Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Self Defense Rounds (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/self-defense-rounds-30183/)

TheSadPanda 08-08-2010 08:18 AM

Self Defense Rounds

I'm posting this in the glock forum because its about a glock, and there hasnt been much action in the glock section lately :confused:

Anyway, I have a glock 23 40 S&W, and I have no idea what kind of rounds would be best for home defense! I'd like to use a shotty for this, but I lack one at the moment. Specific Brands and bullet weights are very helpful. also WHY that one in particular would be good to know :p

spittinfire 08-08-2010 12:05 PM

There are a number of factory loads available, Winchester Rangers, Gold Dots, DPX, PDX1, Federal HSTs, Hydra shocks, Buffalo bore has some good loads(I believe they use Gold Dot bullets). These are all well respected SD rounds and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. "The best" will vary with who you ask. I personally carry Federal HSTs in my 45. I picked it after reading about it and testing it in my own gun. In my own tests they expand to nearly 1", 0.90+ is very common and they retain their weight.

Whatever bullet you decide to use make sure you test it in your pistol. I got 3 boxes of HSTs and tested them from slow fire, double taps and as fast as I could empty the mag. After I did that and didn't have a single problem I felt comfortable carrying them.

StanDJ77 08-08-2010 08:20 PM

Ive got my heart set on a G23 or 22.I guess i have average size hands so, Im wondering which would feel better in my hand.

sweeper22 08-08-2010 11:10 PM

With this caliber weight is more an issue than brand. There are basically 3 common weight ranges for 40sw defense ammo, and they all have their merits.

180gr: Full weight load, 950-1000 fps, ballistics similar to 185gr 45acp
155-165gr: Medium weight, 1100+ fps, most common civilian choice (I think)
135-140gr: Lighter faster 1200+fps CorBon offerings, similar to 357sig, preferred by some PDs

I don't shoot much 40sw myself. But the fact is it's a good defense round and all of these weight ranges will get the job done. Tinker around with them and see which you like best. Your gun (Glock) ought to have little trouble digesting any of it.

Check out Ammo2Go. They have great selection and competitive prices. Hard to go wrong given their current prices for Rangers ($24.95) and Gold Dots ($27.95)...both in the 50rd boxes.

sweeper22 08-08-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanDJ77 (Post 328177)
Ive got my heart set on a G23 or 22.I guess i have average size hands so, Im wondering which would feel better in my hand.

With average sized hands the grip probably won't be a factor. If you even might want to carry this down the line, lean toward the 23. It's worth mentioning that G23 is in greater demand on the used market than the G22 from what I've seen.

If you will not carry this gun, try both.

hunter Joe 08-08-2010 11:40 PM

Go grab the Glock 22 Gen 3 and then grab the 22 Gen 4. The gen 4 has a shorter length of pull than the Gen 3 which has become very popular with people with smaller hands. The Gen 4 also comes with two extra back straps which also enhances the fit.

I'm shooting a 22 Gen 3 but prefer the way the Gen 4 fits my over sized paws.

canebrake 08-08-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSadPanda (Post 327994)
Anyway, I have a glock 23 40 S&W, and I have no idea what kind of rounds would be best for home defense! I'd like to use a shotty for this, but I lack one at the moment. Specific Brands and bullet weights are very helpful. also WHY that one in particular would be good to know :p

COR®BON/Glaser Safety Slug

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v.../ammo/40sw.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...o/473125-1.jpg

The #12 shot is capped with a Blue ball. It produces immediate energy
dispersal, creating abrupt stopping power. It is optimally designed for
warmer climates and lighter clothing.

The larger #6 shot is capped with a Silver ball. It will typically give an additional two inches
soft tissue penetration, controlled energy release and target accuracy
with a self-defense handgun. This load is designed for colder climates and
heavier clothing.

Caliber: 40 S&W
Bullet Wt.: 115gr
Velocity: 1400fps
Energy: 501ftlbs
Test Barrel Length: 4.0 Inches

Home Defense. It's what it was made for!

The Glaser Safety Slug uses shot compressed into a solid form, which produces immediate energy dispersal into the target, reducing the possibility of over penetration and creating abrupt stopping power. The numerous projectiles disperses outward generating an effective wound cavity. This load reduces the possibility of over penetration through the intended target. It provides for an added margin of safety. A missed round is much more likely to break up on an interior wall and dump its energy rather than proceeding unabated into an adjoining room and injuring an innocent bystander.

TheSadPanda 08-09-2010 12:51 AM

Spittin- Thanks for the list of possibiblities. I'll definitely do some research on them and pick a few to try out.

Cane- I will definitely add those to my list. I'd never even heard of them before, but they sound tramatic ;) Avoiding over penetration is a pretty big concern for me, so these could lend some peace of mind.

Stan- I'd say see if theres anyway you could rent both at a range and try them out. If not, just got to a store and ask to see them both and see which ones fits you better and go from there! let us know what you choose :)

canebrake 08-09-2010 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSadPanda (Post 328263)
Cane- I will definitely add those to my list. I'd never even heard of them before, but they sound tramatic ;) Avoiding over penetration is a pretty big concern for me, so these could lend some peace of mind.

In my EDC the first two rounds are Silver ball. Besides the obvious reason they are also proven to penetrate auto windshields and deform much less than JHP's when passing through auto side glass. The remaining mag is loaded with Horandy TAP® FPD™.

M14sRock 08-09-2010 01:40 AM

Gold Dots have proven themselves solid performers.

The store I worked in in the late '80's sold a lot of Glasers. We had some clients that used them on bad guys and they failed to perform as advertised. Maybe they have improved the formula since then, but I would never trust them again after listening to their stories.

Another type of "safety slug" that did get some good results on a sponsored hog hunt were the MagSafe brand.