Sell me on a glock 19.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Sell me on a glock 19.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Default Sell me on a glock 19.

Going to the local shop on Monday, coming home with something. I like the way the 19 feels (hate the 17). Never shot one, don't know if I will even like it.

The only range in the area wants $50 between the rental, shooting stall and ammo so to put it nicely, they can stick it.

So, I'm flying blind guys. Why should I pick up my first Glock?

BTW, I don't buy into the whole "perfection" thing, its a machine not a miracle. The only reason I'm even considering it is like i said, it fits my hand like a glove.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by sputnik1988; 03-15-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Why should I pick up my first Glock?

...because they go BANG every time.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #3

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKS View Post

So does my 1911

Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2016 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

If you like the Glock 19, get it. Other than that I cant think of a reason. I traded mine off for a Ruger SR9c. I bought an XD45c rather than a Glock. I will be trading or selling my G36 shortly. I have not tried the Gen 4's but the Glocks just dont fit my hand that well. The Ruger, M&P and XD fit me much better.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Get the G23. So that in the future u can get a conversion barrel just like the G19. The 23 uses 0.40 while 19 uses 9mm. The 23 & 19 have the exact size as they are in the compact category. Im saying this bcos i own the 19 and now want to get the 23. Once u own a glock.. its never enough!. IMO

Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
So does my 1911
...and so does my screen door.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #7

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Get the G23. So that in the future u can get a conversion barrel just like the G19. The 23 uses 0.40 while 19 uses 9mm. The 23 & 19 have the exact size as they are in the compact category. Im saying this bcos i own the 19 and now want to get the 23. Once u own a glock.. its never enough!. IMO
I went this route myself last year and plan to get the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G23. This barrel also will fit my G27. You can get a 357Sig barrel too for the 40S&W models. You can't do this with the 9mm versions so going with the G23 or G27 makes a lot of sense if you ever want to try various calibers.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buy it because you said it fits your hand like a glove

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 03-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
BTW, I don't buy into the whole "perfection" thing, its a machine not a miracle. The only reason I'm even considering it is like i said, it fits my hand like a glove.
When I first started getting into shooting, Ii really wanted to hate Glocks, and did for a while. However, I eventually saw the light. I never have, and still don't buy into Glock "Perfection", and I honestly don't think many people do. For me, it's more like Glock "Awesomeness".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKS View Post

As Tim said, they're reliable, but to me, that's not a valid argument on why someone should buy a gun because in my eyes, all guns should be and can be reliable. Most of mine have been 100% reliable.

For me there are two main reasons that I like Glocks, and another for why I like the 19 specifically.

I may be the odd one out here, but I like the Glock hump and grip angle. People can complain about it, and show diagrams of it and why it isn't ergonomic, but all I know is that they fit my hands well and I can flat out shoot them, better than I shoot any other pistols at this point.

The other reason I like Glocks is their simplicity. I can have my 19 totally detail stripped in about 3 minutes, and back together in about 5. Want a different slide release? You can change it out. Want a lighter trigger? You can make it happen with little work. Mag release too short for you? Take 2 minutes and put in a longer one.

I know there are aftermarket parts for other pistols, but rarely are they as easy to change out as they are in a Glock. I'm pretty sure I could give a monkey and Glock tool and have him go to town.

The main reason I like the Glock 19, is as James Yeager from Tactical Response says, "It's big enough to fight with but small enough to carry." The 19 is my EDC gun, and I have no problem concealing it in my Florida summer clothes. I wear the same types and size of clothes I do now as I did before I started carrying. Large shirt and shorts. The grip is big enough for your whole hand, has a 15 round capacity which can be increased to 17, 19 or 33 with other mags, and has a 4" barrel. All of these things make it a perfectly capable fighting pistol.

I have a Glock 26 with a Crossbreed, but it always stays at home while my 19 in a Raven is always on my side.

If this convinces you, great, it not, that's ok too. The Glock 19 Gen3 is my personal favorite handgun at this point in time, but it may not be right for you. If you spend the $50 to rent it, in my opinion that's money well spent. Most of that is ammo and the range fee anyway, which is something you have to pay for regardless.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #10

Liked 421 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 1242

go to youtube and watch the torture tests.also see if you can find torture tests for the other guns your interested in thats what sold me on my first glock and have not regreted it yet.1911s are nice i also carry one on my ccw but it stays in my truck its just to heavy for my likeing.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.