Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   sight question for newbie (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/sight-question-newbie-20753/)

hawkeye 12-04-2009 11:14 PM

sight question for newbie

I bought a glock 19 and I love it. Here is the question for you older shooters:
With my glasses off I have a crisp front sight and a blurry target (at 30 feet I can not see the bullet holes) or I can put the glasses on and see the target really well and the front sight is blurry. Are there solutions? Do they make something like a red dot front sight or a red dot sight attachment for pistols? I know some of you have the same problem. Either way I do it I seem to get most in the 8 in circle.

MTS840 12-05-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

With my glasses off I have a crisp front sight and a blurry target (at 30 feet I can not see the bullet holes) or I can put the glasses on and see the target really well and the front sight is blurry. Are there solutions? Do they make something like a red dot front sight or a red dot sight attachment for pistols? I know some of you have the same problem. Either way I do it I seem to get most in the 8 in circle.
Your eye can only focus on one thing at a time at different distances. Whether you wear your glasses or not, the front sight should be clear and 'crisp.' The rear sight and the target should be blurry. This is a proper "front sight picture," and this is taught in both police and in military marksmanship basics.

There are aftermarket front sights that can be installed on your G19, but this sight picture should not change.

Concentrate on the front sight.

utf59 12-05-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Whether you wear your glasses or not, the front sight should be clear and 'crisp.' The rear sight and the target should be blurry.
+1

If you train in case you have to use your handgun for defense, you might bring this up to your eye doctor on your next visit. With my glasses on, I can see the front sight clearly. And when I've shot a string of rounds, I can focus on the target clearly. I do wear bifocals.

DocSuzi 02-07-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeye (Post 194308)

Sounds like you might do better with bifocal shooting glasses. I'd suggest you consult an optometrist.

hawkeye 02-07-2010 12:41 AM

thanks guys and gals

yes, I do wear bifocals ,but the focal length must be off for my front sight. Without my glasses I can shoot well at 30 feet...not so great at 25 yards as target is really fuzzy at that distance without glasses. I could just put a laser on the glock and that would solve the problem too since I am useing the gun for target shooting.

Jpyle 02-07-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeye (Post 225816)
yes, I do wear bifocals ,but the focal length must be off for my front sight. Without my glasses I can shoot well at 30 feet...not so great at 25 yards as target is really fuzzy at that distance without glasses. I could just put a laser on the glock and that would solve the problem too since I am useing the gun for target shooting.

Talk to your optometrist about shooting glasses with bifocals adjusted for your sight picture, not reading. Ask if you can bring your Glock to his office so that he can get a precise measure of the required focal length. Another alternative are those mini bi-focal type reading glasses sold at Walgreens, CVS, etc. You may get lucky and find a pair that allow you to focus on the sights.

I have the same issue...welcome to middle age :)

canebrake 02-07-2010 12:57 AM

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...htFocus1-1.jpg

You're seeing exactly what you're supposed to see. A sharp focus on the front sight with the target blurred.

What do you want to see, the blood?

hawkeye 02-07-2010 01:04 AM

I would not mind the blood too much...but my wife has white carpeting so she would kill me :)

DocSuzi 02-07-2010 01:31 AM

I got so tired of the kind of problems you are describing that I had Lasik and it fixed all of it.

Rentacop 02-10-2010 07:53 AM

This problem differs from person to person. I had my optometrist write me a prescription just for seeing the front sight sharply. I had a pair of sports glasses made that way and they work, so far. Of course the target is fuzzier but I can live with that. I can use binoculars to score the target if need be.
For safety glasses, check out Wiley-X, Gargoyles and Oakley brands.

My everyday glasses are progressive lenses and if I shoot with those, I must tilt my head back to get the front sight into perfect focus. In a stressful situation, where there is no time to think and speed is paramount ( when re-qualifying for my job-LOL ) , I forget to tilt my head back.

If you can't see the bullet holes, switch to a .45 (LOL) or consider "Shoot 'n See Targets " from Birchwood Casey or similar ones from Caldwell.