Scary moment

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Scary moment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So i just got back from the range. Took my glock17 to shoot since i. aint shot it in awhile since i got my 23. I also took my 23 to shoot since i just had night sights installed and i put a houge grip on it also to get the feel of the grip and new sights to make sure they were zeroed in right. Well i got home and broke both pistols down and cleaned my 23 first, so i thought, well i cleaned the 23 slide and i thought i was cleaning the 23 reciever but in fact i was cleaning the 17 reciever well too make a long story short when i was done cleaning the 23 i put the 23 slide on the 17 reciever. I kno i kno a bone head move not really paying attention had a basketball game on tv i was watching. Man let me tell you it wasnt pretty when i realized what i did wrong. Man i thought here i go thought i had to take it to a smith and get it right i didnt want to mess both halfs of both pieces up. Man scary, so i calmed down took a deep breath and was able to pull back the slide just enough to field strip the piece and get the slide off. Fellas let me tell you this was an eye opener for me gotta pay better attention and or clean 1 at a time, im so glad i got it off and it only took a second to figure it out. On a more positive note the more i shoot the 17 the more i love it and the 23 as well but i had a 5 inch group center mass my groups were so good i could put my fist clean through the center of my target punched the x ring out and then some, shooting at 20 yards single, double, and triple taps. Man i love that piece. Im almost there with my 23 i grouped quite well with it also and the sights were on point and the hogue grip actually soaked up the recoil and tamed that snappy 40 round it almost felt like my 9 with a proper grip and my modified weaver stance.

Last edited by glockcoma; 01-16-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #2

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I gotta ask, why did you have them both disassembled at the same time and mixed together?

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #3

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I gotta ask, why did you have them both disassembled at the same time and mixed together?
Only one reason i can think of but i aint gonna say cause i'm being good

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #4

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcoma
So i just got back from the range. Took my glock17 to shoot since i. aint shot it in awhile since i got my 23. I also took my 23 to shoot since i just had night sights installed and i put a houge grip on it also to get the feel of the grip and new sights to make sure they were zeroed in right. Well i got home and broke both pistols down and cleaned my 23 first, so i thought, well i cleaned the 23 slide and i thought i was cleaning the 23 reciever but in fact i was cleaning the 17 reciever well too make a long story short when i was done cleaning the 23 i put the 23 slide on the 17 reciever. I kno i kno a bone head move not really paying attention had a basketball game on tv i was watching. Man let me tell you it wasnt pretty when i realized what i did wrong. Man i thought here i go thought i had to take it to a smith and get it right i didnt want to mess both halfs of both pieces up. Man scary, so i calmed down took a deep breath and was able to pull back the slide just enough to field strip the piece and get the slide off. Fellas let me tell you this was an eye opener for me gotta pay better attention and or clean 1 at a time, im so glad i got it off and it only took a second to figure it out. On a more positive note the more i shoot the 17 the more i love it and the 23 as well but i had a 5 inch group center mass my groups were so good i could put my fist clean through the center of my target punched the x ring out and then some, shooting at 20 yards single, double, and triple taps. Man i love that piece. Im almost there with my 23 i grouped quite well with it also and the sights were on point and the hogue grip actually soaked up the recoil and tamed that snappy 40 round it almost felt like my 9 with a proper grip and my modified weaver stance.
So, are you saying that you mixed the frame/slides BEFORE your range session, or after you returned?

That was some hard s..t to follow bro...no offense.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

When i am cleaning my pistol(s) i prefer to be at the table where there is no distractions. I think cleaning more than one pistol at a time can cause some confusion especially if your distracted.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23
When i am cleaning my pistol(s) i prefer to be at the table where there is no distractions. I think cleaning more than one pistol at a time can cause some confusion especially if your distracted.
I like to clean my guns in the living room on my ottoman while im alone.its actually relaxing for me,and i never clean more than 1 at a time,i dont like puzzles

Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I see nothing wrong with cleaning more than one at a time, but I remember the old outlaw rule, reinforced in the Marines, always have at least one gun on hand ready to go.

But something that looks so similar, like 2 GLOCKs? Nah, man, you got lucky. Glad it worked out for you in the end, and everyday can be a learning experience.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I see nothing wrong with cleaning more than one at a time, but I remember the old outlaw rule, reinforced in the Marines, always have at least one gun on hand ready to go.

But something that looks so similar, like 2 GLOCKs? Nah, man, you got lucky. Glad it worked out for you in the end, and everyday can be a learning experience.
+1 you were lucky. And I concur with wray, I like to be alone when i clean my guns just in case the one time I don't so a "safety check" no one gets injured but me. I'm pretty anal about gun safety and gun cleaning and maintenance so i don't think that will ever be a problem but I still stick my rule as a precaution.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I didnt i had the 23 field stripped and the 17 broke dwn to just the slide and receiver. I just grabbed the wrong receiver when i put the 23 back together, really not paying attention trying to watch the game.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #10

I was cleaning my G31 about 5 years back and i had it disassembled in my living room floor.after i finished cleaning it i started to re-assemble it,then my wife walked in and starting talking to me.while i was talking to her i wasnt paying attention and placed the barrel back into the slide and slid the frame back on "without the damn RSA". it me forever to get that stinkin slide back off.. That sucked!!