Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
With the title of the thread I regretfully expected another story of someone with a hole on their leg.
LOL! Your tripping!!!!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

Liked 215 Times on 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister

LOL! Your tripping!!!!
LOL Just thankful that wasn't the case!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister

LOL! Your tripping!!!!
Edit Double Post

Old 10-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #14

Likes Given: 1

Hand gun is a glock 19
distance 16.5
Promblem: accuracy, sight picture and alignment, I trying to use both stance and I practice once a week.

So what can be my problem?

Old 10-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #15

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

First of all, it takes literally thousands of rounds of practice to develop into a good pistol shot. So the main way to improve your shooting skills is practice, practice, practice.

But you have to practice the right techniques. The members who suggested having a shooting instructor evaluate your skill had a good idea.

I am not a Glock fan -- good gun, just not for me -- but at that range the Glock should be reasonably accurate, even with it's long trigger pull.

In brief: make sure you have a good, steady hold on the gun; a well balanced stance; a slow steady pull on the trigger -- squeeze, don't jerk; breath control (breath in, let air halfway out, hold beath during final squeeze of trigger; and make sure you aren't flinching or jerking in anticipation of the gun going off. Don't try for speed at first, try for accuracy. Make sure you are getting a good sight picture; line up front and back sights, focus on front sight, not target.

Look for more experienced and good shooters at your range, ask them to watch you and see if they have any advice.

Edit: It is very important when first learning to shoot that you be AWARE of everything that you are doing. Before you start to shoot, check your balance, make sure your stance is steady. Have you learned the basic stances -- I use a modified isosceles, some like a weaver oriented stance. If you don't know what these are, you need to learn and try them. But FEEL your balance before you shoot. THINK about your sight picture. CONCENTRATE on a slow even squeeze. Eventually these acts will become second nature, but at first you need to consciously take yourself through the steps.

Last edited by txpossum; 10-02-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #16

I agree. I equate shooting a weapon with something like being a good baseball pitcher. It takes thousands of repetitions to become good, and even then you will throw a wild one once and a while.

After reaching a higher level it can also be a perishable skill, so it is important to keep practicing.

It sounds like you are familiar with the basics. If you think there might be a problem with the pistol you might try and find someone at the range that is a pretty good shot and let him shoot it as a test. Good luck.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #17

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Probably your grip. Google up free targets. There are targets you can print and tape to your range paper that will give you indication of what you may be doing with your grip depending on where your shots are grouping. Take your time and study your technique. Just shooting downrange is fun, but it doesn't improve your skill.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #18

Liked 1960 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

It is all about doing everything right all at once. Then doing it exactly the same every time.

Stance should be comfortable and steady with your feet pointing somewhat toward the target. If you are lined up properly you should be able to close your eyes and raise the pistol and have it pointed in the center of the target without having to use muscles to force it on target from side to side. So, start out doing just that. Get your feet comfortable distance apart and raise the gun and see if it comes up naturally to the center without you gaving to make right and left corrections. If not, move your feet until the gun comes up naturally with no right/left correction needed. This will reduce muscle fatigue and shaking that occurs when forcing the gun onto target for extended periods.

That is my first bit of instructional advice. I'll give you some more ideas if you want them when I have a bit more time to type.