Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Scary moment (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/scary-moment-55624/)

glockcoma 01-16-2012 10:23 PM

So i just got back from the range. Took my glock17 to shoot since i. aint shot it in awhile since i got my 23. I also took my 23 to shoot since i just had night sights installed and i put a houge grip on it also to get the feel of the grip and new sights to make sure they were zeroed in right. Well i got home and broke both pistols down and cleaned my 23 first, so i thought, well i cleaned the 23 slide and i thought i was cleaning the 23 reciever but in fact i was cleaning the 17 reciever well too make a long story short when i was done cleaning the 23 i put the 23 slide on the 17 reciever. I kno i kno a bone head move not really paying attention had a basketball game on tv i was watching. Man let me tell you it wasnt pretty when i realized what i did wrong. Man i thought here i go thought i had to take it to a smith and get it right i didnt want to mess both halfs of both pieces up. Man scary, so i calmed down took a deep breath and was able to pull back the slide just enough to field strip the piece and get the slide off. Fellas let me tell you this was an eye opener for me gotta pay better attention and or clean 1 at a time, im so glad i got it off and it only took a second to figure it out. On a more positive note the more i shoot the 17 the more i love it and the 23 as well but i had a 5 inch group center mass my groups were so good i could put my fist clean through the center of my target punched the x ring out and then some, shooting at 20 yards single, double, and triple taps. Man i love that piece. Im almost there with my 23 i grouped quite well with it also and the sights were on point and the hogue grip actually soaked up the recoil and tamed that snappy 40 round it almost felt like my 9 with a proper grip and my modified weaver stance.

MrWray 01-16-2012 11:57 PM

I gotta ask, why did you have them both disassembled at the same time and mixed together?

HOSSFLY 01-17-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray (Post 679266)
I gotta ask, why did you have them both disassembled at the same time and mixed together?

Only one reason i can think of but i aint gonna say cause i'm being good :rolleyes:

Chandler51 01-17-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockcoma
So i just got back from the range. Took my glock17 to shoot since i. aint shot it in awhile since i got my 23. I also took my 23 to shoot since i just had night sights installed and i put a houge grip on it also to get the feel of the grip and new sights to make sure they were zeroed in right. Well i got home and broke both pistols down and cleaned my 23 first, so i thought, well i cleaned the 23 slide and i thought i was cleaning the 23 reciever but in fact i was cleaning the 17 reciever well too make a long story short when i was done cleaning the 23 i put the 23 slide on the 17 reciever. I kno i kno a bone head move not really paying attention had a basketball game on tv i was watching. Man let me tell you it wasnt pretty when i realized what i did wrong. Man i thought here i go thought i had to take it to a smith and get it right i didnt want to mess both halfs of both pieces up. Man scary, so i calmed down took a deep breath and was able to pull back the slide just enough to field strip the piece and get the slide off. Fellas let me tell you this was an eye opener for me gotta pay better attention and or clean 1 at a time, im so glad i got it off and it only took a second to figure it out. On a more positive note the more i shoot the 17 the more i love it and the 23 as well but i had a 5 inch group center mass my groups were so good i could put my fist clean through the center of my target punched the x ring out and then some, shooting at 20 yards single, double, and triple taps. Man i love that piece. Im almost there with my 23 i grouped quite well with it also and the sights were on point and the hogue grip actually soaked up the recoil and tamed that snappy 40 round it almost felt like my 9 with a proper grip and my modified weaver stance.

So, are you saying that you mixed the frame/slides BEFORE your range session, or after you returned?

That was some hard s..t to follow bro...no offense.

Glockpotion23 01-17-2012 12:56 AM

When i am cleaning my pistol(s) i prefer to be at the table where there is no distractions. I think cleaning more than one pistol at a time can cause some confusion especially if your distracted.

MrWray 01-17-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glockpotion23
When i am cleaning my pistol(s) i prefer to be at the table where there is no distractions. I think cleaning more than one pistol at a time can cause some confusion especially if your distracted.

I like to clean my guns in the living room on my ottoman while im alone.its actually relaxing for me,and i never clean more than 1 at a time,i dont like puzzles

trip286 01-17-2012 01:28 AM

I see nothing wrong with cleaning more than one at a time, but I remember the old outlaw rule, reinforced in the Marines, always have at least one gun on hand ready to go.

But something that looks so similar, like 2 GLOCKs? Nah, man, you got lucky. Glad it worked out for you in the end, and everyday can be a learning experience.

g17frantz 01-17-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
I see nothing wrong with cleaning more than one at a time, but I remember the old outlaw rule, reinforced in the Marines, always have at least one gun on hand ready to go.

But something that looks so similar, like 2 GLOCKs? Nah, man, you got lucky. Glad it worked out for you in the end, and everyday can be a learning experience.

+1 you were lucky. And I concur with wray, I like to be alone when i clean my guns just in case the one time I don't so a "safety check" no one gets injured but me. I'm pretty anal about gun safety and gun cleaning and maintenance so i don't think that will ever be a problem but I still stick my rule as a precaution.

glockcoma 01-17-2012 05:33 AM

I didnt i had the 23 field stripped and the 17 broke dwn to just the slide and receiver. I just grabbed the wrong receiver when i put the 23 back together, really not paying attention trying to watch the game.

MrWray 01-17-2012 05:42 AM

I was cleaning my G31 about 5 years back and i had it disassembled in my living room floor.after i finished cleaning it i started to re-assemble it,then my wife walked in and starting talking to me.while i was talking to her i wasnt paying attention and placed the barrel back into the slide and slid the frame back on "without the damn RSA". it me forever to get that stinkin slide back off.. That sucked!!