away. I've taken it to shoot probably three times and the only problem I've had is i can hit crap with it. For example, I was shooting at a water bottle with it today and didn't even skim it, I was then handed a 1911 and hit the bottle with the first shot. The gun was brand new in the box, and there are no returns on firearms at the store. I read that there have been some pistols coming out the factory with faulty sights. If this is the problem, can I just send it in to glock or what?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My $0.02 worth...

Try shooting a large piece of cardboard to see where you're hitting. If you're consistently grouping, then the sites may be off or you may need to adjust the sight alignment you're using. If you're not consistently it would be operator error unless the sights were moving around on you.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I seriously doubt it's the sights. The grip angle on Glocks differs from just about any other handgun so it's normal for for folks practiced on other platforms to have to concentrate as the natural POA is different.

Simple to check, have someone else shoot it and see if they have the same results...

Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #4

Nobody who I've let shoot it has been very accurate with it. I've tried a couple different ways of aiming as well. I like the cardboard idea. HOpefully it's something I can deal with myself as opposed to spending money and waiting long periods of time to get my gun back.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I seriously doubt it's the sights. The grip angle on Glocks differs from just about any other handgun so it's normal for for folks practiced on other platforms to have to concentrate as the natural POA is different.

Simple to check, have someone else shoot it and see if they have the same results...
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Is this your first Glock? I know the first time I ever shot one (a friend of mine's G23) I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Just like NGIB said, the grip angle is different than most other guns and takes some getting used to.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #6

Yup, it's my first. If it isn't the sights, and in fact something to do with the grip angle, what can I do to increase my accuracy and get the hang of it? Like I said I've shot it quite a few times, let friends shoot it, and nobody has been hitting center, most of the time no where near it.

Last edited by Old_sweetpea; 03-18-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When you first started shooting pistols did you see the same accuracy? You have to completely breakdown the fundamentals of shooting a pistol again and start over. I guaruntee that if you stop trying to apply what you learned on other pistols to the glock, and instead just start all over again with the glock you will start to see improvements. You will just need a ton of ammo and long range days. I always start one bullet at a time. Before I fire the first round take a look at your grip and hand placement, you natural sight picture, and sight alignment, then fire that round. See where it goes and then experiment to try and correct that shot, and continue to do this until you can develop a consistency that you are happy with.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 03-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #8

Liked 2230 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 2167

Glocks????? If the grip angle is so bad that you can't shoot the weapon like a normal one, why own it? Sell it and buy a 1911 at least you can hit what you shoot at with it.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a friend that shoots in competition with a Glock and 1911. When he competes during 1911 series shoots the 1911 and never touches the Glock and visa/versa for the Glock series because it it takes him time to readjust his grip angle. 6 months he shoots the Glock, 6 months the 1911.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #10

GOod point sir. Like you said take it one round at a time. I think I need to just take my time. If i get time to go to shooting here in the next couple days, I plan on trying that cardboard trick someone had previously mentioned, and just trying to make the gun work for me. Thanks for all the advice!