Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > should i be concerned?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default should i be concerned?

Ok. Just got back from my first trip to the range with my new G19 Gen4. After the first shot, the gun had a FTF. The slide went back, ejected the shell, then the next round got jammed up. I then cleared the gun, tried again, and when I cocked the slide back to load one in the chamber, it happened again. I then tried being more aggressive and really snapping the slide back, then it worked. After that, it shot perfectly for 100 rounds. Is this something common with a brand new gun? Should I be concerned? Maybe it just needed breaking in?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Some guns do require a break-in period.
When chambering a round, always pull all the way back and let go, don't ride the slide forward.
Another thing that can cause a jam is "limp wristing", make sure you have a firm grip on the gun when firing.
If it still jams, try using another magazine.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Don't ride the slide on any semi auto when chambering a round. They are intended to be cycled in a manner that approximates the forces encountered during recoil.

And because it was the first round you fired, I'd guess there may have been an anticipatory "recoil assist", also known as a flinch.

You should be GTG from here on out.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

I'll bet you used "Range" amo and not good new factory amo like Federal or Remington. The cases were not fully sized and you had some bad reloads. ALWAYS use the amo you intend to use for the gun. Especially if this is a CCDW gun. If you intend to carry this with some good quality amo, like federal's hydroshock, then range fire that amo. learn how the gun handle with that amo so IF you need it you know where it is going and that it will cycle.

I have NEVER seen a factory round that a Glock would not digest. some "Range" amo is cheap crap and no wonder it would not chamber.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
I'll bet you used "Range" amo and not good new factory amo like Federal or Remington. The cases were not fully sized and you had some bad reloads. ALWAYS use the amo you intend to use for the gun. Especially if this is a CCDW gun. If you intend to carry this with some good quality amo, like federal's hydroshock, then range fire that amo. learn how the gun handle with that amo so IF you need it you know where it is going and that it will cycle.

I have NEVER seen a factory round that a Glock would not digest. some "Range" amo is cheap crap and no wonder it would not chamber.
I do agree with this in some regards, but only if you can afford it. PDA ammo can get pretty pricey , especially if you're burning it at the range on a regular basis.
[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Did you clean the gun first? I always clean new out of box. The coating the factory uses is to prevent corrosion for a long shelf life. Not what should be used for everyday maintenance.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecPro View Post
I do agree with this in some regards, but only if you can afford it. PDA ammo can get pretty pricey , especially if you're burning it at the range on a regular basis.
I too agree. That is why one should seek profession instruction. If you buy a Big Bertha and your golf swing still sucks, you would go to a golf pro for help, right? get good amo, get good help and learn how to shoot. MANY people get a gun, go to a range and think they can shoot. after all everybody on TV knows how to hit between the eyes at 40 yards, can't be that difficult. Dont waste your money on cheap amo, you will just spend more time and money trying to figure out what you are doing wrong. That being said, don't just shoot a box of 50 rounds and think you are an expert. shoot alot and shoot often. Maybe when we clean house in D.C. amo prices will level out or maybe even go down, maybe, LOL

Another point is cheap "Range" amo can be quite inconsistent on its charge. besides being a PITA when it comes to learning how to shoot your new gun, might even void your warrantee.

Besides, what cost is your or your family's life if it come down to cheap amo in your gun and not knowing if it will work or not knowing where in the hell that bullet is going.

Spend your money wisely, chances are you did on the gun. Why start being cheap now?

Last edited by WoodysKJ; 10-25-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used WWB, which I've heard is pretty decent for range ammo. I see what y'all are saying, but I just don't have the funds to shoot ammo at 1 dollar plus a round. I am not going to be carrying, so I don't need to shoot SD ammo. I will get some to try a few mags with, but thats it. I'm in it more for plinking and range use. The gun seems to be working fine now.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
Ok. Just got back from my first trip to the range with my new G19 Gen4. After the first shot, the gun had a FTF. The slide went back, ejected the shell, then the next round got jammed up. I then cleared the gun, tried again, and when I cocked the slide back to load one in the chamber, it happened again. I then tried being more aggressive and really snapping the slide back, then it worked. After that, it shot perfectly for 100 rounds. Is this something common with a brand new gun? Should I be concerned? Maybe it just needed breaking in?
Just a couple of things to consider. It is a new gun to you so your grip may have allowed your thumbs to contact the slide release or rubbed on the slide just enough to throw the timing off. You may have limp wristed it a tad or, as was stated, the factory coatings may have been a bit too gummy for out of the box use.

Give it a good cleaning, load it up with fresh ammo and have another go at it. Watch your grip and be sure to maintain a proper stance and grip as you fire, most of all enjoy your new Glock...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington