Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Rookie needs some advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/rookie-needs-some-advice-4505/)

juicetree 05-19-2008 02:57 AM

Rookie needs some advice

I just purchased a used Glock 17. I paid $500 for the pistol,holster,2 17 round magazines, 1 30 round magazine, 1 Glock knife, and 50 rounds. I am thinking that it is a Gen 1. It has no mounting rails and no finger grips. I was wondering if I paid too much for it? I was told that I should have only given the guy $350 for it. Like I said I am a rookie at the gun purchasing thing.

yankee2500 05-19-2008 04:09 PM

Well you may have paid a little too much, the 30rd. mag, knife and 50rds. would have set you back $50 to $60, can't price the holster not knowing what brand or model it is. You can call Glock and they will be able to tell you when the pistol was made by the ser.#. The bottom line is if you are happy with what you got for the price don't dwell on it. Next time do your homework and know how much it's worth before you buy. We have all had hindsight issues it one time or another. John

juicetree 05-21-2008 01:23 AM

Shot it

Yeah just went out and shot my Glock today put about 100 rounds through it. I actually shot a really good pattern with it. Love the smooth trigger on it. Can't really complain about it. I only have two things about it. I have to aim low on my target. Two when I cock the slide back it looks as if the barrel and the spring rod are bent upward. I don't know if this is normal or not but I had no problem shooting it.

cpttango30 05-21-2008 02:16 PM

Yes th barrel is normal. The barrel has to drop down out of battery to allow the slide to move towards the rear. It looks really goofy I know.

As for the sights I believe you need to make the front sight tallerto bring your groups down. So you might need to have new sights installed with a taller front sight or just get used to where it shoots and train yourself to aim low.

As far as the price. It sounds like you did slightly over pay but if it is what you wanted and had everthing you wanted you did good. I know guys that would find something like that and pass because it was $50 higher than they thought it should be. Then the ended up buying something they didn't want because they passed up that deal.

30 rd stick How is that sucker to load. I was shooting a friends 15 rd 9mm and I could not get more than 12 in the mag no matter what I did.

You have a fine pistol with the extras you wanted. That Glock will last a long time. This is comming from a sworn on the bible glock hater. Getting a good deal is relitive. If you are happy with it then you got a good deal.

Now GO SHOOT MORE. only 100 rounds in a shooting session? That there is not enough. (Just Kidding)

juicetree 05-23-2008 05:03 AM

Yeah

Yeah I haven't even tried to load that 30 rd mag yet. It ( to me ) looks kinda retarded in my gun. I did get all 18 rds in my mags and yes the last 4 were a pain in the rear but i got them in there. They are relatively new so the spring is still pretty stiff. Can't wait to get a paycheck so I can get more ammo. Unfortunately bill's come first. But I will make sure to get some more rounds through it before I try and qualify with it.

lasvegascop 05-27-2008 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankee2500 (Post 24576)
Well you may have paid a little too much, the 30rd. mag, knife and 50rds. would have set you back $50 to $60, can't price the holster not knowing what brand or model it is. You can call Glock and they will be able to tell you when the pistol was made by the ser.#. The bottom line is if you are happy with what you got for the price don't dwell on it. Next time do your homework and know how much it's worth before you buy. We have all had hindsight issues it one time or another. John

100% correct...

That 17 will probably out last you.