Self Defense Rounds - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Self Defense Rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
ET1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I use Winchester PDX1 in my Glocks. The 21sf sits by my bedside at night and the G27 is used as my CC gun. I am thankful that I can not tell you how effective they are on BGs, because I have never shot one. (And hope I never do) but I will shoot if I need to! That will be up to the BG, If they run I won't shoot them in the back. If they stand their ground I will have no choice.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Without trying to start a mudslinging contest, I would advise against Glaser Safety Slugs or other similar ammunition like MagSafe. Others may disagree, but when given a choice in handgun ammunition I will opt for the larger, heavier bullet.

I tend to believe the most important factors for self defense handgun ammunition are permanent wound cavity and penetration. To quote the FBI, "the bullet must pass through large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding."

I would recommend a quality self defense round in the 155-180 grain variety. Corbon DPX, Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger are all excellent choices. As previously mentioned, spend a little money to shoot at least one box of your chosen ammunition to make sure your firearm will feed it reliably.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 08-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #13

I'm using the federal hydra shock, in my Glock 22 (40cal) and the wife is using the same in the 9mm (Ruger SR9c). the round is nice and does the job. NO crap on the miss. She gives me enough.....IMHO this round is really nice. not that I have shot alot of SD rounds so when you find one that you like let me know and if it is different I'll give it a try.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Without trying to start a mudslinging contest, I would advise against Glaser Safety Slugs or other similar ammunition like MagSafe. Others may disagree, but when given a choice in handgun ammunition I will opt for the larger, heavier bullet.

I tend to believe the most important factors for self defense handgun ammunition are permanent wound cavity and penetration. To quote the FBI, "the bullet must pass through large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding."

I would recommend a quality self defense round in the 155-180 grain variety. Corbon DPX, Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger are all excellent choices. As previously mentioned, spend a little money to shoot at least one box of your chosen ammunition to make sure your firearm will feed it reliably.
Well said, Bighead. I agree completely.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."